The Kill Order by James Dashner

The Kill Order

by James Dashner

Series: The Maze Runner (prequel)

I really liked this book. After reading the entire series there was always a part of me that wondered how things started and where the main characters came from. I enjoyed how we where sent on a journey from a point of view from others and how that transformed into introducing us to the future characters. I recommend that you read not only this book, but the rest of The Maze Runner series as well. ( )
  JosP | Jan 26, 2015 |
Inevitably, when a trilogy does well, publishers push for prequels or sequels. Sometimes those books are great, more often they are merely a cash grab. The Kill Order isn’t quite a cash grab, but it’s close.

The Kill Order is a prequel to the Maze Runner series telling how it all began. However, the original trilogy clearly spelled out the tragedy that led to the trials, solar flares followed by a devastating plague, so that doesn’t leave much room for suspense. Here readers meet Mark and Trina and a few companions, who survived the solar flares only to a face a new threat in a deadly plague. How the plague came about was obvious and predictable, and the ensuing “story” has no plot or mystery. Mark and company decide to track the plague to the “source” in hopes of finding answers or a cure. But, there just isn’t enough material to sustain a book. What follows is a retread of material in the original trilogy: encountering Cranks, government resistance and obstacles of Nature.

That is not to say the book doesn’t have some redeeming qualities. There are some exciting action sequences, and like the original books, not everyone is going to survive. Flashbacks to the day of the solar flares were cool – like watching a disaster movie and seeing what people do to survive; how quickly civilization falls apart. It also has a good hook for how it leads into the original trilogy, but that hook is at the very end and in an epilogue. This would have made a great novella/e-book, but unfortunately it got padded.

Overall, I don’t regret the purchase as it came in a box set with the original trilogy, but I found myself skimming over many passages that were just more of the same. Recommended for completists. ( )
  jshillingford | Oct 21, 2014 |
The prequel to the series was disappointment. I desperately wanted there to be at least one character that we could link to the other books, which would have preserved the rhythm of the series. I also thought that the violence and zombie-like descriptions of the "cranks" was a bit overdone. ( )
  silva_44 | Oct 15, 2014 |
Sun flares scorch the Earth. Disease takes over the minds of people until it destroys them. People are willing to do anything just to survive. Mark, Trina, Lana, Alec, and the others want to find out why. The Kill Order, a science fiction story about the Earth struggling to survive after sun flares nearly destroyed it, is the book that I read.
The Kill Order begins with a small group of people working together to attempt to survive in a desert-like world. Mark, Trina, Alec, Lana, and all the rest finally created a community that they could survive in. Then disaster struck. A Berg airplane landed and began firing off darts, killing most of them on contact. The darts were filled with a highly contagious virus that infected and killed those who didn't die upon the impact. Alec and Mark managed to kill most of the attackers and get inside the plane. The plane was then intentionally crashed by the pilot and the chaos continues. When the group meets up again, Mark, Trina, Alec, and Lana are the only survivors. They had to endure by using Mark’s intelligence, Alec’s bravery, Lana’s leadership, and Trina’s optimism to survive alone in the wilderness. They then discover a little girl who was shot by the dart, but lived and didn’t suffer any of the symptoms of the disease. They later discovered that she was immune to the disease known as “The Flare” and the group does everything they can to get her to safety. They believe that she could be the key to the survival of the human race.
The Kill Order was a book that I didn't want to put down. The author kept the suspense building throughout the entire story. He kept the reader wondering who, if anyone, would survive. The author also used vivid descriptions of the setting and the actions to make the reader feel like they were right there with the survivors on the scorched and destroyed Earth. Finally, the author made me feel connected to the characters. He showed the character’s attitude in their dialogue and through the actions that they make throughout the story. This is an amazing book for anyone who enjoys sci-fi or post-apocalyptic stories. ( )
  Jobr14 | Oct 13, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book sooo much and I recommend it to everyone out there!!!!!! ( )
  mallon | Oct 5, 2014 |

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kathy Egan. I really miss you.
Prologue: Teresa looked at her best friend and wondered what it would be like to forget him.
Chapter 1: Mark shivered with cold, something he hadn't done in a long time.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385742886, Hardcover)

A Letter from James Dashner: Top Ten Things I’d Want During the Apocalypse
10. Very, very strong sunglasses.

9. Lots of plastic to wrap around my house.

8. A stranger taken in who happens to be the smartest, ablest doctor in a thousand years.

7. A server containing every show that’s ever been on HBO and a nice entertainment system on which to watch it all.

6. An e-reader loaded with 5,000 books.

5. A generator and a gas refinery next door to provide fuel so I can watch all those shows and charge my e-reader.

4. Deodorant that smells like a rotting dead body so zombies think I’m just one of them.

3. Lifetime supplies in my basement of the following: hot dogs, Almond Joys, potato chips, and Mountain Dew.

2. A cloaking device to hide my house from the tyrannical, evil, bloodthirsty government that will inevitably spring up.

1. Oh, and my wife and kids.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:28 -0400)

"Mark struggles to make sense of his new, post-disaster world in this prequel to The Maze Runner"--

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

220 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,117,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible