Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas

Secrets of a Summer Night

by Lisa Kleypas

1,437575,229 (3.81)1 / 71
Recently added byprivate library, SFF1928-1973, iturnedthepage, Rena37, Aneris, hammockqueen

English (54)  German (1)  All (1)  All (56)
A match between a commoner and a lady. This book is worth reading if nothing but to watch Annabelle grow as a person. From a lady who looks down on everyone not of her class, she becomes a wonderful person worthy of a man like Simon Hunt.
That is not the only thing which is great in this story. I stubbornly refuse to accept that men like Simon Hunt exist only in romances. I'll go with 'if an author created him, then there has to be someone like that in real world'. The man is simply, to use Annabelle's words, splendid. He is a hard working, capable, smart and patient (more than a lot of others anyway) man. Oh, well, maybe he couldn't exist after all.

They met two years ago and he stole a kiss. He has been watching her husband hunting for two years.
In the first half of the book Annabelle is beyond annoying. I started to wonder if he was delusional about her. Their banter is wonderful and wicked at times. I loved how confident he is. After Annabelle's situation and the sacrifices her mother had to make are revealed to us, I felt sorry for her.
There isn't any real villain. There are those who want to use Annabelle's predicament to have her though.
The ending is something worth reading too. Maybe some might consider it too much, but I liked it.

During Annabelle's last season she made friends with three young women also husband hunting: Evie, Lilian and Daisy. They made a plan to find Annabelle a husband, but even the best plans could go crazy when people like Simon Hunt and Annabelle are involved. The sisters Lilian and Daisy provide so much humour that a few times they stole all the attention. "Never fear", Lilian continued, "eventually we will succeed in infilitrating London society, and then we'll marry Lord Heavydebts and Lord Shallowpockets, and finally assume our places as ladies of the manor." ... "Daisy", Lilian said, "we're talking about a man whose idea of high entertainment is to look at plants. His treshold of boredom is obviously limitless." A few parts of the story are a bit slow, Annabelle's character could have had more depth and later in the book we see everything only from her point of view. ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
3.5 stars ( )
  veredi | Mar 25, 2017 |
3.5 stars ( )
  veredi | Mar 25, 2017 |
Annabelle Peyton is on her fourth season and she must catch a husband this year or she'll be left with the shameful choice of becoming someone's mistress in order to save her family's finances. While at a ball she finally chats with the three other women who have all been condemned to being wallflowers for various reasons. The quartet form a pact to help each other find husbands beginning with Annabelle as the eldest. But while the women work to get Annabelle engaged to eligible Lord Kendall, Annabelle must fight her own growing attraction to the newly rich but entirely unsuitable Simon Hunt.

I enjoyed this historical romance thoroughly. Kleypas sets up a lovely premise with the four wallflowers working together to snag a husband in the difficult market of the early Victorian era. Watching Annabelle and Simon's relationship is a thorough delight and the denouement was actually a surprise for me as the final conflict was not what I had anticipated. I'll be picking up the other books in this series and Kleypas has made my list of authors to pick up when I'm in the mood for a historical romance. ( )
  MickyFine | Dec 7, 2016 |
Secrets of a Summer Night
4 Stars

Synopsis
Annabelle Peyton is in want of a husband. She doesn't require much only that he be a peer and have sufficient funds to raise her family out of poverty. Simon Hunt is a self made man who has everything he could ever want except the one woman who will never have him - Annabelle. Can these two very different people find a way to overcome their differences for love?

Reviews
Charming and funny read with a very hunky hero but the heroine rubbed me the wrong way.

While Annabelle is in desperate straits and it is difficult not to sympathize with her circumstances, she is nevertheless not a likeable character due to her haughty, mercenary, elitist and selfish personality. She does ultimately redeem herself but it was too late for me. Simon, on the other hand, is simply perfect - honest, intelligent, sexy and sensual, understanding and accepting, loving and determined - I could go on and on but I won't. His only flaw is his attraction to Annabelle as I have no idea what he sees in her.

The plot is an enjoyable yet predictable love/hate romance with some Pride & Prejudice thrown in for good measure. The historical background on Victorian social norms are well researched and interesting, especially the descriptions of the decline of the aristocracy and the rise of the industrialist middle class. The portrayal of the difficult choices faced by women who fall outside the accepted conventions is also very apt.

The writing is good although it does lack a certain flow. I sometimes found myself re-reading lines and even entire paragraphs just to make sure I was following the action.

The real highlight of the book is the hysterically funny banter, machinations and antics of the Wallflowers. The Rounders-in-Knickers scenes still have me smiling.

Overall, an entertaining beginning to a promising series. Lillian and Marcus are up next and I look forward to seeing just how crazy they can drive each other. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
To Julie Murphy,
for taking care of Griffin and Lindsay
with such love, endless patience and skill...
for lending your many talents to the business side of my career...
for being a cherished member of our family...
And most of all, for being you.

Love always,
L.K.
London, 1841
Although Annabelle Peyton had been warned all her life never to take money from strangers, she made an exception one day...and quickly discovered why she should have heeded her mother's advice.
"Somehow I've never thought of husband-hunting as a team sport."

page 27

Four young ladies enter London society with one common goal: they must use their feminine wit and wiles to find a husband. So a daring husband-hunting scheme is born.

1841. Annabelle Peyton, determined to save her family from disaster, decides to use her beauty and wit to tempt a suitable nobleman into making an offer of marriage. But Annabelle's most intriguing -- and persistent -- admirer, wealthy, powerful Simon Hunt, has made it clear that while he will introduce her to irresistible pleasure he will not offer marriage. Annabelle is determined to resist his unthinkable proposition ... but it is impossible in the face of such skillful seduction.

Her friends, looking to help, conspire to entice a more suitable gentleman to offer for Annabelle, for only then will she be safe from Simon -- and her own longings. But on one summer night, Annabelle succumbs to Simon's passionate embrace and tempting kisses ... and she discovers that love is the most dangerous game of all.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060091290, Mass Market Paperback)

Four young ladies enter London society with one common goal: they must use their feminine wit and wiles to find a husband.So a daring husband-hunting scheme is born.

Annabelle Peyton, determined to save her family from disaster, decides to use her beauty and wit to tempt a suitable nobleman into making an offer of marriage. But Annabelle's most intriguing—and persistent—admirer, wealthy, powerful Simon Hunt, has made it clear that while he will introduce her to irresistible pleasure he will not offer marriage. Annabelle is determined to resist his unthinkable proposition . . . but it is impossible in the face of such skillful seduction.

Her friends, looking to help, conspire to entice a more suitable gentleman to offer for Annabelle, for only then will she be safe from Simon—and her own longings. But on one summer night, Annabelle succumbs to Simon's passionate embrace and tempting kisses . . . and she discovers that love is the most dangerous game of all.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:29 -0400)

Desperate to save her family from ruin, Annabelle Peyton plans to use her beauty and wit to marry a wealthy aristocrat, but her plans are undermined by the intriguing Simon Hunt, who offers seduction but not marriage.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,418,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible