The Black Box by Michael Connelly

The Black Box (edition 2012)

by Michael Connelly

Member:Twink
Title:The Black Box
Authors:Michael Connelly
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2012), Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****

The Black Box by Michael Connelly

English (55)  Dutch (1)  All languages (56)
I really, really wanted to see Michael Connelly return to form. I had high hopes for The Black Box, but although it was a disappointment it was still markedly better than his other recent efforts. Connelly basically turned me onto this genre many years ago with his first novels and it's been sad (and costly, and time-consuming) for his readers to watch him settle into mediocrity. On the surface, this Bosch book sounded like it had the potential for redemption, but it wasn't to be. It's not a bad book, it's just not that good.

It's a fairly interesting cold-case of the murder of a foreign journalist during the LA riots of the 90's. Bosch has his usual run-ins with authority figures as he uses tried-and-true techniques and intuition to make progress on the investigation, and for awhile there it sounded like he would be bounced from the case and the department in short order. However, he's able to work through his issues, make some logical leaps to identify and eventually take down the suspects, and in the meantime handle the sub-plots of romance and parenting. Everything turns out well.

When I read and eventually review novels, I usually 'rate' them in plot, writing, dialogue, and conclusion. The Black Box had a decent plot, but I did have problems with several parts that I thought no cop would ever do. The conclusion as well was a bit hard to take- although the good guys 'won' in the end, I don't necessarily think the way the story built to that point was very believable.

I had my biggest problem with the writing and dialogue. In a word, it was boring. When Hemingway wrote in simple, declarative sentences, it was magic. When Connelly does it, which seemed to be what he attempted to do throughout this book, it was tedious, sort of like listening to Detective Joe Friday for 400 pages. The dialogue was likewise rather stilted and odd-sounding in many cases.

At least the plot, albeit with a few holes, was a bit better this time. Who knows- with marginal improvement each time Connelly might be back to his previous level of competence in 10 or 15 years. ( )
  gmmartz | Jun 21, 2016 |
excellent Harry Bosch, couldn't put it down ( )
  petrichor8 | Jun 6, 2016 |
The murder was 20 years old but Harry was determined that he would speak for the young Danish reporter that died during the riots of 1992. The book was just okay as far as I was concerned. I really like Michael Connelly's books but this one just didn't do it for me. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
This was a slow read for me because I don't really read this genre. I was suprised how much I got into it once the story really got going. I never felt lost while reading and Mr. Connelly does an excellent job seemlessly weaving back details with the current story.

I think the plot went well, I started to get a niggling feeling about the bad guy and predicted it as it turned out but that was part of the fun of reading it.

I read this book for the Sony VIP program discussion with Michael Connelly and I am happy I did. It's good to get out of your comfort zone. ( )
  rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |
In 1992, as riots swept Los Angeles, Danish journalist Anneke Jespersen was murdered execution-style. The weapon was a 9mm pistol. But what was "Snow White" doing in the 'hood? Harry Bosch never found an answer. Now, the 20th anniversary of the riots approaches, and the chief of police aims to pre'empt media scrutiny by reopening cold cases. And the Jespersen case has suddenly become red hot: A bullet found at a recent murder scene was fired by the same 9mm Beretta. ( )
  jepeters333 | Aug 15, 2015 |

In a case that spans 20 years, Harry Bosch links the bullet from a recent crime to a file from 1992, the killing of a young female photographer during the L.A. riots. Harry originally investigated the murder, but it was then handed off to the Riot Crimes Task Force and never solved. Now Bosch's ballistics match indicates that her death was not random violence, but something more personal, and connected to a deeper intrigue. Like an investigator combing through the wreckage after a plane crash, Bosch searches for the 'black box,' the one piece of evidence that will pull the case together.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,793,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible