Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, Sir…

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, Sir Orfeo

by J.R.R. Tolkien (Translator), Gawain Poet (Author), Pearl Poet (Author)

I'm mostly here for Sir Gawain; Pearl is very much medieval theology, and thus interesting primarily for academic reasons, and Sir Orfeo is an interesting retelling of Orpheus set in England with faeries but of that style of poetry that's liable to put you to sleep if you don't pay close attention. The Sir Gawain, however, is fantastic, and if you can parse the deep language of academia, the translation notes are rather enlightening on medieval English styles of poetry. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Dec 18, 2016 |
I read this---just Sir Gawain and the Green Knight---aloud to my children to go along with their history curriculum. I remember reading and retaining very little of this poem in college, and I was surprised at just how much it seemed to speak to my children. It says something either about Tolkien's translation or about my attention level in late adolescence that I didn't notice the alliteration until I read it this time around.

I'm not entirely sure what the literary purpose is of going into such detail about the dressing of deer and boars after the hunt, and I don't think I noticed how suggestive the bedroom bits were when I wasn't reading it to my kids, but I did learn a goodly number of new vocabulary words. ( )
1 vote ImperfectCJ | Aug 24, 2016 |
I have read this book many times before, especially this translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Tolkien is an amazing author, translator, linguist, and story teller. He faithfully translates and recounts three ancient medieval stories full of symbology and meaning. The stories are wordy, but in the way that lends purpose to the telling.

This was December 2014's book club selection, and worth reading more than once. ( )
  Ermina | Feb 25, 2016 |
This slim volume, put together by Christopher Tolkien, collects three translations done by J.R.R. of 14th-century British poems, together with writings by Tolkien Sr. on the poetry.

'Gawain and the Green Knight' is the classic, and not surprisingly, the best. Originally written in an alliterative style, Tolkien reflects that style in his translation, but the verse-form is such that it is not distracting to the story - it's very readable.
The story is, of course, that of one of Arthur's knights who agrees to a (rather foolish contest) with a strange, fey knight of mysterious powers. Bound by his word to seek out the knight (and, undoubtedly, his own death) the next year, he wanders in search of the knight and his appointed meeting - but encounters the hospitality of a merry lord and his all-too-seductive wife....

'Pearl' didn't do it for me, I have to admit. The narrator encounters the ghost of his dead daughter, who tells him, at great length, about how the dead are with god and the living have to accept it, blah blah blah religious dogma blah blah.

'Sir Orfeo,' however, is a very interesting poem, especially considering how old it is. It's a very intentional 'updating' of the legend of Orpheus and Eurydice, making the characters a British lady, and her lord, who seeks her when she has been taken under the hill by Faerie. Pretty cool that we can see that in the 14th century, people were adapting stories to their own mythologies (as they've always done, of course) ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is the chief lay, but I loved Sir Orfeo. ( )
  5hrdrive | Jan 24, 2016 |

Gordon, E.V.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, TerryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tolkien, ChristopherEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When the siege and the assault had ceased at Troy, and the fortress fell in flame to firebrands and ashes, the traitor who the contrivance of treason there fashioned was tried for his treachery, the most true upon earth—it was Aeneas the noble and his renowned kindred who then laid under them lands, and lords became of well-nigh all the wealth in the Western Isles.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345277600, Mass Market Paperback)

SIR GAWAIN AND THE GREEN KNIGHT, PEARL, and SIR ORFEO are masterpieces of a remote and exotic age--the age of chivalry and wizards, knights and holy quests. Yet it is only in the unique artistry and imagination of J.R.R. Tolken that the language, romance, and power of these great stories comes to life for modern readers, in this masterful and compelling new translation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:15 -0400)

Retells the story of Gawain's quest for the Green Chapel and his puzzling encounters with Sir Bercilak and his lady.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,201,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible