This Is Not Forgiveness by Celia Rees

This Is Not Forgiveness

by Celia Rees

Review on blog: http://tumblinginbooks.blogspot.com/2013/06/this-is-not-forgiveness-by-celia-ree...

Let me tell you something about me. If there’s one thing I hate, it’d be writing a bad review(and labelling a book DNF). I really really REALLY hate writing bad reviews. But unfortunately, I didn’t enjoy this book. This was a miss for me.

I don’t know if it’s me or the book. But I can’t name one thing I like about this book. I don’t like the characters nor the story. … is like this very naïve boy. His brother, …. who’s in the army has a temper and … Gah! He’s ALWAYS MAD. And the girl…. And that has to be one of the most frustrating ending EVER!

I had to continue and read this book until the end. I REALLY hate labelling a book DNF too. For those of you who read this book: If you have something nice to say about This is Not Forgiveness please do so. I'd really like to see this book from others point of view. ( )
  FaraHanani | Jun 28, 2013 |
This is Not Forgiveness is darkly beautiful and draws you into this story with three main characters, all with their own voice and all with their own issues.
The opening wasn't what I expected and I needed to know what it was that Jamie couldn't forgive and if I agreed with him. So I began this heart breaking journey into Jamie, Caro and Rob's minds.
While I preferred the views from Jamie, I was drawn to Caro and Rob's stories like a trainwreck that you can't peel your eyes from. This is definitely an issues book, and I think that it is good that the majority of the book is from Jamie because of the perspective that he brings to the story. I didn't dislike being in the other's heads besides the nitpicky fact that when you are in Caro's head, it is in italics, and I don't really like reading in that format. It makes me feel weird. (Or weirder than usual)
I think that adding in those perspectives really just shows how deep their problems are and also gives a frame of reference for where they are coming from. This is a story with a lot of dark elements, and it was quite an adventure getting into the mind of a soldier with ptsd and some of the thoughts from war and dealing with the aftermath.
I think though that the blurb is a little misleading for Caro. It mentions scars on her wrists and that sort of caught me because that is more of the issues that I prefer to read about, but I didn't pay attention to the rest. She is into politics and making a statement, and that really is the forefront for her. She does have issues, and cutting is mentioned, but not in how I thought it would be.
Rob really broke my heart. The issues that he had to work with and all of the emotions he felt that he didn't really know what to do with. I think it is so important for me to read about and get a glimpse into what our soldiers to and how hard it is to adjust to being back.
Let me just warn you, in case you can't tell from the description, or if you don't get the sense from the first few pages... This story doesn't have a happily ever after. It is more true to life, and makes you think, hard.
Bottom line: Gritty and realistic story with three distinct main characters, beautiful and shocking.

Great quote:
p. 99 in earc
From down the hall, he's just a dark shape receding, sitting motionless, silhouetted against eh strong sunlight like a man in a photograph. His face is as familiar as my own in the mirrow, but he looks like someone I no longer know.
  brandileigh2003 | Oct 2, 2012 |
I thought this book was quite "deep" "involved" and "political" for a Young Adult novel. at first I struggled with the way the book jumps around from different points of view. there were occasions where I found myself thinking whose point of view is this, you had to read a few paragraphs to realise who was telling you that particular point of the novel. Once I got used to the ever shifting points of view I quite enjoyed the book. I would say it is a thought provoking book, it makes you stop and think about things going on around you in the world. One thing I did like about the point of view swapping between the three main characters was that you saw their motivation for their actions and their reasoning for their reactions too.
It is quite difficult to say a great deal without giving away spoilers, which I hate to do. The relationship between Caro and Rob and Jamie is so complicated. Which brother is Caro "using" and which brother does Caro "love" or as she says she doesn't do love, which one does she care about the most? The book raises quite a few questions, as it goes along and I think it answers most of them eventually, like why does Martha seem to hate Caro so much? Exactly what happened at Martha's birthday sleep over all those years ago? This book is all about the younger generation, the interaction and mention of older people is kept to a minimum. I did like the book...but can't help having the "but" or "Oh" kind of reaction/feeling after I had read it. It was kind of "odd" but a good "odd" if that makes sense? I could imagine this book being made into a TV drama/movie and someone like Rob Kazinsky (aka Sean from Eastenders) playing the part of Rob. ( )
  Sanz71 | Dec 31, 2011 |

Caro, Jamie and Rob meet over the course of one summer, their lives collide and entwine with dangerous results.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,324,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible