Tom-All-Alone's by Lynn Shepherd

Authors:Lynn Shepherd
Info:Corsair (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:British, fiction, crime, read 2012, C21

Tom-All-Alone's by Lynn Shepherd

English (43)  French (1)  All languages (44)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed this book, but then I'm a fan of Wilkie Collins. I thought Shepherd did a nice job conveying atmosphere without burying the reader in extraneous details. Like most of the fiction one reads nowadays, it isn't great literature, but it's interesting and it kept me reading. I don't remember thinking a single time that I was sorry I'd started the book or doubted that I'd finish it. I give top marks for anything that holds my interest to that degree, whatever the reason. If you like atmosphere and a good mystery, you'd probably enjoy this one. ( )
  BasilBlue | Jul 25, 2014 |
According to her Huffington Post aritcle here Dolores Umbridge under her pseudonym Lynn Shepherd has tried to discourage J.K. Rowling from continuing to venture into adult fiction.

She has also made her feelings known about the adult Harry Potter fandom... This was their response:
  a.happy.booker | Mar 14, 2014 |
Book Description
Publication Date: May 1, 2012
Lynn Shepherd’s first acclaimed novel of historical suspense, Murder at Mansfield Park, brilliantly reimagined the time of Jane Austen. Now, in this spellbinding new triumph, she introduces an unforgettable duo of detectives into the gaslit world of Dickens.

London, 1850. Charles Maddox had been an up-and-coming officer for the Metropolitan police until a charge of insubordination abruptly ended his career. Now he works alone, struggling to eke out a living by tracking down criminals. Whenever he needs it, he has the help of his great-uncle Maddox, a legendary “thief taker,” a detective as brilliant and intuitive as they come.

On Charles’s latest case, he’ll need all the assistance he can get.

To his shock, Charles has been approached by Edward Tulkinghorn, the shadowy and feared attorney, who offers him a handsome price to do some sleuthing for a client. Powerful financier Sir Julius Cremorne has been receiving threatening letters, and Tulkinghorn wants Charles to—discreetly—find and stop whoever is responsible.

But what starts as a simple, open-and-shut case swiftly escalates into something bigger and much darker. As he cascades toward a collision with an unspeakable truth, Charles can only be aided so far by Maddox. The old man shows signs of forgetfulness and anger, symptoms of an age-related ailment that has yet to be named.

Intricately plotted and intellectually ambitious, The Solitary House is an ingenious novel that does more than spin an enthralling tale: it plumbs the mysteries of the human mind. ( )
  camtb | Oct 24, 2013 |
This was very slow to get going but about a third of the way in it picked up, and after that I couldn't put it down.
I've read Bleak House several times and several of Wilkie Collins's novels, but this really made me rethink what I thought I knew...and now I'm going to have to re-read Bleak House and Woman in White, just to see where Lynn Shepherd got her ideas. ( )
  mlfhlibrarian | Sep 26, 2013 |
This historical murder mystery was directly inspired by Dickens' 'Bleak House'. In fact, if you have not read that classic -- or at least watched the recent PBS Masterpiece adaptation on television -- you are really missing a great deal of the fun because in-jokes and literary allusions abound here. Lynn Shepherd's conceit is that her narrative takes place dovetailed alongside that of Dickens -- we meet some of the same characters, following hints that connect to that other plot, which is supposed to be happening at the same time -- but our main character is of course one Charles Maddox, a Victorian detective, recently departed from the police force, who begins by taking one small case and ends up investigating multiple connected murders. One of those murders is a death pulled directly from Dickens, so the whole package ends up feeling like one has peeked "behind the scenes" of the great man's work, with a book that holds its own cleverness reasonably well. The danger, of course, is that the Shepherd's book could easily come up feeling like a poor copy, but there is enough diversion and invention here that the reader will be kept entertained at least. There are moments where one sees the effort to force the connections, resulting in a few contrivances that may distract some readers, and Shepherd's language choices take some getting used to, but overall this literary-themed mystery is enjoyable enough that I am looking forward to reading the sequel. ( )
2 vote beserene | Sep 17, 2013 |

Lynn Shepherdprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cunningham, CarolineDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daniels, TimCover photographsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Klynstra, LauraCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Was inspired by

On Charles’s latest case, he’ll need all the assistance he can get.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:17 -0400)

Summoned to the offices of Victorian London's most powerful and dangerous solicitors, disgraced police officer turned independent detective Charles Maddox turns to his famous but aging investigator uncle to identify who has been sending threatening letters to a client.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Solitary House by Lynn Shepherd was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible