Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of…

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Benjamin Alire Saenz

Member:EuronerdLibrarian
Title:Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
Authors:Benjamin Alire Saenz
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Teens
Tags:texas, homosexuality, lgbtq, mexicans, mexican americans, violence, relationships, identity, family, meditative, thoughtful, 1980s, love, realistic, gr9, gr10, gr11, gr12

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (2012)

English (150)  German (1)  English (151)
This was an wonderful read. Several things about this book - point of view, writing style, flow - were things that typically I would not enjoy in a book. However, the author wove a beautiful tale together that made me want to keep reading and feeling. This book was one of those that I felt in my rib cage. It left me melancholy for the summers of my youth but excited to discover the secrets of my own universe. I will read this book again and again. ( )
  cbrwn92 | Nov 7, 2016 |
This was so, so lovely. I don't know what else to say. ( )
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
This was so, so lovely. I don't know what else to say. ( )
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
Whatever this book didn't have in the first half is made up in the second half.

Spoilers ahead:

It starts as a boring teenage boy story at 1980s in a Mexican neighborhood down south. He is alone, has routine problems and original ones that is related to his brother in prison and veteran father (at first it seems). He finds a friend that is different from him, but also similar to the person he wants to be. This boring two teenage boys story turns into a surprising love story, and secrets that he kept from himself and his family kept from him starts to spill.

First half of this book was slow moving and seemed like entirely made of conversations. These conversations were completely common and I began to wonder if I should just give up. But his writing was effortlessly beautiful. I wanted to stay and listen some more. I am glad I did.

I am also glad he wrote about a subject that is very controversial, but also he did it in a way that it did not feel weird or educational. It was completely normal to discover the secrets of the universe in the hearts of two teenagers. ( )
  soontobefree | Nov 2, 2016 |
Another YA novel that needn't be labeled as such. Set during a summer, teenage El Paso Mexican-American boys Dante and Ari meet and help each other work through a boatload of troubling issues, including incarcerated family members, PTSD, sexuality, and how to deal with all the feels. Ari's voice is so strong yet doubtful and questioning that it touches the reader's heart deeply. Both of the boys have complicated families and the parents are also very realistic and great/awful, as seen by any 15 year old. This winner of many awards is not to be forgotten and perhaps even worthy of a reread. ( )
  froxgirl | Oct 27, 2016 |
added by gsc55 | editBoys in our Books, Susan (Nov 12, 2014)

added by gsc55 | editMM Good Book Reviews, Tams (Oct 2, 2014)

To all the boys who've had to learn to play by different rules
One summer night I fell asleep, hoping the world would be different when I woke. In the morning, when I opened my eyes, the world was the same.

Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.

Fifteen-year-old Ari Mendoza is an angry loner with a brother in prison, but when he meets Dante and they become friends, Ari starts to ask questions about himself, his parents, and his family that he has never asked before.

224 wanted6 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,638,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible