The Sleeping Beauty Novels: The Claiming of…

The Sleeping Beauty Novels: The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty, Beauty's… (original 1991; edition 1999)

by A. N. Roquelaure (Pseudonym), Anne Rice

Member:kikireader
Title:The Sleeping Beauty Novels: The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty, Beauty's Punishment, Beauty's Release (Boxed Set)
Authors:A. N. Roquelaure
Other authors:Anne Rice
Info:Plume (1999), Paperback
Tags:own, unread

The Sleeping Beauty Novels by A.N. Roquelaure (Pseudonym) (1991)

No absolutely not my type of book. Three pages in and I was done. No stars.
  booklover3258 | Jan 27, 2018 |
Though not popular among many of her fans, this series pushes the boundaries of BDSM never seen before. It gives a full new take on Sleeping Beauty. This series is beyond your typical bdsm, so if you're looking for light spanking and soms bondage, i would suggest 50 shades of gray. It takes you to a fantasy/fetish reality where sex is power and the only ones who have consequences are the slaves (sex slaves, if i may add). ( )
  sturkow | Nov 5, 2016 |
Wow! I actually enjoyed this series. Although I didn't think i would with all the male on male and female on female sex scenes. Overall, these books were written well. And i love the time period the author chose. I don't agree with some of the reviews as these books representing sadism. Yes, these are some pretty rough sex scenes. But the character in the book names Beauty grew to enjoy and want this punishment. She even fell in love. So i give this series 4 stars. ( )
1 vote HeathernJeff | Jan 25, 2016 |
Talk about well written erotica...wow. This series actually has a good story line well, very explicit & abundant sex scenes, and an erotic-romantic Happily Ever After ending.

If you like B&D, fetishism, along with a plot...this could be the series for you.

The odd thing is, I do not like her Vampire series! ( )
1 vote Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
This review broken up into three parts:

This for the first book in the trilogy: The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty. (Rating: 2 Stars)

Since I have read and owned quite a few Anne Rice books, I wasn't too surprised to find this book series with adult themes written under the fictional name A.N. Roquelaure.

What I wasn't anticipating was how little plot was involved with this book.

Based on the fairy tale "Sleeping Beauty", the main character Beauty is woken up in the beginning of the book by a Prince raping her.

The story continues as she is "claimed" by the Prince as his prize, and he strips he naked, parades her through the village and than takes her back to his castle where he, his mother, his court and all the people who work for the court subject Beauty or other royal slaves in their care to various forms of sadism and masochism.

Unlike other readers who have incorrectly labeled this book BDSM in their tags, BDSM refers to two willing partners. And bluntly put, all the Princes and Princesses who are slaves within this kingdom, walking or crawling naked and being subjected to daily rapes, torture and subjecation are not willing partners. They are slaves who are tortured.

My main concern with this book is that there is no plot to support this treatment of Beauty and her detainees; there is a thin (very thin) storyline to support the numerous and detailed and LONG sex scenes.

I have read Anne Rice books before and am familiar with her erotic scenes, but at least in her other books, the scenes supported the characters and their development.

In this book, Beauty is forced into this behavior and changes because of the sheer quantity of torture and abuse. This does not make a plot, and it doesn't make good writing.

I am disappointed with Anne Rice. I think I understand why she changed her writing focus after reading this drivil which showcases rape of unwilling men and women in a positive light.

Shame on her for putting a reader through this pain.

****************

This for the second book in the trilogy: Beauty's Release. (Rating: 3 Stars)

At the end of Book 1, Beauty impulsively tries to run away from Punishment, which results in her being sent down to "The Village".

The Village sits below the Kingdom, and is filled with people who purchase naked slaves at yearly auction for their use as they see fit for the summer. The Village is set in a Medieval-type time period, and horses and wagons are in use.

Buyers can utilize the slaves for manual labor, brothels, replacement for farm animals and servents, among other uses.

The book is a further in-depth look into Beauty and Tristen's life after they are sold as slaves, their different lifestyles and their erotic adventures.

The reader is meant to be shocked by some of the various methods our writer has employed to distribute obedience and promote eroticism. However, once we are introduced to some methods of sadism in the first novel, many of those same methods are re-used in the second novel (see other reader's review regarding their boredom). This is repeated over and over again, so that the fear of these sadistic methods becomes boring reading after the third introduction of punishment.

On a better note, I enjoyed the thoughts and interactions between the characters, and felt that the characters were more fully developed in the second novel, to finally allow the reader into Beauty and Tristen's thoughts.

I bumped up my rating for this book to three stars. While it could definately have used more character development, it was a vast improvement over the first book: The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty.

****************

This for the third book in the trilogy: Beauty's Punishment. (Rating: 3 Stars)

For the third and last book of the trilogy, we see Beauty and some other slaves stolen from the Kindom and taken to the Sultan's Palace.

The final book further explores the slave concept, focusing on the Punishment of Silence, while introducing the reader to various foreign erotic scenarios.

The character development in this book is also further explored, and the reader gets to read more about the thoughts and desires of the slaves.

Kudos to Anne Rice for bringing up the topic of female circumcision in this book, a topic not well-known in the United States.

Does Beauty make it back across the water to the Queen's Kingdom? Does she make it back home? What happens to her after her time in slavery?

The final book answers these questions and tidies up some of the storylines, leaving the reader as if s/he ate a a half-full meal at the table.

****************

Summary of the three novels:

I feel that Anne Rice simply wrote this trilogoy of books to present erotic scenarios with the shell of an idea about the children's Fairy Tale Sleeping Beauty as the title suggests.

Unfortunately, this sereis did not have the rich character development of her other series which allowed you to explore the characters before, during and after their transformations, nor were any thoughts given to the characters to think about their previous lives. This is not only fantasy, it is ridiculous, as all these characters had previous lives before becoming slaves.

In addition to the problem of character development, I felt Anne Rice really missed a fantastic opportunity to interweave the politics of two diverse Kingdoms within the story to create drama and intrique. I fail to believe that the Queen of the Kingdom would not train some slaves to be secretly reporting on the Sultan and what he is doing across the ocean. Masters of the Queens Kingdom could have traveled and visited, and the reader could have been introduced to practices, food and cultures previously unknown.

By introducing these storylines, this trilogy could have been lifted from a bunch of erotic scenarios to a memorable series worth reading.

****************
Like this review? See other reviews on my blog located at: http://antiquebooks.typepad.com ( )
1 vote vintage_books | Mar 9, 2009 |

Roquelaure, A.N.Pseudonymprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rice, AnneAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For S.T. Roquelaure with love
The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty - The Prince had all his young life know the story of Sleeping Beauty, cursed to sleep for a hundred years, with her parents, the King and Queen, and all of the Court, after prinking her finger on a spindle.
Beauty's Punishment - The morning star was just fading in the violet sky as the huge wooden cart, crowded with naked slaves, moved slowly over the castle drawbridge.
Beauty's Release - Nighttime.

Celebrate the daring gifts of Anne Rice, writing as A. N. Roquelaure, with this beautifully repackaged boxed set of the three erotic novels in her acclaimed Sleeping Beauty trilogy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:45 -0400)

In 1983, Anne Rice, writing as A.N. Roquelaure, began the first installment of the trilogy that is now considered a forerunner of erotic literature.? This trilogy, containing the books The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty, Beauty?s Punishment, and Beauty?s Release is a testament to Anne Rice?s irresistible talent.? Now in a repackaged edition, Rice?s charged eroticism and magical style is back, connecting old and new readers alike.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,762,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible