The Kill Order (Maze Runner Prequel) by…

The Kill Order (Maze Runner Prequel) (edition 2012)

by James Dashner

Member:cloudynight
Title:The Kill Order (Maze Runner Prequel)
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Read, Read but unowned, Favorites, Wishlist
Rating:*****
Tags:made me cry

The Kill Order by James Dashner

This is the prequel to The Maze Runner. It follows Mark who has seen sun flares that killed millions, including his family and beloved younger sister. Afterward, floods, food shortages, and continued devastating heat, along with individuals bent on surviving at all costs, have made his chances pretty bleak. Against all odds, he and a close-knit group of other survivors move inland and set up a community together. But before long, a flying ship brings something wholly unfamiliar: a disease, transmitted initially by darts, but soon spread person to person at an alarming rate. Mark's friends all work together to figure out what this illness is, how it spreads, and why it drives people mad, while trying to hold onto hope for themselves and save others.(from summary)

Overall, I liked the story. Getting the visual of apparently what the kids in the later book sees when they're stung is nice. Understating the devastating circumstances that drove people to do what they did. I felt that toward the end, Dashner ran out of story and just started giving tons of descriptions of those insane, it got boring. I ended up skipping lots of paragraphs because I'd gotten it. People lost their minds and started eating each other before dying. They were mindless. I didn't need to keep reading about those doing this or that. The point was given.

I was also very sad at the end. ( )
  jessica_reads | Mar 24, 2015 |
I recently start reading The Maze Runner series. I really enjoyed the first book and loved the movie. Since The Kill Order is a prequel I thought I'd read it before moving on to the rest of the books. It was a good read, action packed. The Prequel tells the story of Mark, Trina and their group after the sun flares. But for me, it was a bit disappointing too. I was really hoping we'd learn more about the gladers before the events in The Maze Runner. I can't wait to dive into the the rest of the series. ( )
  vampiregirl76 | Mar 18, 2015 |
Although not as slow as The Death Cure, this prequel has its dull moments. Keeping track of loyal group members and outsiders has lost its flavor by this point in the series.
As was the same with all of the series, The Death Cure is limited in its curricular connections. ( )
  LFerda | Mar 11, 2015 |
This book is not the story of Teresa and Thomas. It's not their origin story. It doesn't tell the tale I was hoping for, the tale of how and why they built the maze.

Instead, it's a story of a completely different set of characters, and their journey to survive a virus outbreak. To find a cure, and to protect the immune. It's not a particularly good story. In fact, its pretty damn boring.

But, at the beginning of the book, in the preface, it starts out with Teresa and Thomas, just minutes before Thomas gets put into the box, and sent up into the maze. So, I had high hopes.

And then chapter 1 starts 13 years earlier. 13 fucking years. In [b:The Maze Runner|6186357|The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1)|James Dashner|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1375596592s/6186357.jpg|6366642] they were only like 14-16 years old, so that means... Fuck! That means, if Teresa or Thomas are in this book at all, they'd be infants. Motherfucker.

I didn't sign up for this. I wanted to read their story, goddamnit. I wanted to know why they built the maze. That's the only real nagging question of the series. What the bloody fuck was the point of the goddamn maze? There isn't one! It's fucking bullshit.

So fuck you, James Dashner. Fuck you in your dirty hack asshole. Because this isn't the story we wanted. This story is bullshit. Go ahead and eat a bag of dicks for getting my hopes up, and making me read this shit. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
I really liked this book. After reading the entire series there was always a part of me that wondered how things started and where the main characters came from. I enjoyed how we where sent on a journey from a point of view from others and how that transformed into introducing us to the future characters. I recommend that you read not only this book, but the rest of The Maze Runner series as well. ( )
  JosP | Jan 26, 2015 |

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kathy Egan. I really miss you.
Prologue: Teresa looked at her best friend and wondered what it would be like to forget him.
Chapter 1: Mark shivered with cold, something he hadn't done in a long time.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385742886, Hardcover)

A Letter from James Dashner: Top Ten Things I’d Want During the Apocalypse
10. Very, very strong sunglasses.

9. Lots of plastic to wrap around my house.

8. A stranger taken in who happens to be the smartest, ablest doctor in a thousand years.

7. A server containing every show that’s ever been on HBO and a nice entertainment system on which to watch it all.

6. An e-reader loaded with 5,000 books.

5. A generator and a gas refinery next door to provide fuel so I can watch all those shows and charge my e-reader.

4. Deodorant that smells like a rotting dead body so zombies think I’m just one of them.

3. Lifetime supplies in my basement of the following: hot dogs, Almond Joys, potato chips, and Mountain Dew.

2. A cloaking device to hide my house from the tyrannical, evil, bloodthirsty government that will inevitably spring up.

1. Oh, and my wife and kids.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:28 -0400)

"Mark struggles to make sense of his new, post-disaster world in this prequel to The Maze Runner"--

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

220 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,243,369 books! | Top bar: Always visible