The Lilac House: A Novel by Anita Nair

The Lilac House: A Novel

by Anita Nair

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
For the most part, I enjoyed this book. It tells the story of Meera, whose marriage is falling apart, and Jak, who is determined to uncover the mysterious circumstances behind his teenage daughter's devastating accident. The characters felt very real and nuanced; it was the story that sometimes worked for me and sometimes did not. Overall, though, The Lilac House is a worthwhile read. ( )
  erelsi183 | Jan 20, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have to admit that this book was appealing to me. However, the writting style in the book was very hard to follow. I stopped and started reading it numerous times before finally finishing it. ( )
  schmapp | Oct 9, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I did like the Lilac House but I found the writing style hard to follow which interfered with t he story. I want to change my review slightly. I read this again, and I was so touched by both the story and the social issues it raises. It's a wonderful book! I recommend it to you if you have not read it. Such a sweet and beautiful story.I love the way Nair ties in the Greek mythology and the physics regarding weather. That was so unique! I look forward to reading her other books and any others to come. I have recommended this book to several friends, and now I'm strongly recommending it to you. ( )
  angelswing | Aug 11, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Lilac House did not impress me. The writing style was complex which made it difficult to enjoy the story. I was not a fan of the main character, Meera from the first few pages. I found myself rereading sentences and slowly losing interest. I did skim the last several chapters of this book. I really wanted to like this one but could not wait for it to be over. ( )
  MsGemini | Jul 17, 2012 |
O, what land is the Land of Dreams? What are its mountains, and what are its streams?
-William Blake
To the memory of Paul Marsh
Why is this happening to her? All this grace, such joy, all of life heeding her bidding, this perfect September day…
In those hard years after her father’s death, she learnt to worship at the altar of enough. That was all she ever hoped for.
How can you cease to be a parent even if your child is determined to shrug off the mantle of being a child?
This thing called forgiveness. Of how it unfurls into life. Perhaps we start learning to forgive only when our sins come back to visit us. It was only when Smriti became a sulky, fractious, recalcitrant fifteen-year-old that Jak began to understand the torment he had subjected his mother to.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031260677X, Paperback)

Meera is happily submerged in the role of corporate wife and cookbook writer. Then, one day, her husband fails to come home. Overnight, Meera, disoriented and emotionally fragile, becomes responsible not just for her two children, but also her mother, grandmother and the running of Lilac House, their rambling old family home in Bangalore.

A few streets away, Professor J.A. Krishnamurthy or Jak, cyclone studies expert, has recently returned from Florida, to care for his nineteen-year-old daughter, the victim of a tragic accident. What happened on her holiday in a small beachside village? The police will not help, Smriti’s friends have vanished, and a wall of silence and fear surrounds the incident. But Jak cannot rest until he gets to the truth.

Meera and of Jak's paths intertwine as they uncover the truth about the secrets of their pasts and the promise of the future. The Lilac House is a sweeping story of redemption, forgiveness and second chances.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:29 -0400)

"Meera, always gracious Meera, is happily submerged in the role of corporate wife and cookbook writer. Then, one day, her husband fails to come home. Overnight, Meera, disoriented, emotionally fragile Meera, becomes responsible not just for her two children, but also her mother, grandmother and the running of Lilac House, their rambling old family home in Bangalore. A few streets away, Professor J.A. Krishnamurthy or Jak, cyclone studies expert, survivor of one marriage and several other encounters, has recently returned from Florida, to care for his nineteen-year-old daughter, the victim of a tragic accident. What happened on her holiday in a small Indian beachside village? The police will not help, Smriti's friends have vanished, and a wall of silence and fear surrounds the incident. But Jak cannot rest until he gets to the truth. THE LILAC HOUSE tells how Meera and of Jak's paths cross and how they are uniquely able to help each other uncover the truth about the secrets of their pasts and the promise of the future. THE LILAC HOUSE is a moving story of redemption, forgiveness and second chances"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Lilac House by Anita Nair was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,150,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible