Abundance: The Future Is Better Than You…

Abundance: The Future Is Better Than You Think (edition 2014)

by Peter H. Diamandis (Author)

Member:Natalienovak
Title:Abundance: The Future Is Better Than You Think
Authors:Peter H. Diamandis (Author)
Info:Free Press (2014), Edition: Reprint, 432 pages

Abundance: The Future Is Better Than You Think by Peter H. Diamandis

I have almost been persuaded by the author that the future is promising. But it's an illusion to believe that the advances of technologies alone would be able to save humanity. You cannot save the poor people by just giving them plenty of fresh water and by selling them cheap phones. These ideas are just rich people's wishful thinking. To have a better life for those poor people, the whole structure of their society has to be changed. ( )
  zhliu0124 | Aug 7, 2017 |
I read the new book Bold before reading this one but thought based on how much I enjoyed that one that this one would be just as enjoyable. Unfortunately I was as enthusiastic about this one. It is not a bad book, but it wasn't quit what I was expecting which was just something a little bit more informative and with a little more depth. They do a great job of describing just how great the world and future could be, including emerging technologies, but don't present any compelling arguments on how to get there. ( )
  Tom_Westlake | Jan 31, 2017 |
Humanity is facing challenges, but then it always has. And it has always overcome them. More than that, we (collectively over time) have improved the quality of human existence. We now live longer, eat better, and have more free time than ever before. This book presents a brief look at some emerging technologies that may help us past foreseeable potholes on our road to the future...robotics, computer intelligence, information networks, biotechnology, and others. All are advancing at exponential rates. They show great promise to allow us to feed, clothe, and provide energy for our growing worldwide population, and to create a higher quality of life for everyone. It's a hopeful picture.

Maybe too hopeful.

The technological advancements are presented as being almost certain, largely through the efforts of visionary philanthropists and entrepreneurs who can and are willing to provide funding. But challenges remain. There is no certainty that they'll be overcome. Admittedly, it seems likely, but it's far from certain. It's not really the advancement of technology that I think may be our greatest stumbling block. For example, solar energy CAN provide far more energy than we'll ever need, but will we exploit it? That's not a technological challenge. It's one of culture, politics, and economics. These fall outside the scope of this book and may be, I think WILL be, more difficult to overcome than the scientific and technological issues.

I can recommend this book to anyone interested in an overview of emerging technology and its potential. I enjoyed it.

DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
As impossible as it may seem, Utopia is within a couple of generations of reaching all of humankind! It’s hard to believe, isn´t it? With all the problems in the world that seem insurmountable, with all those lunatics out there poised to wreak havoc, the special interests, the rooted prejudices, and so on… Yet, we can’t deny that most of us in the First World enjoy a level of prosperity or, at least, basic comforts that were unthinkable throughout human history up to as recently as 100 years ago. The premise of this book is that one of the main engines of this progress has been technology, and that that prosperity will continue to spread as the exponential advancement of technology continues in sync with its ever diving costs. Energy alternatives, water supply, food scarcity, diseases, overpopulation and so much more, are challenges at the brink of being conquered, and with them the evils they spur.

If you want some good news for a change, read this book! ( )
  VictoriaCaro | Dec 8, 2014 |
Less of a deep analysis of the issues holding the world back and more of a rallying call to arms. The central thrust is that with the right attitude and technology, we can solve the biggest issues facing humanity. Bracing and a welcome corrective for the countless books pointing out the difficulties facing the world. ( )
  xander_paul | Apr 21, 2014 |
In the forthcoming book Abundance: The Future Is Better Than You Think, Peter H. Diamandis (chairman and CEO of the X-Prize Foundation and cofounder and chairman of Singularity University) and award-winning science writer Steven Kotler give us an extensive tour of the latest in exponentially growing technologies and explore how four emerging forces — exponential technologies, the DIY innovator, the Technophilanthropist, and the Rising Billion — are conspiring to solve humanity’s biggest problems.

“This brilliant must-read book provides the key to the coming era of abundance, replacing eons of scarcity,” says Ray Kurzweil, inventor and author of The Singularity is Near.

Matt Ridley, author of the Rational Optimist, agrees: “This vital book … gives us a blinding glimpse of the innovations that are coming our way. …” Stewart Brand, editor of the Whole Earth Catalog, describes the book as “comprehensively sampl[ing] … the profound innovations going on to improve the human condition.”

The authors make a compelling case for optimism. We are introduced to dozens of innovators and industry captains making tremendous strides in healthcare, agriculture, energy, and other fields: Dean Kamen’s “Slingshot,” a technology that can transform polluted water, salt water, or even raw sewage into incredibly high-quality drinking water for less than one cent a liter; the Qualcomm Tricorder X-Prize, which promises a low-cost, handheld medical device that allows anyone to diagnose themself better than a board-certified doctor; and Dickson Despommier’s “vertical farms,” which replace traditional agriculture with a system that uses 80 percent less land, 90 percent less water, and 100 percent fewer pesticides, with zero transportation costs.

As a bonus, the authors provide a detailed reference section filled with 90 graphs, charts, and graphics offering much of the source data underpinning their conclusions.
added by geertwissink | editBlog, Ray Kurzweil (Jan 20, 2012)

Peter H. Diamandisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kotler, Stevenmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Since the dawn of humanity, a privileged few have lived in stark contrast to the hardscrabble majority. Conventional wisdom says this gap cannot be closed. But it is closing—fast.In Abundance, space entrepreneur turned innovation pioneer Peter H. Diamandis and award-winning science writer Steven Kotler document how progress in artificial intelligence, robotics, infinite computing, ubiquitous broadband networks, digital manufacturing, nanomaterials, synthetic biology, and many other exponentially growing technologies will enable us to make greater gains in the next two decades than we have in the previous two hundred years. We will soon have the ability to meet and exceed the basic needs of every man, woman, and child on the planet. Abundance for all is within our grasp.

Breaking down human needs by category—water, food, energy,  healthcare, education, freedom—Diamandis and Kotler introduce us to dozens (and dozens) of innovators and industry captains making tremendous strides in each area: Dean Kamen’s “Slingshot,” a technology which can transform polluted water, salt water or even raw sewage into incredibly high-quality drinking water for less than one cent a liter; the Qualcomm Tricorder X PRIZE which promises a low-cost, handheld medical device that allows anyone to diagnose themselves better than a board certified doctor; Dickson Despommier’s “vertical farms,” which replaces traditional agriculture with a system that uses 80 percent less land, 90 percent less water, 100 percent fewer pesticides and zero transportation costs.

As a bonus, the authors provide a detailed reference section filled with ninety graphs, charts and graphics offering much of the source data underpinning their conclusions.In this thrilling antidote to today’s dark pessimism, the authors rely on exhaustive research and extensive interviews with top scientists, innovators, and captains of industry to explore how four emerging forces—exponential technologies, the DIY innovator, the Technophilanthropist, and the Rising Billion—are conspiring to solve our biggest problems. Diamandis and Kotler examine the stunning impact these forces are having on categories of critical importance while establishing hard targets for change, laying out a strategic road map for governments, industry, and entrepreneurs, and giving us plenty of reason for optimism.

Providing abundance is humanity’s grandest challenge—this is a book about how we rise to meet it.

The authors document how four forces--exponential technologies, the DIY innovator, the Technophilanthropist, and the Rising Billion--are conspiring to solve our biggest problems. "Abundance" establishes hard targets for change and lays out a strategic roadmap for governments, industry and entrepreneurs, giving us plenty of reason for optimism.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,588,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible