The Kill Order (Maze Runner Prequel) by…

The Kill Order (Maze Runner Prequel) (edition 2012)

by James Dashner

574None17,239 (3.4)10
Member:sbordage
Title:The Kill Order (Maze Runner Prequel)
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: First Edition first Printing, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Kill Order (Maze Runner Prequel) by James Dashner

Mark struggles with Trina and Alec to make sense of and survive in this virus filled world after solar flares. More a book for boys than girls but a good read for anyone. Friendship, doing the right thing, and making life count made this book more interesting than one would think given the crumbling civilization. A good prequel to the Maze Runner as it is different enough to be a totally different book and not just another in the series. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 11, 2014 |
I suppose it was somewhat refreshing to continue, or should I say start, the story line but with different characters. Intriguing to say the least.

I will admit, I never really thought about the effect the solar flares would have on the world before W.I.C.K.E.D and how the virus came to be - it was refreshing to get an insight into Dashner's mind and world.

Although, this being said, not as shocking nor as brilliant as the first one. ( )
  LaurenKathryn | Mar 31, 2014 |
I listened to the audiobook because I knew I would never get around to actually reading it. I decided to listen to the book when a coworker told me that Mark ends up being Thomas in the end. Which is not true. Mark is Mark and Thomas is Thomas, and really, Thomas has nothing to do with this book. In her defense, she hasn't read the book yet, it was her brother who told her that. So I'm just gonna go with she misunderstood her brother, because one of the characters do end up being someone from The Maze Runner, but not Thomas. And unless you get some special edition of The Kill Order, you would not know this unless you look it up online (like I did because I was so confused).

I really don't know how to discuss this book. As a book by itself, it's not that bad. If I read this book before I read The Maze Runner, I probably would have liked it more.

The only thing the book really adds to The Maze Runner series is it gives more information on what happened right after the sun flares hit and how the virus was introduced to the world. Now, looking back, it was actually kind of boring. There's a lot of action, and between the action is Mark and Alec resting to get their strength back before they go back for more action to save Trina, Lana, and DeeDee.

Now. There is an epilogue. I was so confused after listening to the epilogue that I had to go back and listen to it again. It has nothing to do with Mark or Trina, Alec or Lana. It's about Thomas. It made no sense to me why the epilogue was even there. It really adds nothing to the story and just left me more confused.

Since I was so confused I started reading reviews, and found out that there was a special Barnes and Nobles edition of The Kill Order, and after the acknowledgements there is an additional scene that actually ties The Kill Order to The Maze Runner. If you didn't get the special edition (like me) then I highly suggest looking it up. It would have made a lot more sense for that special edition scene to be the epilogue, because it leads up to The Maze Runner perfectly (a lot better than the actual epilogue).

So, to sum up my feelings for the series: I really enjoyed The Maze Runner, The Scorch Trials was okay, The Death Cure pissed me off, and The Kill Order barely adds anything to the series (unless you go digging around the internet and find that special edition scene). ( )
  taleofnight | Mar 15, 2014 |
I am reading the book the kill order. This book is about a world wide event that killed many people on the earth. After the title wave there only a few survives left on earth. The group in the book are living out in the woods living off the land. But one day they were just hanging around and some air crafts flew by and started to shot people with cross bows and arrows . The group was skater and the people did not no that the arrows that were being shot at them were infected with a deadly sickness. I dropped this book because it was the same thing happening over and over again. Another reason is that it was really slow and boring and nothing was happening. I would not recommend this book to any body that gets bored really easy. ( )
  br14mari | Nov 1, 2013 |
Mr. Dashner fills in some of the blanks from his Maze Runner series - explaining how natural disaster suddenly became something much worse. This story reads as a race against time, with overwhelming odds and amazing feats of courage. There's no lack of action. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Oct 28, 2013 |
For Kathy Egan. I really miss you.
Prologue: Teresa looked at her best friend and wondered what it would be like to forget him.
Chapter 1: Mark shivered with cold, something he hadn't done in a long time.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385742886, Hardcover)

A Letter from James Dashner: Top Ten Things I’d Want During the Apocalypse
10. Very, very strong sunglasses.

9. Lots of plastic to wrap around my house.

8. A stranger taken in who happens to be the smartest, ablest doctor in a thousand years.

7. A server containing every show that’s ever been on HBO and a nice entertainment system on which to watch it all.

6. An e-reader loaded with 5,000 books.

5. A generator and a gas refinery next door to provide fuel so I can watch all those shows and charge my e-reader.

4. Deodorant that smells like a rotting dead body so zombies think I’m just one of them.

3. Lifetime supplies in my basement of the following: hot dogs, Almond Joys, potato chips, and Mountain Dew.

2. A cloaking device to hide my house from the tyrannical, evil, bloodthirsty government that will inevitably spring up.

1. Oh, and my wife and kids.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:28 -0400)

"Mark struggles to make sense of his new, post-disaster world in this prequel to The Maze Runner"--

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

220 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,469,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible