Syrian Folktales by Muna Imady

Syrian Folktales (2011)

by Muna Imady

Other authors: Sammy Zarka (Designer)

English (43)  French (1)  All languages (44)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Part folklore, part recipe book - Muna Imady relays stories told to her by her family, as well as traditional Syrian recipes. I liked the stories - mostly similar to western fairy tales, but with different views on witches and imps/devils/dybbuks - but found the inclusion of recipes to be a bit strange and out of place in a book of folklore. There were also editorial problems with the text that could have been avoided by a little proofreading. All in all, a nice little book of tales. ( )
  DoskoiPanda | Apr 28, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Nice collection will make fine addition to any library on folktales - sits right beside my other "country collections"
  jerm | Nov 27, 2012 |
Un livre merveilleux et délicieux à la fois! Française d'origine algérienne, je m’intéresse à la culture syrienne sans avoir pu un jour mettre les pieds dans ce pays de jasmin mais ce livre m'a en quelques sortes transportée.. Une lecture fluide, accessible, et agréable qui permet à notre imagination de "voir" ce que Muna Imady tient tellement à nous décrire et détailler.. Avis aux amateurs d'humour et de cuisine, ce livre fera votre bonheur! Et je n'oublis pas de citer ces nombreux hadiths qui ponctuent souvent un chapitre, un paragraphe, une recette ou juste une idée: captivants et réjouissants.. ( )
3 vote bourouba | Oct 6, 2012 |
Join the book's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/SyrianFolktales?ref=ts&fref=ts ( )
2 vote | sammy_zarka | Oct 5, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A bit of an odd duck. The folktales themselves are short, and I enjoyed reading them, but when combined with the recipes and introductions they make it a book that seems a bit unsure of its goal. (Its theme is fine, but its organization and goal feels a bit scattershot.) ( )
1 vote g026r | Oct 2, 2012 |

Muna Imadyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zarka, SammyDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To my mother and father with all my love.
Kan ya ma kan are magic words that carry me back into my Tete's little red bedroom forty years ago.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Muna Imady's book Syrian Folk Tales was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,102,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible