Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of…

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Benjamin Alire Saenz

Member:EuronerdLibrarian
Title:Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
Authors:Benjamin Alire Saenz
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Teens
Tags:texas, homosexuality, lgbtq, mexicans, mexican americans, violence, relationships, identity, family, meditative, thoughtful, 1980s, love, realistic, gr9, gr10, gr11, gr12

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (2012)

Recently added byprivate library, K.thoma, mfabriz, davidgn, xholocene, RaeMarie23, mrsrobin, heatherbadger, lapiccolina

English (167)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All (169)
Booklist, December 15, 2013
  K.thoma | Jun 27, 2017 |
Excellent coming-of-age story with beautiful characters. sometimes I weary with Ari's repetitive musings, but overall a great book that I listened to in the car. ( )
  mfabriz | Jun 26, 2017 |
Mon livre préféré de tout les temps... ( )
  meerabelle | Jun 21, 2017 |
just... this book. i have no words to describe it ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
Am I 10,000 years behind on this? Yes I am 10,000 years behind on this. This book is exactly as beautiful as everyone has told me, and it grapples so deftly with trauma, both generational and acute, and also with like... being gay, kind of obviously? (If you manage to get a copy that doesn't have all the awards on it, uh, it's a gay book, just fyi.)

I ugly cried on the bus in public (which- while crying is not rare for me reading, doing so IN PUBLIC is way less common for me now than it used to be) at the last uh probably ~fifth of the book? It was. So intense and also so beautiful and worth it. Please read this if you haven't already--it's just beautifully, gorgeously written.

SPOILER THAT IS ALSO A WARNING
I do want to note that there is an incident of offscreen queerbashing that is a pretty major plot point? And it was uh... like a Thing for me personally and I want to make sure folks don't necessarily go in blind. ( )
  aijmiller | Jun 16, 2017 |
added by gsc55 | editBoys in our Books, Susan (Nov 12, 2014)

added by gsc55 | editMM Good Book Reviews, Tams (Oct 2, 2014)

To all the boys who've had to learn to play by different rules
One summer night I fell asleep, hoping the world would be different when I woke. In the morning, when I opened my eyes, the world was the same.

Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.

Fifteen-year-old Ari Mendoza is an angry loner with a brother in prison, but when he meets Dante and they become friends, Ari starts to ask questions about himself, his parents, and his family that he has never asked before.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,174,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible