Shadow Woman by Linda Howard

Shadow Woman (edition 2013)

by Linda Howard

Member:luciefuentes
Title:Shadow Woman
Authors:Linda Howard
Info:Thorndike Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Hardcover, 292 pages
Rating:***

Shadow Woman by Linda Howard

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Lizette Henry, possessing unusual detection skills but struggling with a memory disorder, accepts help from the mysterious and seductive Xavier--a stranger who triggers disturbing images of an unspeakable crime of which Lizette may or may not be the perpetrator. (summary from ISBN 0345506936)

A fast-paced, suspenseful plot. Keeps readers on the edge of their seats until the very last page. ( )
  lrobe190 | Sep 24, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I’ve always wanted to read Linda Howard’s books, but I’ve never had the chance to do so. When the opportunity came to review SHADOW WOMAN via LibraryThing’s Early Reviewers Program, I couldn’t pass up the chance to finally read an author I’ve been wanting to. Unfortunately, Howard’s SHADOW WOMAN falls short.

Character development is a little weak. We have Lizette Henry who pretty much lives a predictable life. For the past three years she’s never done anything out of character until she’s forced to call in sick. Even when we find out who Lizzy is, we aren’t given much information regarding her past. I wanted a little more to fully understand her. Despite this, she’s a likeable character and you care about her fate. Then we have Xavier, he’s a bit of mystery, but it’s pretty easy to understand what type of man he is. He’s one who takes his job to protect very seriously. We have several secondary characters that are important including a neighbor of Lizzy’s who may or may not be working on behalf of Xavier.

Narration is third person and a quick note on it: there’s hardly any conversation between the characters for a good chunk of the book. At times, it was boring and you can’t skip or skim any of the text because if you do, you’ll easily miss a vital fact. I understand why Howard did this because otherwise there is no suspense or mystery to uncovering Lizzy’s past and as readers we are on the journey to find out alongside Lizzy. I give Howard props for setting things up this way; however, it falls short because as I mentioned it can get boring at times. And as for the actual conversation, when it’s held, not many clues are given and we have to keep on reading to find out what is going on.

I debated with the rating between a two and three and in the end, decided on a two because while there’s nothing with the writing (it’s solid and Howard doesn’t leave anything unanswered), my problem with the book is that for about 75% of the novel, it’s all narrative with very few conversations taking place among the characters. By the time we get answers as to why Lizzie is a central target, I pretty much stopped caring. In fact, it was painful to finish the final pages because of this. Furthermore, it’s difficult to believe someone’s entire memory could be wiped out without anticipating the consequences.

Overall, Linda Howard’s SHADOW WOMAN was a miss for me and I’m not sure if I’m willing to try her backlist. If you’re a fan of Howard’s books, you might want to skip this one. ( )
  winterlillies | Jul 22, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book started rather slowly, but got more interesting as the book went on. The main character becomes aware that something isn't quite "right" with her life, that there seems to be a shadow person behind who she sees. She's starting to remember things, and as she does so, she experiences physical pain and discomfort. She encounters a man that helps her discover the parts of herself that have been blocked, and helps her emerge from the shadows. ( )
  mbsam | Apr 1, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the first book I've remember reading by Linda Howard and I will definitely be looking for more of her work. I found her characters well thought out and empathetic. Lizzie's struggles to understand how she knows things she doesn't remember are realistic and intriguing. You can't help but cheer for her each time she outwits the people trying to kill her. Xavier is the "dangerous man" type every woman loves to dream about. All in all, it's a great read and I highly recommend it.
  scifimom58 | Mar 25, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Lizette wakes up and does not recognize the face in the mirror. She can't imagine why she looks different. Xavier has been monitoring her for a couple of years and offers to help her find out who she is. However, his presence in her life causes her to have flashbacks and she is not sure she can trust him. Since no one else is offering to help, she must let him help. Linda Howard at her best. She grabs you in the beginning and takes the reader on a ride with twists and turns. Her books are definitely worth the readers time. ( )
  grammyellen | Mar 5, 2014 |

Linda Howardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
MacDuffie, CarringtonReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Lizette Henry wakes up one morning and makes a terrifying discovery: She doesn’t recognize the face she sees in the mirror. She remembers what she looks like, but her reflection is someone else’s. To add to the shock, two years seem to have disappeared from her life. Someone has gone to great and inexplicable lengths to keep those missing years hidden forever. But the past always finds a way to return.

Strange memories soon begin to surface and, along with them, some unusual skills and talents that Lizette hasn’t a clue about acquiring. Sensing that she’s being monitored, Lizette suddenly knows how to search for bugs in her house and tracking devices in her car. What’s more, she can elude surveillance—like a trained agent.

Enter a mysterious and seductive stranger named Xavier, who claims he wants to help—but who triggers disturbing images of an unspeakable crime of which Lizette may or may not be the perpetrator. With memories returning, she suddenly becomes a target of anonymous assassins. On the run with nowhere to hide, Lizette has no choice but to rely on Xavier, a strong and magnetic man she doesn’t trust, with a powerful attraction she cannot resist. As murky waters become clear, Lizette confronts a conspiracy that is treacherous and far-reaching and a truth that, once revealed, may silence her and Xavier once and for all.

240 wanted2 pay3 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Shadow Woman by Linda Howard was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,975,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible