It Happened One Autumn (The Wallflowers,…

It Happened One Autumn (The Wallflowers, Book 2) (edition 2005)

by Lisa Kleypas

1,643566,407 (3.98)1 / 78
Member:teddybears2300
Title:It Happened One Autumn (The Wallflowers, Book 2)
Authors:Lisa Kleypas
Info:Avon (2005), Edition: First Avon Books Paperback Printing Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages

It Happened One Autumn by Lisa Kleypas

Recently added byrena75, Jenn2523, 65656565, BriannaLee_1
    At the Bride Hunt Ball by Olivia Parker (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are set during house parties and feature an aloof hero struggling against his feelings for an utterly unsuitable bride. Sparks and witty banter fly! At the Bride Hunt Ball features a Regency-style version of The Bachelor and a heroine too clumsy to have a chance at landing a handsome husband (or so everyone thinks). It Happened One Autumn has a spirited free-wheeling American heroine paired with (a rather stodgy) English aristocrat who can't seem to resist her. Both stories had me grinning like the Cheshire Cat throughout!… (more)
    Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Different subgenres of romance - Practice Makes Perfect is a contemporary romantic comedy about two lawyers vying for the same promotion, while It Happened One Autumn is a historical romance set at a house party, but both stories have a bickering, bantering couple whose fencing with words masks a deep-seated attraction. I found both stories hilarious and emotionally satisfying.… (more)

They don't even like each other, but she has friends in this strange repressive country and one of them is married to a man he highly respects. She is a wild thing from the colonies whose father wants her to marry a peer and he is a peer who is expected to marry within his class. Lots of fireworks between them and a few surprising twists! I loved it the first couple of times I read it, and I still do.
Rosalyn Landor is a marvelous narrator ( )
  jetangen4571 | Sep 6, 2018 |
Definitely a 4.5 star book. I really enjoyed this one! Funny, incredibly likable heroine, Lillian, that I definitely identified with (except for the wealthy virgin bit). I *adored* Marcus, with his emotional baggage and frustration with his own attraction to Lillian (though his behavior does end up being problematic, in my opinion). Lots of steamy drama. The epilogue made me glad I have the playaway of Devil In Winter in hand! ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
It Happened One Autumn
5 Stars

Synopsis
It is hate at first sight for Marcus Marsden, Earl of Westcliff, and the brash American heiress, Miss Lillian Bowman. He sees her as brash and ill-mannered while she perceives him as arrogant and snobbish. The only problem is that they can't seem to keep their hands off each other. Will they be able to get past their differences and accept that they are perfect for one another?

Review
Delightful and fun.

The writing and dialogue is excellent and the influence of Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice is very much in evidence from the load and boorish parents to the slightly shady suitor (although St. Vincent is much sexier than Wickham) and the arrogant hero who is brought to his knees by the unconventional heroine.

Marcus and Lillian have an all-consuming passion and chemistry that sizzles the pages. Their opposites attract romance with its witty banter and steamy scenes is wonderful. Marcus is sexy in his stuffiness and struggles against his attraction to a woman he perceives as beneath him (Darcy anyone). Nevertheless, the vibrant and headstrong Lillian breaks through all of his barriers.

The perfume aphrodisiac motif was original and entertaining although the "secret ingredient" was obvious from the start.

The ending is unexpected and exciting, and it will be fascinating to see how St. Vincent redeems himself in the next book - the epilogue ensured that I would read the book immediately. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
I loved Marcus - and his attraction to Lillian! Found myself skimming over a few bedroom scenes near the end as more that 2/3 and that's what I tend to do.. but it kept me reading and I enjoyed it. ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |
Wealthy American Lillian Bowman is has been brought to London by her parents to find a titled husband. After being snubbed at the society balls during "the season," her father (a man who made his fortune in manufacturing soap) is invited to the country estate of Lord Westcliff to discuss entering into a business merger. Lillian is outspoken, rebellious and a little tom-boyish and the stodgy, proud Lord Westcliff hate each other. Lillian, however, bought a perfume in London that is supposed to be an aphrodesiac and as a lark decides to try it out on Marcus Westcliff. She, of course, thinks it's the perfume that is making his interest in her. Lots of amusing banter as the brash American is exposed to English customs and the aristocracy, especially during dinnner. ( )
  Kathy89 | Sep 9, 2017 |
To Christina Dodd,
my sister, friend and inspiration.

Love, L.K.
Two young women stood at the threshold of the perfumery, one tugging impatiently at the arm of the other.

It happened at the ball . . .

Where beautiful but bold Lillian Bowman quickly learned that her independent American ways weren't entirely "the thing." And the most disapproving of all was insufferable, snobbish, and impossible Marcus, Lord Westcliff, London's most eligible aristocrat.

It happened in the garden . . .

When Marcus shockingly—and dangerously–swept her into his arms. Lillian was overcome with a consuming passion for a man she didn't even like. Time stood still; it was as if no one else existed . . . thank goodness they weren't caught very nearly in the act!

It happened one autumn . . .

Marcus was a man in charge of his own emotions, a bedrock of stability. But with Lillian, every touch was exquisite torture, every kiss an enticement for more. Yet how could he consider taking a woman so blatantly unsuitable . . . as his bride?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060562498, Mass Market Paperback)

Four young ladies enter London society with one necessary goal: they must use their feminine wit and wiles to find a husband. So they band together, and a daring husband-hunting scheme is born.

It Happened at the Ball...

It Happened in the Garden…

When Marcus shockingly -- and dangerously–swept her into his arms. Lillian was overcome with a consuming passion for a man she didn't even like. Time stood still; it was as if no one else existed…thank goodness they weren't caught very nearly in the act!

It Happened One Autumn...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:36 -0400)

Fiercely independent American Lillian Bowman, in London to find a husband, matches wits with the insufferable, snobbish, and irresistible Marcus, Lord Westcliff, society's most eligible bachelor.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,577,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible