Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas

by Lisa Kleypas

1,050258,021 (4.22)1 / 52

Dreaming of You
4 Stars

Researching her latest book, Sara Fielding finds herself in the slums of London at the exact moment to save the life of notorious gaming hell owner, Derek Craven. Now in her debt, Derek is duty bound to allow this innocent miss into his dark and seedy world only to realize that she is precisely what his lonely and cynical heart is looking for.

While the story is entertaining, it doesn't really live up to the hype. Kleypas certainly knows how to write a sexy, dark and tortured hero (although she has yummier ones than Derek), and Sara is an endearing mix of shy, sweet, intelligent and resourceful. Nevertheless, there are elements that simply don't work.

The main issues that detract from the romance are 1) the long separation during which time, Sara spends a great deal of time coming to the obvious realization that her fiancé is more attached to his mother than to her, and 2) the fact that while they are apart, Derek has sex with a prostitute who resembles Sara in appearance. Neither of these is conducive to a 5 star read.

The minor suspense plot goes a long way to spicing things up and there are some exciting and intense moments.

All in all, an enjoyable read despite the drawbacks and fans of Lisa Kleypas will definitely love it.

Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Why did I put off reading this book for soo long! After reading the first book in this series I was hesitant to read Derek's story. I shouldn't have been. This book was great! Sara and Derek had wonderful chemistry, and I enjoyed the story right up till the last word. ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |
While doing research for her next novel, Sarah sees a man being assaulted in an alley and comes to his aid. It turn out it's Derek Craven, the notorious owner of Craven's Gambling Club. She shot one of attackers and he feels obligated to help her by allowing her to do research at his club. A lot of bickering, tension, and miscommunication before he realizes that he can't live without her. I'm really enjoying Lisa Kleypas' books. ( )
  Kathy89 | Feb 3, 2018 |
My fave Lisa Kleypas of all time!

Derek Craven forever!

RATED ALL THE DAMN STARS IN THE SKY!

YOU HAVE ANY? I'M TAKING THOSE FOR THIS BOOK!
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |
When I read "Then Came You", I liked Derek Craven's character and sense of humor, although sometimes he was very harsh to Lily and a cruel bastard, but I still think he has some goodness left in him, I mean anyone who was raised like him would be harsh and cruel but he cared for Lily in his own way.
I simply loved the book, of course everything changed in the middle around chapter 7 and 9, but I loved how much Derek longed for Sara. I was sad to see the gambling club fall down by fire... It seemed like an hotel sometimes, with the services and chef's food! I laughed when people insisted Mathilda is real and asked about her life!
I loved when Derek said to Sara: "I want to hold you like this until your skin melt into mine. I want you in my bed, the smell of you on my sheets, your hair spread across my pillow. I want to take your innocence. God! I want to ruin you for anyone else."
and: "Sometimes... I'm so deep inside you I can feel your womb... and I'm still not close enough. I want to share every breath... every beat of your heart. Sometimes... I want to punish you a little... For making me want you until I ache with it. For the way I wake at night just to watch you sleeping... I want you more each time I'm with you. It's a fever that never leaves me. I can't be alone without wondering where you are, when I can have you again..." ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
To Karen Churchill Bodager with love—
I'm glad I have such good taste in Mends!
The lone figure of a woman stood in the shadows.

In the shelter of her country cottage, Sara Fielding puts pen to paper to create dreams. But curiosity has enticed the prim, well-bred gentlewoman out of her safe haven—and into Derek Craven's dangerous world.

A handsome, tough and tenacious Cockney, he rose from poverty to become lord of London's most exclusive gambling house—a struggle that has left Derek Craven fabulously wealthy, but hardened and suspicious. And now duty demands he allow Sara Fielding into his world—with her impeccable manners and her infuriating innocence. But here, in a perilous shadow-realm of ever-shifting fortunes, even a proper "mouse" can be transformed into a breathtaking enchantress—and a world-weary gambler can be shaken to his cynical core by the power of passion... and the promise of love.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038077352X, Mass Market Paperback)

She stood at danger′s threshold--

then love beckoned her in.

In the shelter of her country cottage, Sara Feilding puts pen to paper to create dreams. But curiosity has enticed the prim, well-bred gentlewoman out of her safe haven--and into Derek Craven′s dangerous world.

A handsome, tough and tenacious Cockney, he rose from, poverty to become lord of London′s most exclusive gambling house--a struggle that has left Derek Craven fabulously wealthy, but hardened and suspicious. And now duty demands he allow Sara Fielding into his world--with her impeccable manners and her infuriating innocence. But here, in a perilous shadow-realm of ever-shifting fortunes, even a proper "mouse" can be transformed into a breathtaking enchantress--and a world-weary gambler can be shaken to his cynical core by the power of passion. . .and the promise of love.

"A Real Joy . . . Hard To Put Down"

-- Kathleen E. Woodiwiss

"Wonderfully Refreshing . . . I Enjoyed It From Beggining To End."

-- Johanna Lindsey

"Lisa Kleypas is more than just a fine writer of rich and passionate historical romances, she′s a genuine phenomenon."

-- Heart to Heart

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:48 -0400)

When fate brings lovely and sheltered country lass Sara Fielding and tough, Cockney-bred millionaire Derek Craven together, an unlikely and unstoppable passion brings them ever closer to love.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,474,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible