Where We Belong by Emily Giffin

Where We Belong (edition 2012)

by Emily Giffin

Member:lisa1121mass
Title:Where We Belong
Authors:Emily Giffin
Info:St. Martin's Press (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:***

Where We Belong by Emily Giffin

Where We Belong is the first Emily Giffin book I read, and it was wonderful! Imagine being a successful, happy, single career woman and opening your door to the daughter you gave up for adoption 18 years ago. That’s what happens to Marian when Kirby arrives. Told from alternating points of view, this story about the ripple effect of making choices is a terrific read. Book clubs, chose Where We Belong, and you won’t be disappointed. ( )
  JoStARs | Jun 15, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book.

Kirby is adopted and when she turns 18 she gets the name of her birth mom and heads to New York to meet her.
As this relationship starts and grows Kirby is then interested in her birth dad.

This story is told in Chapters by Kirby and her birth mom, Marilyn.

I think it is well done and we learn a lot about how adoptions can be a positive experience.

Most books that I have read make the birth mother always regret giving the child to a family that was ready when they were not. I give Emily huge kudos for that. As a person that has this story in my life it was good to see it in a positive light. ( )
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
Where We Belong Reason why I will never read anything by this author: http://coreyann.me/?p=141
And the reason why I think it is acceptable for me to blacklist books because of an author's personal behavior is this: If you are not intelligent enough to refrain from engaging in arguments with those who write negative reviews (or to refrain from encouraging your friends, family, fans, agent, etc from doing so) then I am absolutely certain that you do not have the wit to pen something I could enjoy. I would hope that any author I read and respect would have the common sense to respect the consumers of their products, and at the very least, have enough business savvy not to tarnish their own brand by making themselves look foolish in a public venue. If your readers can't tell a personal attack from a negative review without you or one of your people arguing it in the comments section or spouting off about it on Facebook, Twitter, etc, they must then suffer from that same lack of common sense as you do.
  ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |
  ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |
This is my favorite Emily Giffin novel so far! I found these characters much easier to relate to, as I found them to have greater depth than some characters in her earlier novels. The story line was gritty and raw. Just an overall good read. ( )
  MargaretArmour | Dec 28, 2013 |
For Nancy LeCroy Mohler, my BFF
I know what they say about secrets.

The author of five blockbuster novels, Emily Giffin, delivers an unforgettable story of two women, the families that make them who they are, and the longing, loyalty and love that binds them together

Marian Caldwell is a thirty-six year old television producer, living her dream in New York City. With a fulfilling career and satisfying relationship, she has convinced everyone, including herself, that her life is just as she wants it to be. But one night, Marian answers a knock on the door . . . only to find Kirby Rose, an eighteen-year-old girl with a key to a past that Marian thought she had sealed off forever. From the moment Kirby appears on her doorstep, Marian’s perfectly constructed world—and her very identity—will be shaken to its core, resurrecting ghosts and memories of a passionate young love affair that threaten everything that has come to define her.

For the precocious and determined Kirby, the encounter will spur a process of discovery that ushers her across the threshold of adulthood, forcing her to re-evaluate her family and future in a wise and bittersweet light. As the two women embark on a journey to find the one thing missing in their lives, each will come to recognize that where we belong is often where we least expect to find ourselves—a place that we may have willed ourselves to forget, but that the heart remembers forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:34 -0400)

Her carefully constructed life thrown into turmoil by the appearance of an eighteen-year-old girl with ties to her past, New York television producer Marian Caldwell is swept up in a maelstrom of personal discovery that changes both of their perceptions about family.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible