Lovesick by Spencer Seidel

Info:PublishingWorks (2011), Kindle Edition
Rating:***

Lovesick by Spencer Seidel

Description:

The Portland police discover a gruesome scene on the Eastern Promenade Trail; seventeen year old Paul Ducharme is found cradling the body of his lifeless best friend, Lee Janis, while sitting in a pool of blood. To make matters worse, both men are already suspects in the disappearance of Wendy Trower, a classmate who has been missing for a couple of weeks. But Paul cannot remember what happened in either situation, so his attorney, Rudy Swaner calls on a friend he can trust – forensic psychologist Dr. Lisa Boyers.

Her methods seem to work when it comes to retrieving Paul's memories, but she does not anticipate the truth. Paul's tragic story of love, heartbreak and deceit begins to awaken Lisa's own memories, ones that she would rather keep buried. Are the skeleton's in her closet worth dropping her client? Can the case, and Lisa's past, escape the media spotlight long enough for the police to find Wendy and determine Paul's innocence/guilt?

Review:

I have not read Spencer Seidel's Dead of Wynter, so I didn't know what to expect from his newest release, Lovesick. The story pulled me in quickly, the plot building from page one; I managed to read it in a single sitting and enjoyed its psychological twists. I was sort of disappointed that the story-line was predictable, but overall I thought it was well-written and properly structured. I was completely thrown off course by the ending though, (no spoilers), which earns the author a thumbs-up. I also thought that the characters were very well-developed personality wise. Each character had their own distinct voice, especially Paul and Lisa who I empathized with the most. I spent a good part of the book wrestling with Paul's guilt versus innocence. I hoped he was not a murder, especially after hearing about the “love triangle” and the woods from his (third person) point of view. Spencer Seidel has an interesting way of narrating character memories that makes them seem more realistic. The dialogue had the same effect, and it fit the appropriate age of the characters. Overall, it was a great psychological thriller – gritty, compelling, and full of dark curves. Recommended for teens through adults, particularly those seeking psychological thrills. (Contains Language/Gore)

Rating: On the Run (4/5)

*** I received this book from the author (BookTrib) in exchange for an honest and unbiased review. ( )
  Allizabeth | May 12, 2012 |
About:
After having read Spencer Seidel's Dead of Wynter last year, I jumped at the opportunity to read this latest thrilling novel, Lovesick.

Dr. Lisa Boyers has been called upon an old friend, Attorney Rudy Swaner, to interview seventeen year old Paul Ducharme. Paul is being held for murder charges. He was found in the woods sitting in a pool of his best friend Lee Janise's blood, cradling his body. Added to that, a girl named Wendy Trower has been missing for weeks. These three teens were all close friends and schoolmates. Paul is in shock and cannot remember much about the murder.

Truths begin to unfold and events take a turn for the worse and Lisa finds herself in danger as her own past begins to haunt her. She was once married to an abusive cop and is trying hard to forget her painful past.
As she works on this high profile case, Lisa gets sucked into the the middle of a media circus and she fears for her life as she realizes she is being stalked. Her old friend Rudy wants to be a part of her life again, but Lisa resists him, she has too many personal demons and too many bad memories.

My thoughts:
Wow! Reading Lovesick was a thrill ride. I was hooked in from the start. The plot is intense.

Once Paul began to share his memories with Lisa, I was sitting on the edge of my seat. I just had to know everything. I felt like I was investigating the crime too, and the answers were slowly revealing themselves.
I so badly wanted Paul to be innocent. As he narrated his part of the story to Lisa, I felt bad for him. He seemed like a good kid who just got mixed in with the wrong people.

Author Spencer Seidel does a fantastic job at writing those awkward teenage feelings, those years when everything is already complicated, yet more so with these three teenagers. In the midst of everything, Paul's best friend Lee is mentally unstable. Wendy, the girl he loves, is crying out for help and harboring some very twisted secrets.

Paul finds himself in a bitter love triangle, where nothing is as it seems and where he realizes his best friends are hiding so much from him. Wendy and Lee feed off each others dysfunction. The dynamic between these three was fascinating, in a morbid sort of way.

read my full review here

Special thanks to BookTrib for my review copy. ( )
  bookworm_naida | Feb 15, 2012 |
Lovesick by Spencer Seidel (available in ebook now, and paperback in June 2012) is a crime thriller with a psychological twist. Dr. Lisa Boyers is a forensic psychologist and she agrees to assess Paul Ducharme, whose now infamous murder of his best friend Lee on the Eastern Promenade Trail in Portland is gaining national attention. Boyers is brought closer to her past than she’s comfortable with when a former friend, Rudy Swaner, asks for her help on his case. Boyers and Swaner tap dance around their past flirtation and her own dark secrets, while she attempts to discover the truth about Lee and Paul’s friendship and the disappearance of Lee’s girlfriend, Wendy.

Read the full review: http://savvyverseandwit.com/2012/02/lovesick-by-spencer-seidel.html ( )
  sagustocox | Feb 15, 2012 |
LOVESICK by Spencer Seidel is two stories. One is the story of Lisa, a psychologist and former abused wife. The other is the story of Paul, a 17-year-old who is accused of murdering his best friend, Lee, a crime Paul doesn't remember because of a head injury he sustained at the time.

Lisa is working with Paul's attorney to try to help Paul remember the crime. The attorney is a former policeman who worked with and was a friend of Lisa's former husband.

Lisa feels that the best way for Paul to remember is to have him recount his friendship with Lee. And so about half the book is about what Paul calls his "friendship" with Lee and the love triangle they were both involved in with the mysterious Wendy.

Paul's story is not told in first person, as you would expect. It's in third person, maybe so that it could be more detailed and stand on its own as a story separate from Lisa's. Whatever the reason, this third-person narrative did not seem at all like it came from a high school kid.

Paul's story was a good one, and Paul should have told it.

Another problem with this story was that it came across as one I would have liked when I was a teenager. My taste has evolved since then along with my reading level.

While Lisa listens to Paul's story of the high school kids' love triangle, her own memories that she's worked hard to forget make her consider giving up on trying to help Paul's memory. On top of that problem is a TV reporter telling lies about her, hundreds of other reporters trying to get her to talk, men harassing her, and a weird college student obsessing over her.

It was plain to me who the bad guy was almost from the beginning of Paul's story, yet Lisa didn't guess it until the evidence slapped her in the face. ( )
  techeditor | Jan 1, 2012 |

Spencer Seidel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,349,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible