Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas

Secrets of a Summer Night

by Lisa Kleypas

1,208None6,583 (3.82)1 / 66

I was NOT NOT NOT expecting to like this. But I did! I do not usually read historical fiction. Kleypas has lured me in. I am immediately reading the next book in the series and will more than likely read all of Kleypas's books. She is a very good writer. I actually paused over several passages to take note of how eloquent or poignant they were. I am moderately versed in the historical culture of 19th century British life and I found Kleypas mixture of historical fact with modern fancy to be fairly balanced. I will admit that the plot got a bit thin towards the end, but action took over at that point and I was very satisfied with the ending. Though I am not yet sure if I will be adding this book to my Favorites shelf, I would definitely recommend it to friends. ( )
  Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |
The first half of this book was 4 stars. The second half was only 2 stars, hence the overall 3 star rating. Halfway through this book, I ordered the rest of the series, I was enjoying it so much. Now I wish I hadn't. :(

Kleypas has a nice, fluid writing style, but once the hero and heroine got together, this book really ran out of steam. The wallflowers scenarios with the four friends sets up the series, but there wasn't much of a real plot to carry the book all the way through.

Also, I enjoy a good sex scenes (and hers were pretty good), but the middle of the book is pretty much one after the other. I think a sex scene should move the story forward, not just be a recounting of all the ways they did it.

Since the others are on the way, I will be giving them a try. Fingers crossed! :) ( )
  CyndiTefft | Feb 7, 2014 |
I've enjoyed the wallflowers series immensely (although I did read them a bit out of order). The story of Annabelle, Lillian, Evi & Daisy and their friendship is wonderful. Each girl brings a unique addition to the unusual group. Their antics and plans are hilarious and I especially loved their meadow games in knickers! Several points in this book had me laughing out loud.

Where the story lost a few points for me is in Annabelle's persistent desire to only marry a man of rank (even though she needed wealth) and then her continued obsession over wealth and class. Although a character of the times, I still think Annabelle was a bit too harsh on Simon and his family. Simon's pursuit in Annabelle despite her repeated disinterest amazed me as well. Other than her being pretty and a quickly shared kiss, I do not understand what he saw in her that attracted him so.

Outside of that, the story overall was wonderful and enjoyable and fun. A great book, although not my favorite in the series. ( )
  Azacia | Dec 8, 2013 |
enjoyable about annabel and simon hunt, she's from the periphery of the peerage and he's a self made butcher's son - and their romance leads to wedding bells ( )
  afarrington | Oct 20, 2013 |
I'm being lazy and reviewing the entire series as one. Also many of my thoughts apply to all the books. I've never been a big romance person but I've never been opposed to them either. I discovered this series on a list for top romance series when I needed something for the 2013 Challenge Group Februray Challenge. Spoilers for the series follow:

One thing I didn't like about each book was, with one exception, every single female was a virgin and every single male had had plenty of partners (and in the cases where the male was already attracted to her, he thought of her when with the person). The reason some of the proposals happened was because he had "compromised" her (loved that phrase). Yet the men never had that worry about all the other women they had been with?

Past that these books were fun and I enjoyed each one. I was happy I read Again the Magic first since then I had a prior knowledge of the Westcliffs and in particular Marcus. I was sad that Aline and McKenna never appeared in the rest of the series. McKenna's proposal was probably my favorite of all the couples.

Simon and Annabelle were probably my favorite couple overall. I was surprised that many other reviewers labelled her as snobbish. I understand at the beginning she was hellbent on marrying a peer but primarily for the money for her family. I don't see anything wrong with that. Simon only went after her as a mistress and that was why I felt she ignored him. Once he did actually propose she almost instantly accepted him. Loved that he kept trying to compromise her afterwards in order to make sure she would marry him. After the marriage she did have trouble accepting the change in her life but she never blamed him. I adored the ending with her going after him and Westcliff saving them both and the two of them finally getting along.

Westcliff is probably my favorite male character and I did really like Lillian. Their book was not my favorite because I felt it borrowed too much from Pride and Prejudice, which I adore. The two stubborn lovers with the male as an upper class aristocrat, a bad first proposal, a wedding obsessed mother, and a conniving countess. Loved the ending again with Westcliff beating the shit out of St. Vincent. Hilarious! This book did have my favorite passage:

"You may set your mind at ease with the knowledge that I do not find you desireable in any way whatsoever."
"I understand. Enough said, my lord."
"If the two of us were left alone on a deserted island, I would have absolutely no thought of approaching you."
"I realize that," she said shortly. "You don't have to go on and on about it."
"I just want to make it clear that what I did was a complete aberration. You are not the kind of woman wom I would ever be attracted to."
"All right."
"In fact-"
"You've made yourself quite clear, my lord."

St. Vincent and Evie's story was enjoyable and I thoguht they worked quite well together. I was sad that none of the other wallflowers showed up till over halfway through the book. I also didn't realize that Evie's father appears in an earlier series, so I may have to pick that up next.

Scandal in Spring was my least favorite of the four wallflower series. I liked the concept but I figured out basically what Matthew's secret was from the start and kept getting annoyed that he put off telling her till it was too late. The game between the two of them was interesting and I enjoyed seeing how protective Westcliff had become of Daisy.

Wallflower Christmas was fun but I did not enjoy it as much as the previous five books.

renrav | Sep 22, 2013 |
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
To Julie Murphy,
for taking care of Griffin and Lindsay
with such love, endless patience and skill...
for lending your many talents to the business side of my career...
for being a cherished member of our family...
And most of all, for being you.

Love always,
L.K.
London, 1841
Although Annabelle Peyton had been warned all her life never to take money from strangers, she made an exception one day...and quickly discovered why she should have heeded her mother's advice.
"Somehow I've never thought of husband-hunting as a team sport."

page 27

Four young ladies enter London society with one common goal: they must use their feminine wit and wiles to find a husband. So a daring husband-hunting scheme is born.

1841. Annabelle Peyton, determined to save her family from disaster, decides to use her beauty and wit to tempt a suitable nobleman into making an offer of marriage. But Annabelle's most intriguing -- and persistent -- admirer, wealthy, powerful Simon Hunt, has made it clear that while he will introduce her to irresistible pleasure he will not offer marriage. Annabelle is determined to resist his unthinkable proposition ... but it is impossible in the face of such skillful seduction.

Her friends, looking to help, conspire to entice a more suitable gentleman to offer for Annabelle, for only then will she be safe from Simon -- and her own longings. But on one summer night, Annabelle succumbs to Simon's passionate embrace and tempting kisses ... and she discovers that love is the most dangerous game of all.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060091290, Mass Market Paperback)

Four young ladies enter London society with one common goal: they must use their feminine wit and wiles to find a husband.So a daring husband-hunting scheme is born.

Annabelle Peyton, determined to save her family from disaster, decides to use her beauty and wit to tempt a suitable nobleman into making an offer of marriage. But Annabelle's most intriguing—and persistent—admirer, wealthy, powerful Simon Hunt, has made it clear that while he will introduce her to irresistible pleasure he will not offer marriage. Annabelle is determined to resist his unthinkable proposition . . . but it is impossible in the face of such skillful seduction.

Her friends, looking to help, conspire to entice a more suitable gentleman to offer for Annabelle, for only then will she be safe from Simon—and her own longings. But on one summer night, Annabelle succumbs to Simon's passionate embrace and tempting kisses . . . and she discovers that love is the most dangerous game of all.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:44 -0400)

Desperate to save her family from ruin, Annabelle Peyton plans to use her beauty and wit to marry a wealthy aristocrat, but her plans are undermined by the intriguing Simon Hunt, who offers seduction but not marriage.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible