Where We Belong by Emily Giffin

Where We Belong (edition 2012)

by Emily Giffin

Member:Wise1112
Title:Where We Belong
Authors:Emily Giffin
Info:St. Martin's Press (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages

Where We Belong by Emily Giffin

Recently added byprivate library, rena75, robisod, Sharon_Chaffin, chelseamay12

I picked this up as a quick summer read, and that is what it was. It wasn't very inspiring and bothered me for a few reasons. I didn't think the characters were well developed and somewhat stereotypical, especially Marian and her wealthy family. I could have pulled that family with all of their issues out of many books that feature rich families. Kirby's family were fine, but again, stereotypically middle class. Still, the book kept me engaged, and I found myself wanting to pick it up just to see how it would all end. So, for a good summer read that doesn't require a lot of thought, it fit the bill. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Jul 12, 2018 |
I read this for book club and liked it better than I thought it would. I'd give it about 3.5 stars. There was a lot of depth to the characters and I found myself really drawn into the story. ( )
  Thebrownbookloft | Jun 29, 2018 |
What made me continue reading the book is not because of the story or how will it end. But because I like how the author made the two vital characters in the book to narrate and the fast pacing of the story. This is my first time to read a book wrote by Emily Giffin. Because of this book, I might try to check out her other works too. I'll try to write a comparison the next time i finished reading her other books. ( )
  fugou | Aug 14, 2017 |
***3.5 Stars***

This isn't my favorite of Giffin's work, but it also isn't my least favorite. (That honor belongs to Heart of the Matter.) I like the basic idea of this story and even liked the alternating viewpoints. What I didn't like is related to the characters themselves. I didn't particularly like Marian or Kirby. That wouldn't have been so bad if some of the supporting characters were developed a tad more. The potential to like some of the other people in their lives was there but I can't say whether or not I truly liked them because they seemed so flat to me. I will say though that I was thrilled to see a cameo by Claudia from Baby Proof! I LOVE when authors manage to weave in and connect their other works.

Overall, it was a little hard for me to get through this book, but it's not the worst. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
It was an ok read. Predictable, but good mindless entertainment. ( )
  bravewoman | Feb 3, 2017 |
For Nancy LeCroy Mohler, my BFF
I know what they say about secrets.

The author of five blockbuster novels, Emily Giffin, delivers an unforgettable story of two women, the families that make them who they are, and the longing, loyalty and love that binds them together

Marian Caldwell is a thirty-six year old television producer, living her dream in New York City. With a fulfilling career and satisfying relationship, she has convinced everyone, including herself, that her life is just as she wants it to be. But one night, Marian answers a knock on the door . . . only to find Kirby Rose, an eighteen-year-old girl with a key to a past that Marian thought she had sealed off forever. From the moment Kirby appears on her doorstep, Marian’s perfectly constructed world—and her very identity—will be shaken to its core, resurrecting ghosts and memories of a passionate young love affair that threaten everything that has come to define her.

For the precocious and determined Kirby, the encounter will spur a process of discovery that ushers her across the threshold of adulthood, forcing her to re-evaluate her family and future in a wise and bittersweet light. As the two women embark on a journey to find the one thing missing in their lives, each will come to recognize that where we belong is often where we least expect to find ourselves—a place that we may have willed ourselves to forget, but that the heart remembers forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:42 -0400)

Her carefully constructed life thrown into turmoil by the appearance of an eighteen-year-old girl with ties to her past, New York television producer Marian Caldwell is swept up in a maelstrom of personal discovery that changes both of their perceptions about family.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,629,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible