The Second Empress: A Novel of Napoleon's…

The Second Empress: A Novel of Napoleon's Court (edition 2012)

by Michelle Moran

Member:Maria_de_Madrid
Title:The Second Empress: A Novel of Napoleon's Court
Authors:Michelle Moran
Info:Crown (2012), Hardcover, 320 páginas
Rating:*1/2
Tags:Historical fiction, Napoleon, Marie Louise

The Second Empress by Michelle Moran

This fascinating historical novel examines the last six years of Napoleon's reign in France. The majority of the book is concerned with the life of his second wife Marie-Louis, a Hapsburg princess who is forced to marry the man who destroyed her Father's kingdom. The antics and scandal of Napoleon and his family is at times disgusting, at others simply bizarre. The reader is caught up in the cruelty and pageantry of the French Empire. A story told with attention to historical detail and rife with salacious gossip and violence. An immersive read. ( )
  Juva | Apr 9, 2015 |
After Napoleon learned that Josephine had lied to him for years about her likelihood of bearing him a child, he divorced her and chose the Austrian Bourbon princess, 18-year-old Marie Louise, to bear his heir. This was a crushing blow to Marie Louise, as Napoleon had laid waste to her country, but her father could not refuse the Emperor. This story is told from the viewpoints of Marie Louise, trying to make the best of her marriage to a selfish tyrant instead of the Austrian noble that she loved, from Paul Moreau, the Haitian steward of Napoleon's sister Pauline, and from Pauline, obsessed with power and spiraling into madness. It is fictionalized, but fascinating. It evokes realistically the attitudes and lives of that time in history. ( )
  dolphari | Apr 5, 2015 |
I fell in love with Michelle Moran’s book after reading Nefertiti and since then I’ve been on a Moran’s binge. Sadly, in the last couple of days I read all her books and this was the last one I had left to read. Now that I have finished it I have book hangover, I want more of the magic Moran weaves in her books. She knows how to tell a tale and the way she intermingles real and fictional events is just masterfully done. That was the case with her previous books and that was the case with The Second Empress. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Cairo, July 25, 1798. You will see in the newspapers the result of our battles and the conquest of Egypt, where we found resistance enough to add a leaf to the laurels of this army.

It is 1809, and while the French Revolution is over, the bloodshed in Paris continues under the reign of Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte. Although he has conquered much of Europe and is considered one of the most formidable generals in the world, Napoleon still lacks one important thing -- an heir. Convinced that his faithful wife Josephine will never produce one, he divorces her and begins the search for a new bride. His choice lands on the unwilling Austrian Princess, Marie-Louise, whose great-aunt, Marie Antoinette, suffered a terrible fate at the hands of the French. But once Napoleon makes his intentions known, not even Marie-Louise's father can save her from what is certain to be an unhappy marriage.

After Marie-Louise arrives in France, she is treated to a spectacle beyond anything she could have ever imagined in Austria. From lavish parties that would have made Marie Antoinette blush with shame, to temper tantrums thrown by the Emperor’s spoiled siblings, the French court is wild, juvenile, and extravagant. The worst offender of them all, however, is Pauline Bonaparte, Napoleon’s promiscuous sister who is doing everything she can to encourage Napoleon to divorce his new wife. Her dream is to take the imperial crown for herself--just as the Egyptians did--by marrying her own brother. When Marie-Louise uncovers the relationship that exists between her husband and his sister, she is horrified. Surrounded by duplicitous courtiers and untrustworthy family members, the new Empress finds two unlikely allies at court: Hortense, the beautiful daughter of Joséphine, and Paul, the insightful servant Pauline took away with her after visiting the island of Haiti.

Based entirely on primary resources, The Second Empress recreates Napoleon Bonaparte’s wildly promiscuous court--and the women who tried to control it.

1809. The French Revolution is over, but the bloodshed in Paris may continue under the rule of Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte. Based entirely on primary resources, this recreation details Napoleon Bonaparte's wildly promiscuous court and the women who tried to tame it.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Second Empress: A Novel of Napoleon's Court by Michelle Moran was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,869,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible