Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of…

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Benjamin Alire Saenz

Member:EuronerdLibrarian
Title:Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
Authors:Benjamin Alire Saenz
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Teens
Tags:texas, homosexuality, lgbtq, mexicans, mexican americans, violence, relationships, identity, family, meditative, thoughtful, 1980s, love, realistic, gr9, gr10, gr11, gr12

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (2012)

English (124)  German (1)  All languages (125)
What to say about a book that totally beat me up emotionally? This is just a beautiful book of discovery, acceptance and love, with every single character portrayed in such a rich and poignant way. I am just not sure what else to say. ^-^

Just a lovely read with my friend Andrew." ( )
  JulieCovington | May 29, 2016 |
I read this book in one four-hour sitting. I don't remember the last time a book hooked me from the beginning like this one did. I don't remember the last time a book made me cry so hard that I had to stop between chapters because I couldn't see through my tears. (Deathly Hallows, perhaps? I mean, I am admittedly an easy crier, but I hardly ever full-out sob because of a work of fiction.) This book is real and honest. It shows how two boys grow over the span of a year and how nothing and everything happens all at once. It takes issues of class, gender, sexuality, and race and shows how they all intersect without taking the spotlight away from Ari and Dante for one second. This is the kind of book that will stay with you for a long, long time, and I don't think I could ever recommend it enough. ( )
  captainmander | May 11, 2016 |
Compelling novel about two Mexican American teenage boys grappling with identity, sexuality, family secrets and love. Quite lovely. ( )
  blgriffin | Apr 27, 2016 |
A teenage boy in the 1980s forms a close friendship with another, but has difficulty accepting what he feels is actually love. Good for high school. Recommend to students interested in reading about love and/or LGTBQ issues. ( )
  KristineCA | Apr 26, 2016 |
This novel is a coming-of-age story about two Mexican-American teens. Ari is a bored teen who has a turbulent relationship with his father and a close relationship with his mother. Dante is a confident, happy teen who has an unusual view of the world. The boys meet at the pool and become fast friends even though they have little in common. Throughout the summer the boys spend much time together as each struggle through sickness and injury. At the end of the summer Dante moves away and he confesses his love for Ari. Ari tells Dante that he should not feel that way about him. Throughout their separation, the boys explore girls, alcohol, and drugs as a means of seeking themselves. Dante returns for the summer and Ari accepts his sexuality but refuses to return Dante's affections. When he attends his aunt's funeral, Ari discovers that his aunt lived with another woman thus causing many in the family to reject her. Ari's mother also tells him about his brother. The secrets of the universe are revealed and Ari seeks to avenge Dante's attackers. With the blessing of his parents, Ari finally realizes that he is meant to love Dante, and the two boys begin a new kind of relationship. The motif of dying birds can lead to interesting class discussions. Are the boys who resist becoming their true selves because of societal expectations? How could the boys' heritage complicate their decision-making? The evidence about societal expectations is clearly presented as Ari's brother is in prison for killing a transgender prostitute and Dante is beaten by a group of boys who see Dante kissing another boy. This novel could be a real world connection for a unit on conformity and individuality. It is an excellent text when discussing Transcendental literature - "be true to yourself." ( )
  sgemmell | Apr 19, 2016 |
added by gsc55 | editBoys in our Books, Susan (Nov 12, 2014)

added by gsc55 | editMM Good Book Reviews, Tams (Oct 2, 2014)

Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.

Fifteen-year-old Ari Mendoza is an angry loner with a brother in prison, but when he meets Dante and they become friends, Ari starts to ask questions about himself, his parents, and his family that he has never asked before.

199 wanted4 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,954,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible