The Taken: Celestial Blues by Vicki…

The Taken: Celestial Blues (edition 2012)

by Vicki Pettersson

Member:wyvernfriend
Title:The Taken: Celestial Blues
Authors:Vicki Pettersson (Author)
Info:Harper Voyager (2012), Kindle Edition, 432 pages
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, library, read, december, 2012, mm, angels, death, rockabilly, murder, mystery, reporter

The Taken by Vicki Pettersson

3 ½ Stars ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Griff Shaw is a Centurion, a lower class angel whose job is to take people when they die. He allows Nicole to change clothes after she dies (since you stay in whatever you were wearing at the time of death), and loses his wings because of that. Now he has to find Kit, Nicole's friend, and wait for her to die because Nic endangered Kit and now Griff has to take Kit to the Everlast. I am assuming the Everlast is something like a waiting room for Paradise where those whose lives ended violently come to forget. All he has to do is wait for the killers to come, kill Kit and take her. He couldn't. His superior can appear anywhere, anytime (like talking to Griff through a newborn - that must have been creepy).

Kit's friends are all rockabillies. I am not sure why that was important other than to make them different. I can imagine how they looked to Griff who was killed in 1960.

This book has one of the most disgusting, horrible, vile villains I've read. Whatever fate he got in this book, I am not satisfied.

I would have liked this book more if only it hadn't been preachy at times. Since Griff is an angel, I expected some talk about God and all that, but I wouldn't mind less. Apart from that, this is a pretty good mystery - minus the religious talk. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
I liked the idea the author presents in the book about angels. What I didn't care for was all the tell and not show on the rockabilly side of the heroine's life. And as much as she talked about the lifestyle other than the dress up I wasn't sure what drove her to aggressively live in that time frame to the point of tracking down old brands of cigarettes to smoke. The villain is really evil and he does almost everything except twirl his mustache since he is so secure that he will never be caught. I'll read the next one since I liked how the book ended with the angel side but the heroine side was a bit weak. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
Great Book can't wait for the next one. ( )
  Coyoteofthenine | Mar 14, 2014 |
This book has a much bigger streak of romance in it than the Zodiac books did. It also has no superheroes, just to warn you. What it does have is an angel bad-boy, a modern-day rockabilly heroine, and a serious murder-mystery (or rather: two murder-mysteries) to solve.

If you’re expecting Pettersson’s writing to get lighter with this new series, then you are seriously mistaken. This author has a (much deserved) reputation for being absolutely vicious to her characters, and while this opening doesn’t quite have the brutal gut-punch that The Scent of Shadows did, it still isn’t a quaint walk in the park. In fact, this book should probably carry a trigger warning for rape/sexual assault.

The main relationship is a little abrupt, but the mystery and danger is gritty and real. You can’t really compare Kit with Joanna (the protagonist from Zodiac), because they’re so totally different, but I admit to not falling in love with Kit in the same way. Joanna was dark, tough, and strong. Kit is strong, too, but also sunshine-y cheerful, stubborn, and… Well. I don’t know if she’s too stupid to live, but she doesn’t seem to be the smartest person in the world. For a journalist, this proves a weakness that can (and does) put her into danger.

On second thought, it’s not that Kit’s stupid. She seems quite intelligent, actually. It’s just that she’s way too trusting. She married a jerk that didn’t appreciate her. Then she lets her best friend walk into the seedy hotel room where she’s murdered. As if that weren’t enough, she doesn’t run screaming when she finds Griff, claiming to be an angel, in her house.

Yep, I would be totally credulous if I found a strange man in my bedroom at night who then advised me he was a supernatural being after a short conversation. Sure, he saved her life — but that would only get you so far with me. (I’d probably just call the cops rather than getting out the frying pan and beating him to within an inch of his life, for instance.)

If you don’t take this too seriously, you should do just fine. There’s an odd contrast between the campy-ness of Kit’s rockabilly lifestyle and her interactions with Griff against the deadly serious conspiracy of the ending. I find that contrast intriguing rather than off-putting, but some readers may not be so forgiving.

All in all, this story is like that kind of chocolate you can get with the hot pepper in it. (Here’s an example.) It’s a sweet romance tale, with the bite of murder and conspiracy. It’s a gritty noir murder-mystery with some great witty dialogue. This story is trying to be a lot of different things, and while it doesn’t quite succeed in being everything for everyone, it’s a compelling start to a story that I plan on being in line for through the end. ( )
  kiaras | Oct 22, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0062064649, Paperback)

Amazon Exclusive: Kim Harrison Reviews The Taken

Kim Harrison is the author of The Hollows series.

Kit is her own woman, her confidence and belief in justice driving her to dig where she doesn't belong. Getting her best friend murdered while investigating Las Vegas's men of power swiftly unearths a city-wide conspiracy that preys on the vulnerable and innocent, one propagated by an ugly circle of zealous adherence to traditions and enforced by selective blindness and lethal corrections.

Drawn into bringing the horrific abuse to light, Kit puts her own life into the equation. But she's supposed to be dead already, according to Grif, a jaded angel whose job it was to get Kit's friend to the Everlast. Grif's own scars made by failing to protect his wife from a savage murder he was blamed for keep him tied to his Everlast job, unable to move on, unable to look back.

Shaken by Kit's dual strong and fragile nature, Grif begins breaking rules, setting up larger and larger waves through the Everlast as he finds every moment he spends with Kit brings him closer to the truth he has been avoiding the past seventy years--and he slowly realizes that even an angel can learn to love again.

Boldly exploring topics skirting today's headlines, Pettersson deftly brings together a cast of unique yet recognizable characters within her hometown of Las Vegas. Fast paced and having logical surprises, The Taken is an exceptional look into a vision of what happens when the hereafter merges with the here-and-now, the mechanics of the world building as unique and satisfying as the tale itself as the genres of mystery, crime scene drama, and more than enough romance to keep the heart pumping blend seamlessly into an enthralling read that kept me glued to the pages until the final, satisfying end. I can't wait for the sequel. --Kim Harrison

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:26 -0400)

"Griffin Shaw used to be a PI, but that was back when gumshoes hoofed the streets-- and he was still alive. Fifty years later, he's an angel, but that doesn't make him a saint. One small mistake has altered fate, and now he's been dumped back onto the mortal mudflat to collect another soul: Katherine "Kit" Craig, a journalist whose latest investigation is about to get her clipped. Bucking heavenly orders, Grif refuses to let the sable-haired siren come to harm. Besides, protecting her offers a chance to solve the mystery of his own unsolved murder-- and dole out some overdue payback for the death of his beloved wife, Evie. Joining forces, Kit and Grif's search for answers leads beyond the blinding lights of the Strip into the dark heart of an evil conspiracy. But a ruthless killer determined to destroy them isn't Grif's biggest threat. His growing attraction to Kit could cost them both their lives, along with the answer to the haunting question of his long afterlife: Who killed Griffin Shaw?"-- Provided by publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,431,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible