Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas

Secrets of a Summer Night

by Lisa Kleypas

1,260456,279 (3.84)1 / 68

As a Kleypas virgin, I had to know what all the fuss was about. I've not read much historical romance so I didn't know what I was getting myself into but I'm very glad I picked this up. I understand now why this author has so many devoted fans.

Four young single ladies come together to help each other find husbands. They decide as a group that Annabelle as the oldest should be the first to be married off.

Simon Hunt as a predator determined to snag his prey (Annabelle) was excellent. I loved the way he looked at his competition, the supposedly superior upper classes who disgusted both me and him when they purposely snubbed the gorgeous and unattached Annabelle so she'd be so desperate when she couldn't find someone decent to marry her she'd be forced to become some dishonourable (and possibly married) man's mistress. When Simon learned she'd most likely go to the highest bidder, I could actually imagine his feral grin as he realised he was the richest man in England and therefore most likely to get her.

Despite being looked down upon for growing up working class and being of "new" money, Simon was a better man for knowing the value of hard work and money earned, as well as a woman with a brain. I was very pleased when he taught Annabelle how to play chess and encouraging her to be interested in his work.

This was a heart-warming and funny story. I will most definitely be reading more from this author. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
A match between a commoner and a lady. This book is worth reading if nothing but to watch Annabelle grow as a person. From a lady who looks down on everyone not of her class, she becomes a wonderful person worthy of a man like Simon Hunt.
That is not the only thing which is great in this story. I stubbornly refuse to accept that men like Simon Hunt exist only in romances. I'll go with 'if an author created him, then there has to be someone like that in real world'. The man is simply, to use Annabelle's words, splendid. He is a hard working, capable, smart and patient (more than a lot of others anyway) man. Oh, well, maybe he couldn't exist after all.

They met two years ago and he stole a kiss. He has been watching her husband hunting for two years.
In the first half of the book Annabelle is beyond annoying. I started to wonder if he was delusional about her. Their banter is wonderful and wicked at times. I loved how confident he is. After Annabelle's situation and the sacrifices her mother had to make are revealed to us, I felt sorry for her.
There isn't any real villain. There are those who want to use Annabelle's predicament to have her though.
The ending is something worth reading too. Maybe some might consider it too much, but I liked it.

During Annabelle's last season she made friends with three young women also husband hunting: Evie, Lilian and Daisy. They made a plan to find Annabelle a husband, but even the best plans could go crazy when people like Simon Hunt and Annabelle are involved. The sisters Lilian and Daisy provide so much humour that a few times they stole all the attention. "Never fear", Lilian continued, "eventually we will succeed in infilitrating London society, and then we'll marry Lord Heavydebts and Lord Shallowpockets, and finally assume our places as ladies of the manor." ... "Daisy", Lilian said, "we're talking about a man whose idea of high entertainment is to look at plants. His treshold of boredom is obviously limitless." A few parts of the story are a bit slow, Annabelle's character could have had more depth and later in the book we see everything only from her point of view. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
My roommate is always trying to get me to read Lisa Kleypas books, and I think I see why. This book was sheer fun. Easy to read, enjoyable, mostly realistic and free of obvious anachronisms. I'll read more! ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Annabelle Peyton's family needs her to marry well. They are relying on the attentions of a man who is using her mother. Her brother is still in school and she needs a good marriage, this she translates as a noble marriage, but Simon Hunt, who is attracted to her and she finds attractive, is a commoner, this will affect her future.

Full of lavacious nobles, romance, thoughtful gifts (never have a pair of walking boots been so romantic!) and societal changes. It's an interesting read and I love the wallflowers and want to see what happens to the next one, but I worry about Annabelle and her friendships. ( )
  wyvernfriend | May 28, 2014 |
I was NOT NOT NOT expecting to like this. But I did! I do not usually read historical fiction. Kleypas has lured me in. I am immediately reading the next book in the series and will more than likely read all of Kleypas's books. She is a very good writer. I actually paused over several passages to take note of how eloquent or poignant they were. I am moderately versed in the historical culture of 19th century British life and I found Kleypas mixture of historical fact with modern fancy to be fairly balanced. I will admit that the plot got a bit thin towards the end, but action took over at that point and I was very satisfied with the ending. Though I am not yet sure if I will be adding this book to my Favorites shelf, I would definitely recommend it to friends. ( )
  Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
To Julie Murphy,
for taking care of Griffin and Lindsay
with such love, endless patience and skill...
for lending your many talents to the business side of my career...
for being a cherished member of our family...
And most of all, for being you.

Love always,
L.K.
London, 1841
Although Annabelle Peyton had been warned all her life never to take money from strangers, she made an exception one day...and quickly discovered why she should have heeded her mother's advice.
"Somehow I've never thought of husband-hunting as a team sport."

page 27

Four young ladies enter London society with one common goal: they must use their feminine wit and wiles to find a husband. So a daring husband-hunting scheme is born.

1841. Annabelle Peyton, determined to save her family from disaster, decides to use her beauty and wit to tempt a suitable nobleman into making an offer of marriage. But Annabelle's most intriguing -- and persistent -- admirer, wealthy, powerful Simon Hunt, has made it clear that while he will introduce her to irresistible pleasure he will not offer marriage. Annabelle is determined to resist his unthinkable proposition ... but it is impossible in the face of such skillful seduction.

Her friends, looking to help, conspire to entice a more suitable gentleman to offer for Annabelle, for only then will she be safe from Simon -- and her own longings. But on one summer night, Annabelle succumbs to Simon's passionate embrace and tempting kisses ... and she discovers that love is the most dangerous game of all.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060091290, Mass Market Paperback)

Four young ladies enter London society with one common goal: they must use their feminine wit and wiles to find a husband.So a daring husband-hunting scheme is born.

Annabelle Peyton, determined to save her family from disaster, decides to use her beauty and wit to tempt a suitable nobleman into making an offer of marriage. But Annabelle's most intriguing—and persistent—admirer, wealthy, powerful Simon Hunt, has made it clear that while he will introduce her to irresistible pleasure he will not offer marriage. Annabelle is determined to resist his unthinkable proposition . . . but it is impossible in the face of such skillful seduction.

Her friends, looking to help, conspire to entice a more suitable gentleman to offer for Annabelle, for only then will she be safe from Simon—and her own longings. But on one summer night, Annabelle succumbs to Simon's passionate embrace and tempting kisses . . . and she discovers that love is the most dangerous game of all.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:44 -0400)

Desperate to save her family from ruin, Annabelle Peyton plans to use her beauty and wit to marry a wealthy aristocrat, but her plans are undermined by the intriguing Simon Hunt, who offers seduction but not marriage.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,314,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible