The Taken: Celestial Blues by Vicki…

The Taken: Celestial Blues (edition 2012)

by Vicki Pettersson

1901962,147 (3.56)2
Title:The Taken: Celestial Blues
Authors:Vicki Pettersson (Author)
Info:Harper Voyager (2012), Kindle Edition, 432 pages
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, library, read, december, 2012, mm, angels, death, rockabilly, murder, mystery, reporter

The Taken by Vicki Pettersson

*slight spoilers ahead*

I have to say straight away that Celestial Blues is a very different series from what Miss Pettersson wrote previously, as in it's not an urban fantasy. I was expecting one and to my (pleasant) surprise discovered that The Taken was a sort of a murder mystery with slight paranormal elements and distinct noir-ish undertones.

To give it a better definition I would describe it as a love child of Carole Nelson Douglas and Chris F. Holm.

Kit Craig is a intrepid small scale journalist whose family runs a local newspaper in Vegas. She is an interesting character, a rockabilly who loves living in the style of 1950s, a brave and bright woman with very distinctive views on what's right and wrong. Her and her friend Nicole are investigating a hidden prostitution ring on the outskirts of the city when Nicole is viciously murdered in the motel where she is meeting her informant.

Here comes Griff Shaw, who was murdered in the 50s and who since then has been promoted into a Centurion whose task is to take souls of the dead and help them to cross to the other side. He takes pity on Nicole and allows her to pretty herself before they go as the soul is mortified to spend afterlife the way she looked when she died, and while he waits Nicole manages to leave a message for Kit that starts a horrible chain of reactions beginning with Griff being thrown back into the mortal coil as a punishment and Kit marked for death.

Griff who never let go of his wife's death in the first place refuses to let another beautiful young woman die and instead of not interfering aids Kit in her investigation which uncovers more and more awful, gruesome details.

This was an excellent thriller, slightly dry, intense and dark. Kit and Griff are a great team and it's a pleasure to see their interactions as their views come from very different eras. Their attraction to each other might not feel romantic on the surface and lacks grand declarations of love, but it feels sincere for the emotional state they are in and the personal demons they are battling. I see strong companionship and great detective work in the future ;)

The villains in this book are not something to be taken lightly as well. They are chillingly real and truly evil, that's why you feel such a great satisfaction when they're brought to justice.

Overall, a solid, interesting read which I recommend without any reservations. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Griff Shaw is a Centurion, a lower class angel whose job is to take people when they die. He allows Nicole to change clothes after she dies (since you stay in whatever you were wearing at the time of death), and loses his wings because of that. Now he has to find Kit, Nicole's friend, and wait for her to die because Nic endangered Kit and now Griff has to take Kit to the Everlast. I am assuming the Everlast is something like a waiting room for Paradise where those whose lives ended violently come to forget. All he has to do is wait for the killers to come, kill Kit and take her. He couldn't. His superior can appear anywhere, anytime (like talking to Griff through a newborn - that must have been creepy).

Kit's friends are all rockabillies. I am not sure why that was important other than to make them different. I can imagine how they looked to Griff who was killed in 1960.

This book has one of the most disgusting, horrible, vile villains I've read. Whatever fate he got in this book, I am not satisfied.

I would have liked this book more if only it hadn't been preachy at times. Since Griff is an angel, I expected some talk about God and all that, but I wouldn't mind less. Apart from that, this is a pretty good mystery - minus the religious talk. ( )
  Irena. | Nov 3, 2015 |
The approach to angel lore is interesting, but I most enjoyed the interplay of Twitter-era technology and Film Noir-esque personalities and outfits.
  PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |
3 ½ Stars ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
I liked the idea the author presents in the book about angels. What I didn't care for was all the tell and not show on the rockabilly side of the heroine's life. And as much as she talked about the lifestyle other than the dress up I wasn't sure what drove her to aggressively live in that time frame to the point of tracking down old brands of cigarettes to smoke. The villain is really evil and he does almost everything except twirl his mustache since he is so secure that he will never be caught. I'll read the next one since I liked how the book ended with the angel side but the heroine side was a bit weak. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0062064649, Paperback)

Amazon Exclusive: Kim Harrison Reviews The Taken

Kim Harrison is the author of The Hollows series.

Kit is her own woman, her confidence and belief in justice driving her to dig where she doesn't belong. Getting her best friend murdered while investigating Las Vegas's men of power swiftly unearths a city-wide conspiracy that preys on the vulnerable and innocent, one propagated by an ugly circle of zealous adherence to traditions and enforced by selective blindness and lethal corrections.

Drawn into bringing the horrific abuse to light, Kit puts her own life into the equation. But she's supposed to be dead already, according to Grif, a jaded angel whose job it was to get Kit's friend to the Everlast. Grif's own scars made by failing to protect his wife from a savage murder he was blamed for keep him tied to his Everlast job, unable to move on, unable to look back.

Shaken by Kit's dual strong and fragile nature, Grif begins breaking rules, setting up larger and larger waves through the Everlast as he finds every moment he spends with Kit brings him closer to the truth he has been avoiding the past seventy years--and he slowly realizes that even an angel can learn to love again.

Boldly exploring topics skirting today's headlines, Pettersson deftly brings together a cast of unique yet recognizable characters within her hometown of Las Vegas. Fast paced and having logical surprises, The Taken is an exceptional look into a vision of what happens when the hereafter merges with the here-and-now, the mechanics of the world building as unique and satisfying as the tale itself as the genres of mystery, crime scene drama, and more than enough romance to keep the heart pumping blend seamlessly into an enthralling read that kept me glued to the pages until the final, satisfying end. I can't wait for the sequel. --Kim Harrison

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:26 -0400)

"Griffin Shaw used to be a PI, but that was back when gumshoes hoofed the streets-- and he was still alive. Fifty years later, he's an angel, but that doesn't make him a saint. One small mistake has altered fate, and now he's been dumped back onto the mortal mudflat to collect another soul: Katherine "Kit" Craig, a journalist whose latest investigation is about to get her clipped. Bucking heavenly orders, Grif refuses to let the sable-haired siren come to harm. Besides, protecting her offers a chance to solve the mystery of his own unsolved murder-- and dole out some overdue payback for the death of his beloved wife, Evie. Joining forces, Kit and Grif's search for answers leads beyond the blinding lights of the Strip into the dark heart of an evil conspiracy. But a ruthless killer determined to destroy them isn't Grif's biggest threat. His growing attraction to Kit could cost them both their lives, along with the answer to the haunting question of his long afterlife: Who killed Griffin Shaw?"-- Provided by publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,919,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible