Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur: A First Book of…

Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur: A First Book of Manners

by Judy Sierra

This would be a good book for character traits. You can teach the different manners and how showing manners made the characters feel.
  AMaffett | Apr 30, 2014 |
  AyannaMagee | Apr 29, 2014 |
A fun way to introduce little ones to essential manners. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Great first manners book. ( )
  melodyreads | Feb 14, 2012 |
Richie's Picks: SUPPOSE YOU MEET A DINOSAUR: A FIRST BOOK OF MANNERS by Judy Sierra and Tim Bowers, ill., Knopf, January 2012, 40p., ISBN: 978-0-375-86720-0

"As prehistoric people began to react with one another, they learned to behave in ways that made life easier and more pleasant. Manners had a practical purpose."
-- from Oracle ThinkQuest, "How Etiquette Began"

"Imagine that the dinosaur
Is standing by a bathroom door.
You have to pee! She's in your way.
Quick! What's the proper thing to say?"

To promote our being kind and considerate to one another so that we habitually treat others in the manner in which we, ourselves, would like to be treated (which really does make life easier and more pleasant), we (hopefully) continue to pass these learned behaviors -- manners -- down from one generation to the next. But given the seemingly contrary lessons to which children are so often exposed these days -- such as violent cartoons and video games, reality TV shows, Fox News, and presidential debates -- I worry about whether most young children are getting necessary and sufficient lessons in behaving in a mannerly fashion.

"Commotion in the produce aisle!
The dinosaur upsets a pile
Of apples, and they roll away.
If you pick them up, what will she say?"

Given my concern about those forces that don't exactly promote good manners, and given that it is far more pleasant to learn about manners in a fun and relaxed fashion (rather than having scowling and/or embarrassed adults hovering over you, providing on-the-spot training), I was so very excited to encounter Judy Sierra's illustrative lessons in basic manners that come about in this tale by way of a young girl's chance meeting of a tyrannosaurus in the grocery store. (A very nice tyrannosaurus with a little pink purse and very nifty pink-framed glasses.)

"Out the door of the grocery store
Tromps the friendly dinosaur.
She's waving as she drives away.
I'm sure you know the words to say."
This will make one of those great audience-shout-out-the-response books for story times.

So, thank you for listening. I hope you have a lovely day.

Richie Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks http://richiespicks.com
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
Moderator http://groups.yahoo.com/group/middle_school_lit/
http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php ( )
  richiespicks | Feb 9, 2012 |

A little girl is shopping in a grocery store when—surprise!—she meets a dinosaur. Don't worry. The dinosaur is very friendly. She's polite, too. In this funny story, told in lilting read-aloud rhyme, the girl has numerous opportunities to be helpful to the clumsy shopping dino and demonstrate when to say "thank you," "excuse me," "I'm sorry," "You're welcome," and other niceties of life. Tim Bowers's whimsical illustrations bring an extra dimension of fun to Judy Sierra's hilarious picture book fantasy. Altogether, Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur is an entertaining and painless way to show preschoolers why basic manners are a good thing to have.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:23 -0400)

Illustrates basic polite behavior that one might need to use while grocery shopping at the same time as a dinosaur.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,294,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible