Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas

Secrets of a Summer Night

by Lisa Kleypas

1,341495,776 (3.83)1 / 68

Čtyři mladé dámy se vypravily do Londýna, kde hodlají využít svého půvabu a šarmu k nalezení manžela. Jedna z nich, Annabella Peytonová, má úkol ještě těžší než její přítelkyně: dala si totiž za cíl okouzlit bohatého šlechtice, aby mohla zachránit svou rodinu před katastrofou.
Díky své kráse nemá o ctitele nouzi, ale ten nejpřitažlivější a nejvytrvalejší z nich, bohatý a mocný Simon Hunt, jí dal jasně najevo, že ji milerád zasvětí do umění lásky, ale v žádném případě od něj nemůže očekávat nabídku k sňatku. Pobouřená Annabella je rozhodnuta jeho drzou nabídku nevyslyšet..., ale vzápětí zjišťuje, že odolat zkušenému svůdci není nikterak snadné.
Na pomoc jí přispěchají i přítelkyně, které se pro Annabellu snaží rychle nalézt dostatečně zámožného ženicha, aby ji zachránily nejen před neodolatelným Simonem, ale i před jejími vlastními tužbami. Jedné letní noci však Annabella podlehne Simonovu vášnivému objetí a polibkům... ( )
  nellay83 | Mar 19, 2016 |
The Wallflowers quartet was among the first books I read for Lisa Kleypas and historical romance in general. I fell madly in love with her style of writing and her characters. Now, I'm rereading the books and viewing them differently.

How I feel sorry for Annabelle. It's very hard to be poor but to be poor and beautiful is the hardest of all. People start assuming horrible things and attacking you, as if your financial statues determines your worth. ( )

mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
I can' believe all the 5 star reviews this book is getting. The quality of writing is the only thing saving this book from being another run of the mill regency romance. The characters are flat and predictable, the relationship between them develops unbelievably fast and the suspense is generic at best.

I absolutely adored the Hathaway series, completely engrossed in the fun-loving and chaotic world of the growing family. The female and male characters were multiple-layered with each person weighed heavily with memorable and unique characteristics. Naturally after I read the last Hathaway installment, I dove right into the Wallflowers knowing the events occurred before the Hathaway's series.

This first book was a disappointment. I didn't warm up to Annabel. I understood her need and the predicament she was in, but it didn't warrant her bad attitude. I perceived her to be shallow and self-indulgent and aside from her supposed beauty, her personality was not enticing in any way. Her emotional evolution to her final realization to Simon was annoying and not very believable. I actually felt bad for Simon and was rooting for him to find another buxom beauty that would love him.
Annabelle, our "heroine," is petulant, spoiled, snobbish, and snotty---with absolutely no right to be. I know that Kleypas wanted us to see her as part of the down-on-their-luck gentility, those on the fringes of aristocratic society, who would have only socialized (and married) within that sphere. But the truth of the matter is that Kleypas never really gives us a solid explanation of how Annabelle's family is tied to the aristocracy and why, if they're so poor that her mother is having to prostitute herself to a disgusting old lord of something or another, Annabelle is even accepted into aristocratic society. She has no title, no dowry, and no future. In reality, people like this weren't typically invited to social functions with earls and viscounts, much less courted by men at that level.
Annabelle continues to be snobbish and mercenary even after she's voluntarily married Simon, even to the point of offending his family. This is the woman who knew her mother was whoring herself out to pay the bills, yet she's going to look down her nose at the family of a successful merchant who lives in the same neighborhood where she and her mother could barely afford to live?

It takes another massive (and highly implausible) crisis right at the end of the book for her epiphany moment to come---and even then, it's not enough to redeem her character and the way she's been throughout the rest of the book.

I've read tons of reviews that drool all over Simon as the perfect hero. Um...no. Not only does he stalk Annabelle for a couple of years until she agrees to marry him (and the only thing she really has to offer is the fact that she's supposedly so beautiful every man who sees her instantly wants her), there aren't enough scenes from his viewpoint to really give us a reason as to why he'd want to marry her (other than the insta-lust he felt the first time he saw/kissed her) for me to be able to determine if he really does have qualities to qualify him as a "hero" in the truest sense. He's handsome. He's wealthy. He's kind...to a point. In the beginning of the novel, he actually thinks about whether he'd marry her or just make her his mistress! That's not hero quality, for me.

Now, all of that said, I may go ahead and read the second book in this series, because I hope that Kleypas can actually follow through on the sparks/fireworks hinted at between Lillian and Lord Westcliff. ( )
  AlexisLovesBooks | Feb 9, 2016 |
To Julie Murphy,
for taking care of Griffin and Lindsay
with such love, endless patience and skill...
for lending your many talents to the business side of my career...
for being a cherished member of our family...
And most of all, for being you.

Love always,
L.K.
London, 1841
Although Annabelle Peyton had been warned all her life never to take money from strangers, she made an exception one day...and quickly discovered why she should have heeded her mother's advice.
"Somehow I've never thought of husband-hunting as a team sport."

page 27

Four young ladies enter London society with one common goal: they must use their feminine wit and wiles to find a husband. So a daring husband-hunting scheme is born.

1841. Annabelle Peyton, determined to save her family from disaster, decides to use her beauty and wit to tempt a suitable nobleman into making an offer of marriage. But Annabelle's most intriguing -- and persistent -- admirer, wealthy, powerful Simon Hunt, has made it clear that while he will introduce her to irresistible pleasure he will not offer marriage. Annabelle is determined to resist his unthinkable proposition ... but it is impossible in the face of such skillful seduction.

Her friends, looking to help, conspire to entice a more suitable gentleman to offer for Annabelle, for only then will she be safe from Simon -- and her own longings. But on one summer night, Annabelle succumbs to Simon's passionate embrace and tempting kisses ... and she discovers that love is the most dangerous game of all.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060091290, Mass Market Paperback)

Four young ladies enter London society with one common goal: they must use their feminine wit and wiles to find a husband.So a daring husband-hunting scheme is born.

Annabelle Peyton, determined to save her family from disaster, decides to use her beauty and wit to tempt a suitable nobleman into making an offer of marriage. But Annabelle's most intriguing—and persistent—admirer, wealthy, powerful Simon Hunt, has made it clear that while he will introduce her to irresistible pleasure he will not offer marriage. Annabelle is determined to resist his unthinkable proposition . . . but it is impossible in the face of such skillful seduction.

Her friends, looking to help, conspire to entice a more suitable gentleman to offer for Annabelle, for only then will she be safe from Simon—and her own longings. But on one summer night, Annabelle succumbs to Simon's passionate embrace and tempting kisses . . . and she discovers that love is the most dangerous game of all.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:29 -0400)

Desperate to save her family from ruin, Annabelle Peyton plans to use her beauty and wit to marry a wealthy aristocrat, but her plans are undermined by the intriguing Simon Hunt, who offers seduction but not marriage.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,137,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible