Where We Belong by Emily Giffin

Where We Belong (edition 2012)

by Emily Giffin

Member:kiwifortyniner
Title:Where We Belong
Authors:Emily Giffin
Info:St. Martin's Press (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages

Where We Belong by Emily Giffin

A decent storyline with characters that wanted to come alive but, just slightly fell short. Marian is confronted with a secret that she has had since she was 18. When the secret is out in the open, her life changes. I did like how the book was laid out and told from different characters viewpoints. ( )
  sunnydrk | Sep 8, 2016 |
This book hits home. I absolutely love the storyline. The story of adoption and finding her mother is just like me!
  Carleyxo | Jul 30, 2016 |
I received this book as a Goodreads first read winner. I love Emily Giffin. I've read every one of her books. This is another great book. The chapters go back and forth between Marian and Kirby's point of view. It takes you through them finding each other and how they deal with the birth and adoption. It is really well written and the characters were nicely developed. If I had the time I probably would have read it in one day, I didn't want to put it down. My daughter is 19 and there is a conversation Marian has with her Dad about kids going away when they grow up and even though the parents see them, they really aren't around anymore. Made me cry as I recently put my daughter on an international flight by herself for the first time ever. I recommend this book as it is very well written and very enjoyable. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
This was my first book by Emily Giffin, but will definitely not be my last. A talented author who knows just how to intertwine plot details to rivet the reader, this novel is classic, superbly rendered women's fiction.

Marian is a New York City businesswoman who appears to have it all - she's a TV producer, lives in a penthouse apartment, and dates the handsome head-honcho of her studio, Peter. But she's 36 and still wants more - a husband, children. Not things, from all appearances, on the bucket list for Peter.

There's a secret in her past she feels is sabotaging the fulfillment of her dreams. She's all but put it out of her mind, almost forgotten, but not quite. Until one night, that secret shows up on her doorstep.

Eloquently written, this is a woman's story about real women who deal with the cards life hands them, even when it's not easy.

Frances.S.Brown | Apr 26, 2016 |
Noooo! Here I thought had discovered a great author. A friend on here encouraged me to try some of her books, so I read Something Borrowed and Something Blue, and I loved both books!

Then I picked Love the One you're with which I also gave 4 stars. Heart of The Matter was next. Not my favourite so I gave it 3 stars.
A few weeks ago I read Baby Proof and I did not like that book at all. Such a unrealistic book and it annoyed me how the main character gave up all her values for a guy who let her go so easily.
So I gave that 2 stars.

Well I guess I am on a downhill spiral cause this book is going to get 1 star only.

So far I have read 50% of this book and I am going to call it quits. To be honest, I could not care less what happens with the 2 main characters, they are both so unlikable. Not only that but this is another book where what happens is so unrealistic. Sure adopted girl takes greyhound to find her birth mum. She finds her that same day. Birth mum is gorgeous, smart, rich and has a great job, blablabla.

She is immediately allowed to stay and is treated as a guest.
Birth mum has never told anyone about her secret, but because she is forced by her boyfriend she is telling everyone now. (And I have read a spoiler which makes me glad I have quit)

I think it is fair to give any book you have tried to like but decide to stop reading, 1 star. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
For Nancy LeCroy Mohler, my BFF
I know what they say about secrets.

The author of five blockbuster novels, Emily Giffin, delivers an unforgettable story of two women, the families that make them who they are, and the longing, loyalty and love that binds them together

Marian Caldwell is a thirty-six year old television producer, living her dream in New York City. With a fulfilling career and satisfying relationship, she has convinced everyone, including herself, that her life is just as she wants it to be. But one night, Marian answers a knock on the door . . . only to find Kirby Rose, an eighteen-year-old girl with a key to a past that Marian thought she had sealed off forever. From the moment Kirby appears on her doorstep, Marian’s perfectly constructed world—and her very identity—will be shaken to its core, resurrecting ghosts and memories of a passionate young love affair that threaten everything that has come to define her.

For the precocious and determined Kirby, the encounter will spur a process of discovery that ushers her across the threshold of adulthood, forcing her to re-evaluate her family and future in a wise and bittersweet light. As the two women embark on a journey to find the one thing missing in their lives, each will come to recognize that where we belong is often where we least expect to find ourselves—a place that we may have willed ourselves to forget, but that the heart remembers forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:42 -0400)

Her carefully constructed life thrown into turmoil by the appearance of an eighteen-year-old girl with ties to her past, New York television producer Marian Caldwell is swept up in a maelstrom of personal discovery that changes both of their perceptions about family.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,247,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible