The Vicious Deep by Zoraida Córdova

The Vicious Deep

by Zoraida Córdova

This is the first book in The Vicious Deep trilogy. I read this book out loud to my 10 year old son; we thought it was a middle grade book based on the description and cover. Let me be completely clear...this book is definitely intended for older YA readers; there is a lot of swearing, description of sex acts, and a ton of objectification of women. It was a poorly written book that lacked in engaging characters, story, and world-building.

The idea behind the book is interesting but the writing is poorly done. The dialogue is awkward sounding, there were a lot of typos throughout the book, and sentences were hard to read and didn't flow well. Many times it was hard to tell which character was talking and things were generally hard to follow.

Not a ton actually happens in this book. The majority of the book is dedicated to our hero Tristan talking about how hot various women are and how bad he wants to see them with their clothes off. Then there is a lot of time spent on how beautiful all the mermaid people are and how bad the high school boys want to see the mermaid girls with their clothes off. There is a ton of high school level drama as well. I really wish there had been less of this and more of Tristan trying to win the competition to become the next sea king.

Overall there was nothing in this book I liked. The writing was awkward, hard to read, and hard to follow. The story was boring and more focused on people’s appearances than the adventure that could have been happening. I also would strongly recommend for only older YA readers; there is a lot of swearing and “sex” talk in here. ( )
  krau0098 | Nov 18, 2017 |
First in a trilogy about a Brooklyn high school student who turns out to be grandson of the Sea Lord, and must now compete against ruthless opponents for the right to rule. ( )
  lilibrarian | Nov 22, 2016 |
I am curious about this book The Vicious Deep by Zoraida Cordova, and I couldn’t find myself contented without reading this one! This is really an interesting story about a man who was lost and sucked in three days on the sea. And now, he became the heir of the kingdom whom he never expected to exist! This is worth reading for! ( )
  CristinaAllen | Mar 22, 2016 |
This continues to be my all-time favorite mermaid story ever!
Actually, it's my favorite merman, underwater, oracles, kingdom book ever!
There is so much to the story, and the author's writing was/is amazing - giving enough details with a strong lead male and point-of-view and the underwater world building is amazing...

Tristan is your typical teen boy who knows who he is and what he loves - he's captain of the swim team, popular in school and with the girls, haves a wonderful family, best friends and loves his home in Coney Island.
So what happens to the guy who has it all finds out that he's a mermaid? No, no - a merman???
He freaks out!... and then embraces it and just goes with the flow... literally and figuratively.
Oh, and then throw in that the grandfather he never knew nominates him as one of the champions to compete for the throne to be the Sea King - no problem, Tristan takes it all in and cracks a joke about it, because that is Tristan's defense mechanism to take the seriousness out of everything that is happening to him. His attitude his refreshing and realistic - where many people would panic, breakdown and cave into the fear of something so huge happening to them (he has a fishtail!), Tristan took it all in stride and accepted it, because he knew that no matter what he did, he couldn't change the pass and had to face his new future. Tristan, a bit egotistical, but downright loving and loyal, has such a fun attitude and an amusing but brilliant way about looking and dealing with things that he thought were impossible. I really, really enjoyed getting to know Tristan, his old and new friends and family.
Like I mentioned, Tristan is an average teen boy, there are some crude moments and thoughts, crass language and behavior, but the author did it well and did not go overboard - sorry to say, but boys will be boys, even when they're swimming around with a fishtail.

The love story is like no other, it's not the typical storyline where they're all lovey-dovey for each other, it's the love/hate kind where she, Layla, is just as strong-minded and opinionated as Tristan. She never backs down from him, or anyone else. Surprisingly she recovers from the shock of Tristan's news and handles everything pretty well. As well as any human can. I really liked Layla and look forward to seeing how their relationship will develop with everything that is going on, which will be very difficult to keep together.

The story is fast-paced, (which I love and always seem to fall upon), with realistic scenery and characters. All the details to the Sea Kings floating island, Toliss, to the color and texture to Tristan and his merfriends scales and tails, to other creatures living in the sea, and those that have been banished from the sea to live on land - all realistic, beautiful and imaginative. I would love to see this trilogy be turned into a movie in the future - a future that would have all of the technology to truly breathe life into all of this beauty that the author created.

I thoroughly enjoyed the beginning of Tristan's journey as champion.
I hope to see more of this author's writing soon!!! ( )
  thebumblegirl | Jul 2, 2014 |
3.5/5 stars

It’s almost summer time and I know a lot of us readers are looking for some good summer reads. While I think Vicious Deep could have been better, I would still add this to a fun summer reading list. It’s adventurous, original, and Tristan is a hoot. (Yes! A 16 year old male point of view!)

First off, I am thrilled that this book is from a male protagonist. I really wish there were more in the YA field, but that is not the case. Although, I do think it is on the rise now that authors are seeing how well people respond to male POVs. Since I’m already talking about Tristan, I’ll just ahead with my impression of him. Tristan is a pretty typical 16 year old guy. A star athlete on the swim team, a reputation as a “ladies man,” and he’s going through some pretty major changes in life. *Semi-spoiler, but not really, you know what this is about* This big change is Tristan discovering that he is half human, half-merman. As if this weren’t troublesome enough, he is struggling with his feelings for his best friend, Layla.

Layla…is not my favorite character or love interest. She is jealous when Tristan flirts, yet it’s perfectly acceptable for her to flirt. She loves him, then she won’t talk to him. She’s kind of all over the emotional radar. The one thing I do love about her is her loyalty to Tristan, even when she’s angry with him. But she really will do anything for Tristan, including putting her life in danger.

Some other characters of interest are Kurt and Thailia. These siblings are sent by the Sea King to prepare Tristan for entering the merkingom. Kurt is hysterical, not because he’s funny, but because he is so damn serious and doesn’t understand a lot of humanisms. Thailia is a warm ray of sunshine that you can’t help but love. She is innocent, sweet, and her little romance with a human boy is precious.

Now, characters aside, I’m going to split the rest of this review into what I liked and didn’t like. Let’s start with what I liked.

I really liked that this book is about merfolk. I love vampires and werewolves, don’t get me wrong, but there are just so many books about them out there. I was thoroughly refreshed when reading this book. Also, on that note, this book talks about all kinds of creatures, vamps and wolves included, fairies, shape-shifters, and lots of halfbreeds which I believe had a name that I can’t remember.

Also, I really liked where this series is going. In the synopsis, it talks about Tristan being a pawn in a battle. Well, there is certainly already a lot of violence in this book and many battles. These half breed sea creatures keep attacking Tristan and his friends as he is part of the championship of the Sea King.

Here’s what I didn’t like. I really am not liking some of the writing style. I get that the author is trying to make it believable that it is a 16 year old talking, but it just didn’t work for me. Now that is not to say it won’t work for someone else. Also, some of the words and phrases to show that it’s a 16 year old, again didn’t work for me.

And when it comes to this silver-mermaid that is mentioned in the synopsis, we only figure out a little bit about her. I’m assuming that we’re going to see more of her in future books, but if the synopsis is going to mention her, she should have had a bigger role in this particular book. *Semi-spoiler in regards to plot* I personally feel that the synopsis should have mentioned that Tristan is thrust into an age old championship to become the rightful king. But that’s just me.

Overall, this book is good. It is definitely a first of it’s kind for me, the characters are pretty great, the plot is pretty quickly paced, and it is hard to put down this book. Since summer is coming up, I think this would be a great addition to your beach book stash. I know you all have one. ( )
  Ashley_McElyea | Dec 15, 2013 |

After being sucked out to sea in a tidal wave, Tristan Hart returns ashore on Coney Island with no memory of what happened to him--yet he can sense the emotions of others and dreams of a terrifying silver mermaid with razor-sharp teeth.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,864,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible