Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of…

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Benjamin Alire Saenz

Member:EuronerdLibrarian
Title:Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
Authors:Benjamin Alire Saenz
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Teens
Tags:texas, homosexuality, lgbtq, mexicans, mexican americans, violence, relationships, identity, family, meditative, thoughtful, 1980s, love, realistic, gr9, gr10, gr11, gr12

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (2012)

English (161)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All (163)
This was one of those random books I picked up from my local library. My local library has a "Lucky Day" shelf where they'll have in-demand books, new and old, available as first come, first serve. Some times they even include little gems such as this one I found. I've come across a lot of these little gems from the "Lucky Day" shelf, so every week when I'm in there I stop and take a look at the shelf to see if there's anything interesting.

I picked up this book without any knowledge about the subject matter; I quickly read the summary while at the library but it was the title and the cover that realy captured my attention and made me want to read it. I am so glad I picked up the book because it was wonderful and an incredible surprise. It had me thinking for days afterwards about the struggles that Aristotle and Dante face and will likely continue to face in their lives because of who they are. It made me sad, but also incredibly happy to see them discover who they are and what they are to one another. It's a great book for all age groups (maybe with the exception of children - subject matter is too heavy for such young kids) and an opening to talk about difficult subject matters. ( )
1 vote jthao_02 | May 18, 2017 |
Whatever this book didn't have in the first half is made up in the second half.

Spoilers ahead:

It starts as a boring teenage boy story at 1980s in a Mexican neighborhood down south. He is alone, has routine problems and original ones that is related to his brother in prison and veteran father (at first it seems). He finds a friend that is different from him, but also similar to the person he wants to be. This boring two teenage boys story turns into a surprising love story, and secrets that he kept from himself and his family kept from him starts to spill.

First half of this book was slow moving and seemed like entirely made of conversations. These conversations were completely common and I began to wonder if I should just give up. But his writing was effortlessly beautiful. I wanted to stay and listen some more. I am glad I did.

I am also glad he wrote about a subject that is very controversial, but also he did it in a way that it did not feel weird or educational. It was completely normal to discover the secrets of the universe in the hearts of two teenagers. ( )
  soontobefree | May 1, 2017 |
I don't really like this book. I didn't really enjoy reading it and I thought it was a bit silly. But it's not bad either. I have no idea what to do with it. ( )
  kthxy | May 1, 2017 |
Best book in the history of books. ( )
  vilmao | Apr 27, 2017 |
Oh, my heart. This book is such beauty and loveliness. ( )
  brideofsevenless | Apr 18, 2017 |
added by gsc55 | editBoys in our Books, Susan (Nov 12, 2014)

added by gsc55 | editMM Good Book Reviews, Tams (Oct 2, 2014)

To all the boys who've had to learn to play by different rules
One summer night I fell asleep, hoping the world would be different when I woke. In the morning, when I opened my eyes, the world was the same.

Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.

Fifteen-year-old Ari Mendoza is an angry loner with a brother in prison, but when he meets Dante and they become friends, Ari starts to ask questions about himself, his parents, and his family that he has never asked before.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,379,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible