Scandal in Spring by Lisa Kleypas

Scandal in Spring

by Lisa Kleypas

1,324375,875 (3.78)1 / 58
Recently added bykathleen.morrow, Rena37, private library, Aneris, Lys_chan_83, heather135

English (36)  Czech (1)  All (37)
If it weren't for Lillian, I might like this book a bit more. There was simply too much of her and her infallibility. I think Daisy deserved a more pronounced role in her own story. Somehow other characters got in the way.

The good thing is I loved both Daisy and Matthew. I loved how they act together and apart. Neither is boring or overbearing like some characters tend to become in their own stories. Matthew's secret and problem are serious enough, but you are not beaten over your head with it. When it comes out, that part of story doesn't drag at all.
It hasn't bothered me that the reactions to his secret and the resolution are a bit unrealistic. Scandal in Spring is a romantic story before anything else. 'With your fondness for stories with dramatic twists and characters with mysterious pasts, it’s a foregone conclusion you wouldn’t have a quiet, ordinary courtship.' And it definitely isn't quiet and ordinary. Devil in Winter is still my favourite book in this series. ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
After three seasons in London attempting to snare a husband from amongst the peerage, Daisy Bowman is dismayed when her father lays down an ultimatum: find a husband by the end of May or marry her father's protege, Matthew Swift. Daisy views Matthew with utter abhorrence as he is far too similar to her domineering and uncaring father to ever be suitable as a husband, particularly for a woman as bookish and romantic as Daisy. But when Matthew arrives in England, Daisy discovers that her memories of the young man she knew in New York do no justice to the man he's become. As Daisy finds herself considering the impossible, actually following her father's wishes, her greatest obstacle might be Matthew's own resistance to the match.

Enjoyable historical romance, as I've come to expect from Kleypas. I was particularly fond of Daisy as a naive bookworm is a heroine after my own heart. Her romance with Matthew is sweet and satisfying from start to finish. Also, as the last full novel in the Wallflowers series, we get several sizable interludes with the other wallflowers and their spouses, giving everyone particularly satisfactory happy endings. ( )
  MickyFine | Feb 4, 2017 |
Scandal in Spring
4 Stars

Synopsis
After three years of failing to snare a husband, Daisy Bowman's father issues an ultimatum - find a husband by the end of the season or marry his protege, Matthew Swift. Daisy sees Matthew as cold and calculating, however, she soon learns that there is more to him than meets the eye when his slightest touch lights a fire in her blood. In fact, Matthew may just turn out to be better than her wildest dreams.

Review
Definitely the most hilarious book in the series. From the fish-tied goose to the bloodthirsty game of lawn bowls, the book had me gasping for breath.

Even though it is not as intense as Lillian and Marcus's or as sensual as Evie and Sebastian's, Matthew and Daisy's romance is sweet and endearing. Daisy is a delightful mix of whimsy and practicality. She is charming, witty and in possession of a huge heart. Matthew is the most romantic of the four heroes the button - need I say more and his mysterious past only adds to his appeal.

The nature of Matthew's dark secret is compelling but it should have been revealed earlier as the keeping secrets theme is not a preferred one for me. Moreover, the pacing here is off and the crisis feels contrived and the climax rushed.

The other Wallflowers all put in an appearance but it is Lillian and Marcus who continue to shine. There are moments where I could have throttled Lillian for her attitude towards Matthew but she comes through for him in the end so all is forgiven.

The entire series is simply amazing and I recommend it without hesitation. It is great that there is one more installment to look forward to - how will Rafe Bowman deal with the matchmaking wallflowers? ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
This book was kinda dull & boring, it shouldn't have been written at all! The Wallflowers should have been 3 girls & the series should have ended with Devil in Winter because the 3rd book was amazing & it should have ended like that!

Now, it's Daisy's turn (Lillian's sister) to search for a husband before her father arranges her marriage with Matthew Swift. Daisy suddenly falls in love with Matthew but she has to face his past that's been hunting him forever.

The characters in this book are all the same except for Mr. Swift. That made the story dull. Although it gave me a laugh now & then, I didn't laugh as much as I did when I read the 3 previous books. It felt as if this book was written just like that to finish the series. in the first 3 books, we were able to discover the real characteristics of Annabelle, Lillian & Evie, but in this book it felt that Daisy was shallow, there was nothing special about her at all!

Read it to finish the series, but you won't enjoy it as much as the first 3 books! ( )
  books.paper.mania | Sep 13, 2016 |
This review is for all 5 books in the series, because while I think they're harmless one by one, taken as a whole, they support rape culture.

Let me say that there is no outright rape in these books, but they are all steeped in the trope of a beautiful virgin (in this case one in each book) who only needs a forceful man to awaken her sexual urges.

While I love the idea of the four wallflowers working together to secure husbands, and the descriptions of the gorgeous clothing, the characters themselves are fairly stereotypical--the shy girl, the brash American girl, the dreamer and the down-on-her-luck girl from the gentry. The men are equally two-dimensional--the rake, the industrialist, the stuffy lord and the irritating American.

All of the female characters, the four wallflowers and a secretary in the last book, are preyed on by the men, who reduce them to quivering masses of sexual desire by forcing kisses and gropes (and in one case, oral sex) on them. It's always because the women are so, so desirable that the men cannot withstand their urges.

It's been almost 200 years since The Lustful Turk was written, but apparently we're still believing this trope, glorifying it and in all too many cases, acting on it.

We need to stop. ( )
  Jammies | Jun 12, 2016 |
"I have made a decision about Daisy's future," Thomas Bowman announced to his wife and daughter.
"No," Lillian said frankly. "But much as I hate to admit it, that puts us in a minority. Swift is liked by everyone in the northern hemisphere, including Westcliff and his friends, my friends, the servants, the neighbors - - children, animals and the higher order of plants," Lillian finished sardonically. "If root vegetables could talk, I've no doubt they would say they like him, too."

After spending three London seasons searching for a husband, Daisy Bowman's father has told her in no uncertain terms that she must find a husband. Now. And if Daisy can't snare an appropriate suitor, she will marry the man he chooses—the ruthless and aloof Matthew Swift.

Daisy is horrified. A Bowman never admits defeat, and she decides to do whatever it takes to marry someone . . . anyone . . . other than Matthew. But she doesn't count on Matthew's unexpected charm . . . or the blazing sensuality that soon flares beyond both their control. And Daisy discovers that the man she has always hated just might turn out to be the man of her dreams.

But right at the moment of sweet surrender, a scandalous secret is uncovered . . . one that could destroy both Matthew and a love more passionate and irresistible than Daisy's wildest fantasies.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060562536, Mass Market Paperback)

"I want you to do everything you've ever imagined doing with me…" With those scandalous words, Daisy Bowman, the sole "Wallflower" yet to be married, seals her fate with the last man she ever expected to tempt her.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:09 -0400)

After spending three seasons searching for a husband in Victorian London, Daisy Bowman, the sole "Wallflower" yet to be married, finally meets her match.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,418,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible