The Uninvited Guests by Sadie Jones

The Uninvited Guests (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sadie Jones

Member:vancouverdeb
Title:The Uninvited Guests
Authors:Sadie Jones
Info:Knopf Canada (2012), Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Wishlist

The Uninvited Guests by Sadie Jones (2012)

The Uninvited Guests –Sadie Jones
4 stars

It is 1912 in a crumbling English manor house. The household is engaged in an effort to keep up appearances for Emerald Torrington’s 20th birthday. As the afternoon passes and the evening entertainment progresses, strange things begin to happen.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It fits the set pattern of a traditional drawing room farce and is, as the author clearly intended, very theatrical. Stage directions are not actually written (until the very last word), but they are clearly understood from the text. I loved the shenanigans of Smudge, the youngest daughter, and the desperate efforts of the cook, Mrs. Trieves. The uninvited guests add both comedy and a mildly sinister note to the doomed dinner party. Despite the series of rapidly moving, bizarre events, there is a surprising amount of character development. Superficially shallow, these characters have hidden motivations. There are secrets which explain their paramount need to hold onto their disappearing lifestyle. Even the least likable characters become more human as the careful party preparations unravel.
This book was fun, a perfect relaxing read.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
I loved this book! It was a bit of a twisted tale done in an interesting fashion, similar to an Alfred Hitchcock story. The writing style was superb and the characters were all fascinating. The Uninvited Guests is primarily a historical mystery and Sadie Jones made the characters quite real with her accurate use of language for the time period. ( )
  StephLaymon | Feb 3, 2016 |
Two-and-a-half stars ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |
The year is 1912 and the Torrington-Swift family prepares for eldest daughter Emerald's 20th birthday. A few miles away, a train is derailed and soon a group of survivors appear at the house to seek shelter. These uninvited guests are not all they seem and one in particular is bent on creating chaos and destroying the family's respectability.

This didn't work out the way I expected; overall, I found it more odd than suspenseful. There were some good comments on class, keeping up appearances etc., and I think this could work quite well as a play, but as a book the story didn't really grab me. Liked it, but didnt' love it.
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
It's 1912, and the Torrington family are at their grand old house Sterne, for daughter Emerald's 20th birthday. Once rich, but now on the verge of financial ruin, Emerald's stepfather has gone to try and borrow money to save the property. Meanwhile, Emerald, her thoughtless brother Clovis, their manipulative mother Charlotte and eccentric youngest child Smudge are awaiting the arrival of their guests. But the evening is interrupted by a group of strangers who arrive at Sterne. They have been in a train accident and there is nowhere else for them to go while they await help from the railway company.

With little choice, the Torringtons invite the rag-tag group of victims into the house, but before long events take a strange turn and the family start to wonder if they have invited something more malevolent into their home. Over the course of an evening and a night, secrets are revealed, true colours are shown and everybody learns something about themselves and each other.

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this book. I definitely enjoyed it and it was a fairly quick read for me; however it started out as one thing and then took a different turn. If you asked me to put it into a particular genre, I would struggle - it is described as a dark comedy of manners (and it certainly was funny in parts - the descriptions made me giggle, often). However there was a more sinister undertone, and a definite sense that evil was never too far away from the Sterne house.

I felt that the characters were well described, if not all particularly likeable. My favourite characters were Smudge, and siblings Patience and Ernest. Most of the others featured somewhere on a scale of unpleasant to horrible.

I enjoy books that take place in a single location, and also books that take place in a short span of time, so for me this was ideal. I was never able to predict exactly what was going to happen next, although I did guess the twist at the end- that said, their were clues to the twist throughout the story.

Reviews for this book seem very mixed, and I can see why it would not appeal to people. It's hard to get a hold of, and almost defies description. However, I liked it a lot - certainly enough for me to seek out other work by this author. I would recommend with caution. ( )
1 vote Ruth72 | Jan 20, 2016 |
How to describe The Uninvited Guests? Well, that's part of the fun. Sadie Jones' outstanding new novel starts out by offering mischievous echoes of Downton Abbey and Upstairs Downstairs -- tempered, however, by a somewhat unsentimental vision of a decaying Edwardian England foolishly complacent in its sense of privilege and entitlement. But by the end, we have landed somewhere else: into a surrealistic universe reminiscent of filmmaker Luis Bunuel at his most unsettling. Also, let it be noted, into an eerily convincing ghost story...Further evidence that Sadie Jones is a stunningly original writer. The Uninvited Guests is her best book yet.

Downton Abbey meets The Others, anyone?..The result is a playful and rollicking tale, with writing that crackles with originality and wit. The supernatural element is not truly frightening and never threatens to dominate proceedings; it instead acts as a conduit for the main characters' journeys.

Full marks to them for publishing it in a way that accurately reflects its complexities. All the same, some of Sadie Jones's readers are likely to be a little bewildered....The novel is a ghost story, but disappointingly the ghosts are sad or sinister rather than scary...Stylish, witty and inventive it may be, but The Uninvited Guests is perhaps too much about the writer at play to satisfy Sadie Jones's hungry fans.

The Woman in Black meets Downton Abbey in this happy marriage of ghost story and country house dramaSadie Jones's highly entertaining third novel seems perfectly conceived to appeal to two current popular tastes – our fascination with the Edwardian country house and the revival of the English ghost story. The Uninvited Guests marks a stylistic departure for Jones too – on the surface the tone is lighter and more comic than her two previous novels...ones shows that she can turn her talent for storytelling to a more stylised form with a light and playful touch, and without compromising her sharp insights into the human heart.

Their table was a board to tempt even ghosts
to pass the Styx for more substantial feasts.

Don Juan, Lord Byron
For
Fred, Tabitha, Daisy
with love
Since her marriage to Edward Swift, three years after the sudden death of her first husband Horace Torrington, Charlotte had changed her position at the breakfast table in order to accomodate her new husband's needs: specifically, aiding him in the spreading of toast and cutting of meat, owing to his having suffered the loss of his left arm at the age of twenty-three in an unfortunate encounter with the narrow wheels of a speeding gig, out of which he had fallen on the driveway of his then home in County Wicklow.

A party for Emerald Torrington's twentieth birthday is being prepared when an accident takes place and uninvited guests seek shelter at the falling apart manor.

One late spring evening in 1912, in the kitchens at Sterne, preparations begin for an elegant supper party in honor of Emerald Torrington's twentieth birthday. But only a few miles away, a dreadful accident propels a crowd of mysterious and not altogether savory survivors to seek shelter at the ramshackle manor—and the household is thrown into confusion and mischief.

The Uninvited Guests is the bewitching new novel from the critically acclaimed Sadie Jones. The prizewinning author triumphs in this frightening yet delicious drama of dark surprises—where social codes are uprooted and desire daringly trumps propriety—and all is alight with Edwardian wit and opulence.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:05 -0400)

"One late spring evening in 1912, in the kitchens at Sterne, preparations begin for an elegant supper party in honor of Emerald Torrington's twentieth birthday. But only a few miles away, a dreadful accident propels a crowd of mysterious and not altogether savory survivors to seek shelter at the ramshackle manor-and the household is thrown into confusion and mischief. The cook toils over mock turtle soup and a chocolate cake covered with green sugar roses, which the hungry band of visitors is not invited to taste. But nothing, it seems, will go according to plan. As the passengers wearily search for rest, the house undergoes a strange transformation. One of their number (who is most definitely not a gentleman) makes it his business to join the birthday revels. Evening turns to stormy night, and a most unpleasant parlor game threatens to blow respectability to smithereens: Smudge Torrington, the wayward youngest daughter of the house, decides that this is the perfect moment for her Great Undertaking."--Dust jacket.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,957,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible