Emily's House (Akasha Chronicles) by…

Emily's House (Akasha Chronicles) (edition 2012)

by Natalie Wright

Member:BellaReadz
Title:Emily's House (Akasha Chronicles)
Authors:Natalie Wright
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 316 pages
Rating:*****

Emily's House (The Akasha Chronicles) by Natalie Wright

"Emily’s House” by Natalie Wright is a fun action/fantasy book that tells of a young girl who has a destiny bigger than she ever knew. With her two friends Jake and Fanny, she goes to Ireland (and then other places!) Where the supernatural and fantastical become ordinary. I thought this was pretty original as far as young adult fantasy novels go. I read them all the time so everything feels sorta familiar at one point or another. But Ms. Wright manages to keep it feeling fresh with storylines that go beyond the ordinary, and take us to another time and place. The only thing I wish is that the name pronunciation guide could have been at the beginning because I never knew how to pronounce them properly in my head as I was reading! But I read this book over 2 nights, and it is easy to read. The editing was very good (I notice things like that) and I thought the ending was sweet and satisfactory, yet I wanted more. Fans of the fantasy genre will love it ( )
  BellaReadz | Nov 18, 2012 |
I have mixed feelings on this book. On one hand the story like is very unique, although the theme may not be, and I appreciated Ms. Wright’s original spin on the hero-quest cycle. Emily and her friends are worthy of our support, and I enjoyed reading about their adventures. My problems lay in the massive amount of backstory that is told to us right off the bat (by another character, no less), that while it is necessary to set the “scene” for the story, it considerably slowed down the pacing to the point where I almost wanted to stop reading. It went on for far too long, in my opinion, and would have better served the reader had it been divulged in smaller chunks as the story unfolded
naturally. However, I am glad I persevered because when the story got moving it really got moving and was really good! The plot is complex, and although the character is only 14, I can see adults liking it as well. ( )
  StacyDecker | Nov 16, 2012 |
I loved “Emily’s House” by Natalie Wright. It is so well-written and engaging I didn’t want to put it down! Right off the bat I liked Emily and wanted to root for her. She’s kinda tough and sort of a tomboy (in my eyes), but not too much so that she’s annoying. Just more like strong (which is awesome). And speaking of strong can we talk about that beautiful cover? I love it! It is perfect for this book, with her looking so beautiful and strong. There were so many interesting legends and lore and myth in this book and I liked the Celtic flavor. I’m happy to see that it is a series because it really seems like there is so much the author can do with all it! I’d definitely want to read the next one and see where Emily’s story goes. ( )
  ClaireBearzz | Nov 14, 2012 |
Lately I’ve tried reading books without reading the descriptions first, just go in knowing the genre (in this case a YA action/fantasy). Sometimes this works out, sometimes it doesn’t. At first I was unclear as to where the story was headed (admittedly, my own fault), as it starts of in the quite ordinary world of 14 year old Emily Adams, and then it takes a most decidedly “supernatural” turn into ancient worlds. I thought the characters were so interesting and loved her journey. I was pleasantly surprised by the complex plot and intricate sub-plots and backstory (there could be a whole book on that alone!) One thing I didn’t really like, however, was how the story changed from being 1st person POV through Emily’s eyes, then would switch out to a 3rd person point of view, then back to Emily. I would have been more comfortable reading had this stayed consistent as it was a tad confusing at times. Other than that I thought this to be a quite enjoyable read that I would recommend to the YA Fantasy crowd. ( )
  Sam_Ryan | Nov 13, 2012 |
I am always leary when I accept a YA fantasy book for review, as I never know if I will be able to get through the book. I had these thoughts with Emily's House but my fears were unwarranted. I enjoyed this book a lot, so much in fact I hope to read the next in the series. What caught my attention was the Celtic mysticism, I love anything with a Celtic/Irish twist. This book was very easy to read and understand. Very fast paced and action packed, good versus evil with some mythology thrown in for good measure. I think this book is great for YA and and any age for that matter. You will love and cheer on the characters as they do battle with the bad guy. ( )
  celticlady53 | Feb 27, 2012 |

Natalie Wright is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,341,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible