The Kill Order by James Dashner

The Kill Order

by James Dashner

Series: The Maze Runner (prequel)

The Kill Order is the first prequel to The Maze Runner series, soon to be followed by The Fever Code. This book takes place 13 years prior to the events of The Maze Runner and, although I have read many reviews that expressed disappointment because of the lack of connection between this book and the trilogy, but there is a connection. It comes at the very beginning and at the very end, but it brings it all together. This provides some excellent backstory to The Maze Runner.

The story takes place long before the Maze and the Glade, even before WICKED came into being. The majority of the story occurs after the sun flares have hit the earth, when groups of people have created new communities and have struggled to survive. The story of the flares and the immediate aftermath is told through memories of the past, giving the reader a taste of the horror and chaos of the time, the struggle to survive not just the flares, but some of humanity's worst.
Most of the story is centered around Mark, Alec, Trina, and Deedee, along with other members of their group. They have struggled, but, with the others, they have created new lives for themselves. Until the day that a government Berg (an aircraft) shows up and begins shooting darts at them, darts that seem to be filled with some kind of poison. Once again, their lives are turned on edge and they are fighting to survive.

This is a book that shows humanity both at its best and at its worst. There is madness and agony, pain and loss. There are those who will do most anything in the name of the greater good, and those that see things differently and fight for their beliefs.

While it is true that the connections to the main series are only in the beginning and the end of the book, I think that the story told in this book sets the stage for The Maze Runner books. It explains so much about how the world came to be as it is in ways that the main series does not. I think it adds a lot to the overall story.

My Recommendation: I read this prior to beginning The Maze Runner and it definitely set the stage for it, although I do think that it could be read after the main series. ( )
  Kiki870 | Apr 13, 2015 |
(See Sock Puppet). This Science Fiction book is a prequel to the series "The Maze Runner". In the book, you are brought back to a world where people are trying to rid themselves of this virus that causes them to slowly go crazy, and eventually die. A group of four people, who found themselves in the subway tracks after "the flare" went off, and caused power to go out in the city, race through towns and cities in order to find a safe haven from all this madness. The virus was not sent out with the flare. The flare was just a heat wave that wiped out a handful of the population. After the group found a place to stay, their town was bombarded by the government, who shot darts at the people, in which contained this infectious disease. The disease was also very contagious, and there was no cure for it. Everyone was waiting for the inevitable. The four friends get out of the town, and try to find another place to be safe. In doing so, they come across a young girl who was immune to the disease. They take her with them as they try to fight the government who did this to them, meanwhile all four of them are slowly starting the feel the effects of the virus. Eventually, they get to a place where they can send the little girl to the good government because she obviously is not catching the disease. They think that she would be able to help find a cure. After sending her away, the book does not talk about what happens to the four friends. However, the girl is now involved in the program to help find a cure. This is how she meets Thomas, and the beginning of planning the maze trials. ( )
  BethWal94 | Apr 11, 2015 |
What to say about this book...?

I admit that it was most likely my least favorite book in the The Maze Runner series, but it was really action packed. I always left me wanting to read more. It would be 12:00 at night and i would tell myself One more chapter, but 2 hours later I was still reading it.

In a way, Mark reminded me of Thomas. He was very head-strong and determined to find his firends that at some points in the book I felt like I was reading The Maze Runner again. But can we just take a moment to appreciate how badass Alec is. He is in about his 40's, he fights like he is in his late 20's, sarcastic and he is always saving Mark's life. He is so strong, smart, and at moments, a caring guy. Trina was such an empowering character, she was such an inspiring character, but towards the end did she really bother me. I know that it wasn't her fault because the Flare and all but come on, if a stranger (in her eyes he's a stranger) is being practically killed right infront of you after he tried to save your life, shouldn't you do something to help him instead of just standing there, hugging a little girl? Oh and the little girl, Dee Dee. I suspected this when she first made an appearance but when it was revealed that Dee Dee was Theresa I was still kind of mind-blown.

Aside from the pretty badass characters, the plot was just action packed. There was always so much new information that was being presented that created new twists in the story, just overall the plot was fast paced, and very driven. I know for a fact that I will most likely read like book again. ( )
  MarleneSanchez | Apr 1, 2015 |
This is the prequel to The Maze Runner. It follows Mark who has seen sun flares that killed millions, including his family and beloved younger sister. Afterward, floods, food shortages, and continued devastating heat, along with individuals bent on surviving at all costs, have made his chances pretty bleak. Against all odds, he and a close-knit group of other survivors move inland and set up a community together. But before long, a flying ship brings something wholly unfamiliar: a disease, transmitted initially by darts, but soon spread person to person at an alarming rate. Mark's friends all work together to figure out what this illness is, how it spreads, and why it drives people mad, while trying to hold onto hope for themselves and save others.(from summary)

Overall, I liked the story. Getting the visual of apparently what the kids in the later book sees when they're stung is nice. Understating the devastating circumstances that drove people to do what they did. I felt that toward the end, Dashner ran out of story and just started giving tons of descriptions of those insane, it got boring. I ended up skipping lots of paragraphs because I'd gotten it. People lost their minds and started eating each other before dying. They were mindless. I didn't need to keep reading about those doing this or that. The point was given.

I was also very sad at the end. ( )
  jessica_reads | Mar 24, 2015 |
I recently start reading The Maze Runner series. I really enjoyed the first book and loved the movie. Since The Kill Order is a prequel I thought I'd read it before moving on to the rest of the books. It was a good read, action packed. The Prequel tells the story of Mark, Trina and their group after the sun flares. But for me, it was a bit disappointing too. I was really hoping we'd learn more about the gladers before the events in The Maze Runner. I can't wait to dive into the the rest of the series. ( )
  vampiregirl76 | Mar 18, 2015 |

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kathy Egan. I really miss you.
Prologue: Teresa looked at her best friend and wondered what it would be like to forget him.
Chapter 1: Mark shivered with cold, something he hadn't done in a long time.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385742886, Hardcover)

A Letter from James Dashner: Top Ten Things I’d Want During the Apocalypse
10. Very, very strong sunglasses.

9. Lots of plastic to wrap around my house.

8. A stranger taken in who happens to be the smartest, ablest doctor in a thousand years.

7. A server containing every show that’s ever been on HBO and a nice entertainment system on which to watch it all.

6. An e-reader loaded with 5,000 books.

5. A generator and a gas refinery next door to provide fuel so I can watch all those shows and charge my e-reader.

4. Deodorant that smells like a rotting dead body so zombies think I’m just one of them.

3. Lifetime supplies in my basement of the following: hot dogs, Almond Joys, potato chips, and Mountain Dew.

2. A cloaking device to hide my house from the tyrannical, evil, bloodthirsty government that will inevitably spring up.

1. Oh, and my wife and kids.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:28 -0400)

"Mark struggles to make sense of his new, post-disaster world in this prequel to The Maze Runner"--

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,854,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible