Kali's Song by Jeanette Winter

Kali's Song

by Jeanette Winter

So I am enough of a non-fiction wonk that I would have appreciated an author's note about the history of string intsruments, and/or what we know about (or how much we don't know about) the origins of art in culture. Or even just a reminder that this is a made-up story.

Read with Frederick. ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |

Read with Frederick. ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
Sweet story, beautiful illustrations. Z read this aloud this morning to me - he liked it "medium" he said. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 31, 2013 |
I have to admit, this would not have been a top pick for me after the first read. I had actually picked it up from the library on another blogger’s recommendation. I was intending to read it for myself, not as a pick for Preschooler. But she found it in the library bag, and insisted (have you ever tried trying to sway a 3yo once a decision has been made??)

So we read it. She loved it, I was “eh”. But because she loved it, we read it again, and again, and again. And more we read it, the more I began to enjoy and appreciate this story of a young hunter, his special gift, and his appreciation for the world around him. ( )
  novalibrarymom | Mar 31, 2013 |

novalibrarymom | Mar 30, 2013 |

Renowned picture book author and illustrator Jeanette Winter brings us the enchanting story of a boy named Kali who lived thousands and thousands of years ago. Kali must learn to hunt, like the rest of the men in his tribe. But when Kali plucks the string on his bow, he forgets about shooting arrows, and makes music long into the night. Even the stars come close to listen.

This lovely story, celebrating the uniqueness in all of us, the beauty of the natural world, and showing the power of music and art over violence, will be cherished by children everywhere.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:51 -0400)

Thousands and thousands of years ago, a young boy gets his first hunting bow and learns to shoot, but he prefers to use the bow to make music.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,389,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible