Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas

Secrets of a Summer Night

by Lisa Kleypas

1,248416,431 (3.83)1 / 67

A match between a commoner and a lady. This book is worth reading if nothing but to watch Annabelle grow as a person. From a lady who looks down on everyone not of her class, she becomes a wonderful person worthy of a man like Simon Hunt.
That is not the only thing which is great in this story. I stubbornly refuse to accept that men like Simon Hunt exist only in romances. I'll go with 'if an author created him, then there has to be someone like that in real world'. The man is simply, to use Annabelle's words, splendid. He is a hard working, capable, smart and patient (more than a lot of others anyway) man. Oh, well, maybe he couldn't exist after all.

They met two years ago and he stole a kiss. He has been watching her husband hunting for two years.
In the first half of the book Annabelle is beyond annoying. I started to wonder if he was delusional about her. Their banter is wonderful and wicked at times. I loved how confident he is. After Annabelle's situation and the sacrifices her mother had to make are revealed to us, I felt sorry for her.
There isn't any real villain. There are those who want to use Annabelle's predicament to have her though.
The ending is something worth reading too. Maybe some might consider it too much, but I liked it.

During Annabelle's last season she made friends with three young women also husband hunting: Evie, Lilian and Daisy. They made a plan to find Annabelle a husband, but even the best plans could go crazy when people like Simon Hunt and Annabelle are involved. The sisters Lilian and Daisy provide so much humour that a few times they stole all the attention. "Never fear", Lilian continued, "eventually we will succeed in infilitrating London society, and then we'll marry Lord Heavydebts and Lord Shallowpockets, and finally assume our places as ladies of the manor." ... "Daisy", Lilian said, "we're talking about a man whose idea of high entertainment is to look at plants. His treshold of boredom is obviously limitless." A few parts of the story are a bit slow, Annabelle's character could have had more depth and later in the book we see everything only from her point of view. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
My roommate is always trying to get me to read Lisa Kleypas books, and I think I see why. This book was sheer fun. Easy to read, enjoyable, mostly realistic and free of obvious anachronisms. I'll read more! ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
This review contains spoilers!

My second time reading. I'm not in love with it like the first time, but it's still very good.

I thought the writing was top notch. There were many instances where I thought the wording was pretty.

I liked the interaction between the wallflowers the best. It was a lot of fun plus I liked seeing the ladies help each other out. There were some funny moments like when the wallflowers were discovered playing rounders in their undergarments. Even more hilarious were Lilian and Lord Westcliff's interactions. Lillian is sassy and isn't afraid to say what she wants to say to Westcliff, and Westcliff is just amazed at Lilian's nerve. I'm glad their book is next, because I definitely want to see what happens between them.

I thought the weakest part was the romance between Annabelle and Simon. It was sort of boring and bland. There were some great moments though like when Simon gifted boots to Annabelle since she didn't own a good pair of walking shoes.. Annabelle also saveed Simon when he got trapped in the burning warehouse. ( )
  missreaderbooks | Jul 6, 2014 |
Annabelle Peyton's family needs her to marry well. They are relying on the attentions of a man who is using her mother. Her brother is still in school and she needs a good marriage, this she translates as a noble marriage, but Simon Hunt, who is attracted to her and she finds attractive, is a commoner, this will affect her future.

Full of lavacious nobles, romance, thoughtful gifts (never have a pair of walking boots been so romantic!) and societal changes. It's an interesting read and I love the wallflowers and want to see what happens to the next one, but I worry about Annabelle and her friendships. ( )
  wyvernfriend | May 28, 2014 |
I was NOT NOT NOT expecting to like this. But I did! I do not usually read historical fiction. Kleypas has lured me in. I am immediately reading the next book in the series and will more than likely read all of Kleypas's books. She is a very good writer. I actually paused over several passages to take note of how eloquent or poignant they were. I am moderately versed in the historical culture of 19th century British life and I found Kleypas mixture of historical fact with modern fancy to be fairly balanced. I will admit that the plot got a bit thin towards the end, but action took over at that point and I was very satisfied with the ending. Though I am not yet sure if I will be adding this book to my Favorites shelf, I would definitely recommend it to friends. ( )
  Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
To Julie Murphy,
for taking care of Griffin and Lindsay
with such love, endless patience and skill...
for lending your many talents to the business side of my career...
for being a cherished member of our family...
And most of all, for being you.

Love always,
L.K.
London, 1841
Although Annabelle Peyton had been warned all her life never to take money from strangers, she made an exception one day...and quickly discovered why she should have heeded her mother's advice.
"Somehow I've never thought of husband-hunting as a team sport."

page 27

Four young ladies enter London society with one common goal: they must use their feminine wit and wiles to find a husband. So a daring husband-hunting scheme is born.

1841. Annabelle Peyton, determined to save her family from disaster, decides to use her beauty and wit to tempt a suitable nobleman into making an offer of marriage. But Annabelle's most intriguing -- and persistent -- admirer, wealthy, powerful Simon Hunt, has made it clear that while he will introduce her to irresistible pleasure he will not offer marriage. Annabelle is determined to resist his unthinkable proposition ... but it is impossible in the face of such skillful seduction.

Her friends, looking to help, conspire to entice a more suitable gentleman to offer for Annabelle, for only then will she be safe from Simon -- and her own longings. But on one summer night, Annabelle succumbs to Simon's passionate embrace and tempting kisses ... and she discovers that love is the most dangerous game of all.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060091290, Mass Market Paperback)

Four young ladies enter London society with one common goal: they must use their feminine wit and wiles to find a husband.So a daring husband-hunting scheme is born.

Annabelle Peyton, determined to save her family from disaster, decides to use her beauty and wit to tempt a suitable nobleman into making an offer of marriage. But Annabelle's most intriguing—and persistent—admirer, wealthy, powerful Simon Hunt, has made it clear that while he will introduce her to irresistible pleasure he will not offer marriage. Annabelle is determined to resist his unthinkable proposition . . . but it is impossible in the face of such skillful seduction.

Her friends, looking to help, conspire to entice a more suitable gentleman to offer for Annabelle, for only then will she be safe from Simon—and her own longings. But on one summer night, Annabelle succumbs to Simon's passionate embrace and tempting kisses . . . and she discovers that love is the most dangerous game of all.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:44 -0400)

Desperate to save her family from ruin, Annabelle Peyton plans to use her beauty and wit to marry a wealthy aristocrat, but her plans are undermined by the intriguing Simon Hunt, who offers seduction but not marriage.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,283,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible