Lovesick by Spencer Seidel

Authors:Spencer Seidel
Info:PublishingWorks (2011), Kindle Edition
Rating:***

Lovesick by Spencer Seidel

Lovesick starts off by introducing the reader to Paul, a teenage boy who is found crouched over his best friend Lee's body, covered in blood and holding a weapon. Seems like an open and shut case, right? It's not. Paul claims to have amnesia and not remember what he saw at the crime scene, but never stops proclaiming his innocence. Psychologist Lisa Boyers is brought on board to interview Paul about that night, and she begins unraveling secrets about the victim, Lee, and his girlfriend, Wendy, who is missing. A love triangle is uncovered, which is just as delightfully dramatic as you'd expect a teenage relationship to be. But there are more secrets in this book, including some of Lisa's own. The last hundred pages or so will keep your heart pounding in suspense until you unravel the whole truth. The story is mostly told through Paul's flashbacks as Lisa interviews him, but there is enough present action to keep you reading to see how the case will be solved, as well as what pans out with the current mystery.

I received this book for free from Meryl L. Moss Media Relations, Inc. to post a review on my blog (http://www.allisonwrites.com/2012/02/lovesick.html). ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
I received this book as a gift from the author via The Books Machine in exchange for an honest review.

This book has been on my TBR list for a while so I was very excited to get the opportunity to review it. It did NOT disappoint. I was drawn in from the first page and it kept me guessing. Many times, I thought I had it all figured out and many times I was wrong.

Late one evening, police come across a distraught and disoriented young man. The man is covered in blood and has a knife in his hand. Cradled in his lap is another young man, his throat cut, and also stained in blood. The man tells the police his name is Paul Ducharme and his friend's name is Lee. He tells the police that he thinks there is something wrong with his friend and asks for help. The police, thinking that Paul is the killer and mentally unstable, cuff him and take him into custody.

Lisa Boyers, a forensic psychologist, is asked by an old acquaintance to speak with Paul because he can't recall the events leading up to the murder. The acquaintance, Rudy Swaner, also happens to be Paul's defense attorney. She relents and agrees to meet with Paul. But seeing Rudy after such a long time dredges up painful memories for Lisa of a past she thought was long buried. She immediately regrets her decision and considers backing out.

Paul tells Lisa about his volatile friendship with Lee Janis and his love for Wendy Trower, their classmate. Wendy is nowhere to be found. The case becomes a media circus and takes over, even endangers, Lisa's life.

Seidel very smoothly weaves in flashbacks of Lisa's past life as well as the school days and troubled lives of Paul, Lee, and Wendy. His language is readable and very authentic, whether he is writing in a teen voice or that of an abusive mate. The story is told in alternating points of view, a style I prefer because it helps me to get to know the characters.

The plot twist caught me totally off-guard!

Overall, I loved this book. The story was compelling, the plot was fast-paced, the characters were well-developed, and the ending was conclusive. I will definitely be reading more from this author. ( )
  kulmona | Jan 2, 2015 |
Description:

The Portland police discover a gruesome scene on the Eastern Promenade Trail; seventeen year old Paul Ducharme is found cradling the body of his lifeless best friend, Lee Janis, while sitting in a pool of blood. To make matters worse, both men are already suspects in the disappearance of Wendy Trower, a classmate who has been missing for a couple of weeks. But Paul cannot remember what happened in either situation, so his attorney, Rudy Swaner calls on a friend he can trust – forensic psychologist Dr. Lisa Boyers.

Her methods seem to work when it comes to retrieving Paul's memories, but she does not anticipate the truth. Paul's tragic story of love, heartbreak and deceit begins to awaken Lisa's own memories, ones that she would rather keep buried. Are the skeleton's in her closet worth dropping her client? Can the case, and Lisa's past, escape the media spotlight long enough for the police to find Wendy and determine Paul's innocence/guilt?

Review:

I have not read Spencer Seidel's Dead of Wynter, so I didn't know what to expect from his newest release, Lovesick. The story pulled me in quickly, the plot building from page one; I managed to read it in a single sitting and enjoyed its psychological twists. I was sort of disappointed that the story-line was predictable, but overall I thought it was well-written and properly structured. I was completely thrown off course by the ending though, (no spoilers), which earns the author a thumbs-up. I also thought that the characters were very well-developed personality wise. Each character had their own distinct voice, especially Paul and Lisa who I empathized with the most. I spent a good part of the book wrestling with Paul's guilt versus innocence. I hoped he was not a murder, especially after hearing about the “love triangle” and the woods from his (third person) point of view. Spencer Seidel has an interesting way of narrating character memories that makes them seem more realistic. The dialogue had the same effect, and it fit the appropriate age of the characters. Overall, it was a great psychological thriller – gritty, compelling, and full of dark curves. Recommended for teens through adults, particularly those seeking psychological thrills. (Contains Language/Gore)

Rating: On the Run (4/5)

*** I received this book from the author (BookTrib) in exchange for an honest and unbiased review. ( )
  Allizabeth | May 12, 2012 |
About:
After having read Spencer Seidel's Dead of Wynter last year, I jumped at the opportunity to read this latest thrilling novel, Lovesick.

Dr. Lisa Boyers has been called upon an old friend, Attorney Rudy Swaner, to interview seventeen year old Paul Ducharme. Paul is being held for murder charges. He was found in the woods sitting in a pool of his best friend Lee Janise's blood, cradling his body. Added to that, a girl named Wendy Trower has been missing for weeks. These three teens were all close friends and schoolmates. Paul is in shock and cannot remember much about the murder.

Truths begin to unfold and events take a turn for the worse and Lisa finds herself in danger as her own past begins to haunt her. She was once married to an abusive cop and is trying hard to forget her painful past.
As she works on this high profile case, Lisa gets sucked into the the middle of a media circus and she fears for her life as she realizes she is being stalked. Her old friend Rudy wants to be a part of her life again, but Lisa resists him, she has too many personal demons and too many bad memories.

My thoughts:
Wow! Reading Lovesick was a thrill ride. I was hooked in from the start. The plot is intense.

Once Paul began to share his memories with Lisa, I was sitting on the edge of my seat. I just had to know everything. I felt like I was investigating the crime too, and the answers were slowly revealing themselves.
I so badly wanted Paul to be innocent. As he narrated his part of the story to Lisa, I felt bad for him. He seemed like a good kid who just got mixed in with the wrong people.

Author Spencer Seidel does a fantastic job at writing those awkward teenage feelings, those years when everything is already complicated, yet more so with these three teenagers. In the midst of everything, Paul's best friend Lee is mentally unstable. Wendy, the girl he loves, is crying out for help and harboring some very twisted secrets.

Paul finds himself in a bitter love triangle, where nothing is as it seems and where he realizes his best friends are hiding so much from him. Wendy and Lee feed off each others dysfunction. The dynamic between these three was fascinating, in a morbid sort of way.

Special thanks to BookTrib for my review copy. ( )
  bookworm_naida | Feb 15, 2012 |
Lovesick by Spencer Seidel (available in ebook now, and paperback in June 2012) is a crime thriller with a psychological twist. Dr. Lisa Boyers is a forensic psychologist and she agrees to assess Paul Ducharme, whose now infamous murder of his best friend Lee on the Eastern Promenade Trail in Portland is gaining national attention. Boyers is brought closer to her past than she’s comfortable with when a former friend, Rudy Swaner, asks for her help on his case. Boyers and Swaner tap dance around their past flirtation and her own dark secrets, while she attempts to discover the truth about Lee and Paul’s friendship and the disappearance of Lee’s girlfriend, Wendy.

Read the full review: http://savvyverseandwit.com/2012/02/lovesick-by-spencer-seidel.html ( )
  sagustocox | Feb 15, 2012 |

Spencer Seidel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,149,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible