It Happened One Autumn by Lisa Kleypas

It Happened One Autumn

by Lisa Kleypas

1,414525,348 (3.98)1 / 76
    At the Bride Hunt Ball by Olivia Parker (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are set during house parties and feature an aloof hero struggling against his feelings for an utterly unsuitable bride. Sparks and witty banter fly! At the Bride Hunt Ball features a Regency-style version of The Bachelor and a heroine too clumsy to have a chance at landing a handsome husband (or so everyone thinks). It Happened One Autumn has a spirited free-wheeling American heroine paired with (a rather stodgy) English aristocrat who can't seem to resist her. Both stories had me grinning like the Cheshire Cat throughout!… (more)
    Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Different subgenres of romance - Practice Makes Perfect is a contemporary romantic comedy about two lawyers vying for the same promotion, while It Happened One Autumn is a historical romance set at a house party, but both stories have a bickering, bantering couple whose fencing with words masks a deep-seated attraction. I found both stories hilarious and emotionally satisfying.… (more)

An entertaining story of a wild American heiress and an infallible Lord Westcliff. Nothing new or special about it, but it was still fun to read.
The events close to the end at at best baffling. I found them a bit too much. It felt as if the story needed a villain to do something terrible and one of the characters was simply forced into the role. I could accept it if the said character weren't likeable. For example, in [b:The Abduction of Julia|668054|The Abduction of Julia (Rogues, #1)|Karen Hawkins|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1347396416s/668054.jpg|654099] you have a similar situation in the end, but you get occasional hints that Nick might be redeemed. Here, the guy is really likeable throughout the book until he does the thing in the end. Maybe others won't see it the same, but for me the ending was a bit rushed.

The story mostly focuses on all the differences between Marcus and Lillian. As I said, entertaining. ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
A headstrong American wallflower + an arrogant English Duke = a love story for the ages. Kleypas’ exceptional series, beloved by historical romance fans, is one you won’t want to miss.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Feb 27, 2017 |
Straight up fun. Good characters, witty banter, lovely romance. A beach read extraordinaire. ( )
  Narshkite | Dec 9, 2016 |
As the second eldest of the self-named wallflowers, Lillian Bowman is the next to benefit from the group's concerted efforts to find her a husband. As the group are invited to Marcus, Count Westcliff's Hampshire estate for a country party the women have a good chance of finding a suitable suitor for Lillian. But when Lillian and Marcus discover that their longstanding antagonism masks a surprising attraction, Lillian's marriage plans are suddenly altered.

A case of two strong willed characters clash repeatedly but are also super attracted to each other. It was a thoroughly entertaining read. ( )
  MickyFine | Dec 9, 2016 |
Everything I could ask for in a Historical Romance and more!

The Good: Being so character driven of course I have to list Lillian and Marcus as being the "Good" in this book. Their banter is delightful. Lisa Kleypas certainly knows how to do entertaining dialogue. I love that both Lillian and Marcus profess their complete dislike of each other throughout the book yet find their amazing chemistry at odds with their brains. There is a scene at towards the beginning where 3 of the Wallflowers go to the wishing well to wish Marcus a wife. Well, in 2 of their cases they wished for a wife/love of his life but in Lillian's case, after decided that he is infuriating, wishes a woman for him that'll bring him to his knees. I love her. I love him. I love them.

The ended was pretty amazeballs and after our hero rescued our heroine from the dastardly villain one can't help but wonder how Kleypas could possibly turn that villain into a hero. Not the first time she's done that but it amazes me each and every time. I guess I'll have to read the next book to find out how she does it.

The Bad: I got nothing. Nada. Zilch. I loved this book and everything about it.

In a Nutshell: Another wonderful book by Lisa Kleypas. Another great installment of the Wallflower series. Another book to put on my Keeper shelf. I'll keep this book and read it again some day when I'm in a funk and can't find my way out. It's that good. ( )
  ChristinaT. | Dec 3, 2016 |
To Christina Dodd,
my sister, friend and inspiration.

Love, L.K.
Two young women stood at the threshold of the perfumery, one tugging impatiently at the arm of the other.

It happened at the ball . . .

Where beautiful but bold Lillian Bowman quickly learned that her independent American ways weren't entirely "the thing." And the most disapproving of all was insufferable, snobbish, and impossible Marcus, Lord Westcliff, London's most eligible aristocrat.

It happened in the garden . . .

When Marcus shockingly—and dangerously–swept her into his arms. Lillian was overcome with a consuming passion for a man she didn't even like. Time stood still; it was as if no one else existed . . . thank goodness they weren't caught very nearly in the act!

It happened one autumn . . .

Marcus was a man in charge of his own emotions, a bedrock of stability. But with Lillian, every touch was exquisite torture, every kiss an enticement for more. Yet how could he consider taking a woman so blatantly unsuitable . . . as his bride?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060562498, Mass Market Paperback)

Four young ladies enter London society with one necessary goal: they must use their feminine wit and wiles to find a husband. So they band together, and a daring husband-hunting scheme is born.

It Happened at the Ball...

It Happened in the Garden…

When Marcus shockingly -- and dangerously–swept her into his arms. Lillian was overcome with a consuming passion for a man she didn't even like. Time stood still; it was as if no one else existed…thank goodness they weren't caught very nearly in the act!

It Happened One Autumn...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:36 -0400)

Fiercely independent American Lillian Bowman, in London to find a husband, matches wits with the insufferable, snobbish, and irresistible Marcus, Lord Westcliff, society's most eligible bachelor.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,418,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible