Titch by Pat Hutchins

Titch (1971)

by Pat Hutchins

Series: Titch

This book is so much different from the other two books I've read from him. It isn't as repetitive and doesn't flow as easily. While reading, I felt so bad for the title character. I was just thinking why does he have such less extravagant things then his brother and sister. I ready didn't think the seed he planted was any consolation for everything he was missing out on, but I did love his expression on his face when his doing saw the plant. If I were to guess a message to the story I'd say it's something along the lines of patience. Titch waited all the time and finally had something better than what is brother and sister had. Kids can relate to this so much and that's why I think they'd like this book. ( )
  JasonCam1 | Feb 24, 2018 |
This book talks about three siblings and how they are different but still family.there is a big brother who has all big things a sister who has medium size things and titch who is the youngest and has small things until the end when his plant grows into a huge thing like his brother has.

Ages – 3-5
Source – Amazon ( )
  Soffiee | Nov 29, 2017 |
Sizes and ages are explored in this fun children's book!
Ages 3 and up
Pierce County Public Library
  hsoden | Jun 8, 2016 |
The story shows the different things that each of the three children have. Pete always has the larges, Mary has the medium size toys, and Titch always has the smallest. Titch and his siblings work together to create a flower in a flower pot.
  KaylaMorg11 | Jun 7, 2016 |
Read in The 20th Children's Book Treasury. ?Very short story, with a good lesson - with patience, tiny seeds can grow big... and tiny children will, eventually, too. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689716885, Paperback)

In childhood, being the youngest often means you're the littlest, too. For Titch, it also means getting the smallest bike--a tricycle, actually--while his older brother and sister get the bigger ones. When his siblings receive glorious, wind-dancing kites, Titch gets a dinky little pinwheel. When big brother and sister get to handle grown-up-sized tools, Titch gets to hold the nail. Author Pat Hutchins, winner of the Kate Greenaway Medal for The Wind Blew, shows great compassion for the curse of the youngest, especially in her drawings of Titch's wrinkly, down-turned mouth and his desperate little eyes. In fact, her no-frills illustrations are the perfect reflection of Titch's inescapable plight as the lowest rung on the ladder. In the end, Hutchins presents an opportunity for Titch to be more important and symbolically bigger than either of his siblings. The last born in any family will especially appreciate the littlest one's rising moment of glory--literally--that comes in the satisfying end. (Baby to preschool) --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:23 -0400)

Titch feels left out because he is so much smaller than his brother and sister until he gets a little seed that grows bigger than anything they have.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,177,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible