Scandal in Spring (The Wallflowers, Book 4)…

Scandal in Spring (The Wallflowers, Book 4) (edition 2006)

by Lisa Kleypas

1,463417,772 (3.8)1 / 69
Member:aapike
Title:Scandal in Spring (The Wallflowers, Book 4)
Authors:Lisa Kleypas
Info:Avon (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:romance

Scandal in Spring by Lisa Kleypas

English (38)  Czech (1)  All languages (39)
Summary:
Daisy Bowman, the last of the wallflowers left to marry, has had three season and has yet to find a man to marry. So her father insists that she has two months to find a husband, or she will be marrying Matthew Swift. From what she remembers of Matthew Swift is a cold man so much like her father, who is driven and intelligent, but when she meets him again she is stung by how much he has changed over the years. No longer a “bag of cabbage” he is handsome, strong features and mesmerizing. So with the help of her brother n’ law and Evie’s husband, they have selected some gentlemen eligible for her, to come to Westcliff’s home in the country. Matthew Swift exudes charm and sensual beauty that has every woman tittering in his favor. However Daisy is insistent on trying to ignore Matthew, but as much as she tries, she finds herself feeling more alive around Matthew than any other man. His kisses waken up her senses, and she aches not only for his sensual touch but she also aches to know the man as well. But Matthew is hiding something, something that haunts him and could destroy everything….

The Hero
Matthew Swift, is driven and has always been since he started working for Thomas Bowman. He is a determined man, intelligent, full of charm, inventive, and in love with Daisy Bowman. Matthew has loved her for years, savoring each moment he sees her, but knowing he can never have her due to mistakes made in his past that haunt him every day of his life. But being near Daisy stirs him up inside and he starts to question if he could ever give her up.

The Heroine
Daisy Bowman is the younger sister of Lillian Bowman. After Lillian made a advantageous match, and her mother hopes that she can do the same. Daisy craves peace, gardens and a room full of books. She seeks a man who is similar to her wants and needs, someone that she can love. Daisy is a woman who is tender hearted, carefree, and a “free spirit”. She has never felt love from her father, and she starts to doubt that she truly is a “parasite” as her father claims. But as she starts to get to know Matthew as a man, she sees something in him that could make him become her future.

My Thoughts:
Scandal In The Spring is the fourth in the Wallflower Series. This is Daisy’s story. I find that whenever I read any books from this author, I just fall in love with the story and the characters, and the same is true for Scandal In Spring. It was such a delight to read this one, and it has been some time since I have. I loved both of these characters, as far as hero’s go Matthew Swift is one of my favorites. He is handsome, driven, passionate, and throughout the story we see Matthew come to life. The interaction between Matthew and Daisy is witty, fun, and at times sensual; and entertaining to the reader. As far as love stories go this is a golden treasure, and one that will charm any reading with a romantic heart. Scandal In Spring is definitely at the top of best romances!!

My Favorite Quote:
Matthew knew it was wrong the instant their lips met. Because nothing would ever equal the perfection of Daisy in his arms. ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 17, 2019 |
I was hooked on HR for a very long time - this is my top book
  Savehouse | Sep 24, 2018 |
great book ( )
  cupcakeclark | Sep 1, 2018 |
I liked this well enough. I like the hero-with-a-secret thing. But there wasn't quite enough of the angst I love so well to give it as many stars as others in this series. (3 stars) ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
Scandal in Spring
4 Stars

Synopsis
After three years of failing to snare a husband, Daisy Bowman's father issues an ultimatum - find a husband by the end of the season or marry his protege, Matthew Swift. Daisy sees Matthew as cold and calculating, however, she soon learns that there is more to him than meets the eye when his slightest touch lights a fire in her blood. In fact, Matthew may just turn out to be better than her wildest dreams.

Review
Definitely the most hilarious book in the series. From the fish-tied goose to the bloodthirsty game of lawn bowls, the book had me gasping for breath.

Even though it is not as intense as Lillian and Marcus's or as sensual as Evie and Sebastian's, Matthew and Daisy's romance is sweet and endearing. Daisy is a delightful mix of whimsy and practicality. She is charming, witty and in possession of a huge heart. Matthew is the most romantic of the four heroes the button - need I say more and his mysterious past only adds to his appeal.

The nature of Matthew's dark secret is compelling but it should have been revealed earlier as the keeping secrets theme is not a preferred one for me. Moreover, the pacing here is off and the crisis feels contrived and the climax rushed.

The other Wallflowers all put in an appearance but it is Lillian and Marcus who continue to shine. There are moments where I could have throttled Lillian for her attitude towards Matthew but she comes through for him in the end so all is forgiven.

The entire series is simply amazing and I recommend it without hesitation. It is great that there is one more installment to look forward to - how will Rafe Bowman deal with the matchmaking wallflowers? ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |

Lisa Kleypasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Griffin, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I have made a decision about Daisy's future," Thomas Bowman announced to his wife and daughter.
"No," Lillian said frankly. "But much as I hate to admit it, that puts us in a minority. Swift is liked by everyone in the northern hemisphere, including Westcliff and his friends, my friends, the servants, the neighbors - - children, animals and the higher order of plants," Lillian finished sardonically. "If root vegetables could talk, I've no doubt they would say they like him, too."

After spending three London seasons searching for a husband, Daisy Bowman's father has told her in no uncertain terms that she must find a husband. Now. And if Daisy can't snare an appropriate suitor, she will marry the man he chooses—the ruthless and aloof Matthew Swift.

Daisy is horrified. A Bowman never admits defeat, and she decides to do whatever it takes to marry someone . . . anyone . . . other than Matthew. But she doesn't count on Matthew's unexpected charm . . . or the blazing sensuality that soon flares beyond both their control. And Daisy discovers that the man she has always hated just might turn out to be the man of her dreams.

But right at the moment of sweet surrender, a scandalous secret is uncovered . . . one that could destroy both Matthew and a love more passionate and irresistible than Daisy's wildest fantasies.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060562536, Mass Market Paperback)

"I want you to do everything you've ever imagined doing with me…" With those scandalous words, Daisy Bowman, the sole "Wallflower" yet to be married, seals her fate with the last man she ever expected to tempt her.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:09 -0400)

After spending three seasons searching for a husband in Victorian London, Daisy Bowman, the sole "Wallflower" yet to be married, finally meets her match.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,481,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible