New York Diaries: 1609 to 2009 (Modern…

New York Diaries: 1609 to 2009 (Modern Library) (edition 2012)

by Teresa Carpenter

Title:New York Diaries: 1609 to 2009 (Modern Library)
Authors:Teresa Carpenter
Info:Modern Library (2012), Edition: First Printing, Hardcover, 512 pages
Collections:Your library, Wishlist
Tags:New York, New York: History

New York Diaries: 1609 to 2009 (Modern Library) by Teresa Carpenter (Editor)

Recently added byKeehng96, private library, lorirorke, Rosieroon, kaylaraeintheway, meggyweg, e-zReader, Jan7Smith

Part of me thinks this curated collection of excerpts -- drawn from the diaries of more than 150 New Yorkers over four centuries: George Washington and other politicians, businessmen, the literati and glitterati and contemporary bloggers -- is a terrific volume of history and “armchair anthropology.”

Another part feels like it’s Facebook, except these 150+ Friends are people fairly unknown to me, and I have 400 years of their updates to catch up on since I last logged in.

Recommended for thoughtful readers willing to take it slowly. The appendix of sources is especially recommended for its short biographies of the diarists and referral to their written works. ( )
  DetailMuse | Aug 18, 2015 |
I read this book on a trip to New York, and the relevancy--I think--made the book more entertaining than it is. There are some really neat and interesting journal entries in here, but a lot of the entries could have been written in any city. ( )
  TJWilson | Mar 29, 2013 |
Very well done and well selected. Among the surprises: how much the American Revolution affected the city, where a good amount of fighting took place. Lots of interesting tidbits by the likes of Dawn Powell, John Sloan, George Templeton Strong and the navigator for the Half Moon. ( )
1 vote annbury | Mar 17, 2012 |
"The light has gone out of my life." -- Theodore Roosevelt, February 14, 1884, the day his wife and his mother both died

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067964332X, Hardcover)

New York is a city like no other. Through the centuries, she’s been embraced and reviled, worshipped and feared, praised and battered—all the while standing at the crossroads of American politics, business, society, and culture. Pulitzer Prize winner and New York Times bestselling author Teresa Carpenter, a lifelong diary enthusiast, scoured the archives of libraries, historical societies, and private estates to assemble here an almost holographic view of this iconic metropolis. Starting on January 1 and traveling day by day through the year, these journal entries are selected from four centuries of writing—from the early 1600s to the present—allowing New York natives and visitors, writers and artists, thinkers and bloggers, to reach across time and share vivid and compelling snapshots of life in the Capital of the World.
“Today I arrived by train in New York City, which I’d never seen before, walked through the grandeur of Grand Central Terminal, stepped outside, got my first look at the city and instantly fell in love with it. Silently, inside myself, I yelled: I should have been born here!”—Edward Robb Ellis, May 22, 1947

“My experience is that a man cannot go anywhere in New York in an hour. The distances are too great—you must have another day to it. If you have got six things to do, you have got to take six days to do them in.”—Mark Twain, February 2, 1867

“A Peregrine falcon just flew past my window.”—Johnny/Quipu Blogspot, February 5, 2003

“I had a lot of dates but decided to stay home and dye my eyebrows.”—Andy Warhol, March 11, 1978

“At ten we have Orders to march up the River for Mount-Washington. Adieu, New-York; perhaps forever!”—Philip Vickers Fithian, September 3, 1776

New York Diaries
reveals intimate, whimsical, profound, sobering, and indelible reflections on such historical moments as President Washington’s first State of the Union address, the death of Abraham Lincoln, the sinking of the Titanic, the end of World War II—even the first incursion of Europeans into the city’s Upper Bay on September 11, 1609, a presage to our country’s greatest catastrophe nearly four hundred years later. Featuring familiar faces and fascinating unknowns, these pages provide a rich mosaic that is uniquely New York.

With excerpts from the writing of Sherwood Anderson • William H. Bell • Albert Camus • Chad the Minx • Noël Coward • Dorothy Day • John Dos Passos • Thomas Edison • Allen Ginsberg • William B. Gould • Keith Haring • Henry Hudson • Anne Morrow Lindbergh • Judith Malina • H. L. Mencken • John Cameron Mitchell • Joyce Carol Oates • Eugene O’Neill • Philippe Petit • Edgar Allan Poe • Theodore Roosevelt • Elizabeth Cady Stanton • William Steinway • Alexis de Tocqueville • Mark Twain • Gertrude Vanderbilt • Andy Warhol • George Washington • Kurt Weill • Walt Whitman • and many others.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:05 -0400)

Writings culled from the archives of libraries, historical societies, and private estates have been assembled to offer a view of the iconic metropolis of New York. Includes excerpts from the writings of Henry Hudson, Mark Twain, Thomas Edison, Andy Warhol, and many others… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,874,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible