The Skinny Rules: The Simple, Nonnegotiable…

The Skinny Rules: The Simple, Nonnegotiable Principles for Getting to Thin (2012)

by Bob Harper

Other authors: Greg Critser

I enjoyed this book, partly because it was written pretty closely to how Bob talks on "The Biggest Loser," and it worked for this book. I liked the Skinny Rules for the most part. One I'm definitely going to try (that I'm not doing already) is drinking a glass of water before each meal. ( )
  dukefan86 | Feb 23, 2013 |
Bob Harper, from The Biggest Loser, points out some very good things in his diet and his recipes. Yes, a sticking point with some of the recipes, as another reviewer stated, is that he says to avoid sweetners, but then agave nectar is in some of the recipes. I like that at least one of the recipes included liquid amino acids (I've been a fan for 10 years of that gluten-free soy sauce alternative.) My biggest problem is that like many other diets, this one includes nuts! I am allergic (we're talking about anaphylaxis)to tree nuts as well as peanuts, sesame and sunflower seeds. I am also allergic to cheese (Mr. Harper recommends some cheese). This is the problem with a lot of diets. None of them really tell one what to do when allergic to some major items! Otherwise, this book has some very good suggestions. ( )
  saffron12 | Sep 26, 2012 |
Review first published on my blog: http://memoriesfrombooks.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-skinny-rules.html

The Skinny Rules as the name implies is a diet book. A diet book by a big name celebrity of the diet industry. Bob Harper of The Biggest Loser. The book presents a set of twenty rules to change eating habits and lead to a healthier lifestyle. The rest of the book is a set of menus and recipes to support the eating rules.

My reaction to the book is based partially on my reaction to the rules presented. Some are basic common sense - water, vegetables. portion size. Those you can find across any such book. Some I don't agree with. For example, the idea of a splurge meal to me promotes a diet mentality rather than a lifestyle change.

My reaction to the book is also based on what is not in the book. The book provides these rules but not much guidance on how to implement them. Also, the rules focus on food and do not address physical activity which to me is an equally important part of this journey.

Finally, I did find some inconsistencies in the book. For example, one rule says to avoid sweeteners. Yet, recipes in the book call for agave nectar, which is a sweetener.

So, overall, a set of rules is a straightforward approach. I like some of the rules as they are common sense. My advice would be to take what you find of value, question the science of what seems not based on common sense, and most of all, take responsibility for your own health lifestyle. The rules can help you along the way, but only if you make the change. ( )
1 vote njmom3 | Aug 21, 2012 |
This book works. I have lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks using the methods. I am someone who thought she would never lose weight, ever. It isn't that difficult. It helped me make a lifestyle change. The rules are reasonable and he gives you one splurge meal a week. I can live with that. I am living with it. Much of this information can be gotten other places, but here it is all collected into one location and Harper makes a good case for following the rules. I've tried different ways of losing weight, and none worked beyond a few months. These rules initiate lifestyle changes that lead to a different way of eating and relating to food. I have a way to go, but I feel confident that I'll be able to stick with this and lose more weight. The great thing about it is he wants us to eat! And to eat food that I personally am already eating. There are a few "give up" rules, so it's not all easy to do. Still, for me, this is working. ( )
1 vote brickhorse | Jul 24, 2012 |

Bob Harperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Critser, Gregsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

THE LAST DIET BOOK YOU’LL EVER NEED

With so much conflicting weight-loss advice out there to confuse your efforts, it’s no wonder you haven’t been successful losing weight and keeping it off. But with Bob Harper, superstar trainer and co-host of NBC’s hit show The Biggest Loser as your personal authority and coach, you can and will finally shed the pounds—whether you want to lose two or two hundred!

Distilling Bob’s vast knowledge of nutrition, weight-loss strategy, and human nature down to twenty simple, nonnegotiable principles, The Skinny Rules will help you step away from a reliance on processed foods and the need for so much sweet and salt and step into a newly thin lifestyle. And Bob’s methods couldn’t be more straightforward.

Taking the guesswork out of implementing the Skinny Rules, Bob offers a month’s worth of menu plans and more than 90 delicious, rule-abiding recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks to keep you cooking and eating skinny for life. You’ll be happily astounded to see the variety and volume of the tasty food on your plate! He also includes terrific tips for what to stock in your fridge and what to prepare every weekend in order to set yourself up for success during your too-busy-to-cook weekdays.

A virtual GPS to your weight-loss goals, The Skinny Rules takes the mystery out of the process, offering the fastest route to your skinny destination.

LOSING WEIGHT IS NOW AS SIMPLE AS 1-2-3 . . . AND 3-15-18-20 TOO!

Rule #3: Eat protein at every meal, making some kind of fish your go-to protein as often as you can. Take your weight and divide it by two—that’s more or less how much protein you should be eating in grams every day.

Rule #15: Eat at least ten meals a week at home (and cook them yourself). Restaurant portions are usually 40 to 50 percent bigger than what you’d serve at home—the more you eat out, the more you overeat. Set yourself up for success by preparing my turkey meatballs, hummus, and roasted vegetables on the weekend so that you will have go-to staples and no excuses!

Rule #18: Go to bed slightly hungry. Denied fuel for more than five hours, your body will start burning its own fat and sugar. Make a point not to eat after dinner and you’ll be burning fat while you’re sleeping.

Rule #20: Enjoy a splurge meal once a week. Unlike episodic bingeing, splurge meals are an ingredient in your diet. When you plan something, you are in control.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:34 -0400)

Bob Harper, superstar trainer and co-host of NBC's hit show "The Biggest Lose," distills his vast knowledge of nutrition, weight-loss strategy, and human nature down to twenty simple, nonnegotiable principles and offers a month's worth of menu plans and more than 90 delicious, rule-abiding recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks to keep you cooking and eating skinny for life.… (more)

225 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,542,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible