Seeing Symmetry by Loreen Leedy

Seeing Symmetry (edition 2013)

by Loreen Leedy (Author)

Member:SigPubLib
Title:Seeing Symmetry
Authors:Loreen Leedy (Author)
Info:Holiday House (2013), Edition: Reprint, 32 pages

Seeing Symmetry by Loreen Leedy

This book provides lots of different real world examples of items that have symmetry. Its easy to read and had very attracting colors to keep students interested in this book. It even uses words as a object of symmetry which was very interesting. It also provides definitions and a activity that can be done in a classroom or at home. ( )
  rferia | Sep 10, 2018 |
The author, Loreen Leedy, starts the book with pictures of bugs, dinosaurs, and snowflakes to ensure the reader understands the meaning of symmetry. The reader will see the various pictures and realize that all pictures show similarity or exact correspondence among different things. It is an interesting book for the students of 5th and 6th grade too. Loreen Leedy directly connects the pictures with symmetry to make the reader comprehend that the kinds of correct or pleasing proportions of the picture's parts. ( )
  rpal1234 | Sep 9, 2018 |
Symmetry is everywhere! It’s in our faces, shirts, beds, letters and so much more. The book goes on an on when comes to examples of symmetry, some objects are even ones you may not have heard of. While learning about symmetry you will also learn about patterns, order, measuring, transformations and other math concepts. Not only did I enjoy looking at the art work but I also liked the fact that the scaffolding of different concepts were involved! ( )
  AdaezeaU | Apr 26, 2018 |
I think this book is very good at educating children in different and interesting way. It gives you literally everything you will ever need to know about symmetry. It does it in a way so you know exactly what it is describing by giving any ample amount of examples from multiple different things in the world. There is almost no way a person could tell me that they don't understand what symmetry is after reading this book. ( )
  JasonCam1 | Apr 22, 2018 |
Summary: This book is filled with fun symmetrical pictures and informs the readers all about symmetry. This book list things that are symmetrical in everyday life.
Personal Reaction:
I love the picture and wording in the book. I also love that as a future teacher I can look at the end of the book for activities to help teach my students symmetry.
Classroom Extension Ideas:
After reading this book to my students I would give each student a blank piece of paper and ask them to blob a few spots of different colored paint on it. I would then have the students fold the paper in half and open it back up to view their new symmetrical paper.
Another idea would be to give each student a half print picture and ask them to draw the other half.
  ToriMackey | Apr 20, 2017 |

This book is aligned with the Common Core State Standards for fourth-grade mathematics in geometry: (4.G.3).

Once you start looking, you can find symmetry all around you. Symmetry is when one shape looks the same if you flip, slide, or turn it. It's in words and even letters. It's in both nature and man-made things. In fact, art, design, decoration, and architecture are full of it. This clear and concise book explains different types of symmetry and shows you how to make your own symmetrical masterpieces. Notes and glossary are included.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:42 -0400)

An assortment of dozens of diverse and colorful examples from quilts to kites to cupcakes invites the reader to discover both line and rotational symmetry.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,834,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible