Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George

Julie of the Wolves (1972)

by Jean Craighead George

Other authors: John Schoenherr (Illustrator)

Series: Julie of the Wolves (1)

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen (Paige22)
    Paige22: Another great book about survival. A young teenager in the wilderness similar to Julie of the Wolves.
    The Wolf King by Joseph Wharton Lippincott (bookel)
    A Dog Named Wolf by Erik Munsterhjelm (bookel)
    The Friend of the Singing One by Elizabeth C. Foster (bookel)

English (80)  German (1)  All (81)
I really enjoyed this read and surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It offers a very unique story, both in Julie's upbringing and in the Inuit Alaskan culture. one thing I really enjoyed about the book was the way it was written and the language used. An example of this is when the book changes from Julie's (Miyax) present situation, then goes to a flashback, then back to the present. Also when the author is describng the Tundra." The barren slope stretches for three hundred miles from the Brooks Ranger to the Arctic Ocean, and for than eight hundred miles from the Chukchi to the Beaufort Sea. No roads cross it; ponds and lakes freckle its immensity. Winds scream across it, and the view in every direction is exactly the same. " The language is very descriptive and makes the reader really feel for the characters.This brings me to my second reason I really liked the book. The characters are so well developed and dynamic that the reader can really relate to the characters For example in Part 1, there is a situation where MIyax has not eaten for 3 days and the wolves have not gave her any meat yet. She states , "SO I won't, and that's that." Miyax's willpower is shown so strongly in this moment and the reader can connect with the character very well., The main idea of the story is there is beauty in every situation and everything life may bring, it may also bring a surprise. This is evident when Miyax finally does efriend the wolves and struggles to then return to civilization. ( )
  abeach5 | Mar 29, 2017 |
I was reading it in tandem with Tash, but she pulled on ahead and then it wasn't there any more...
  Kaethe | Oct 16, 2016 |
A juvenile classic I didn't read until I was in my 40s. I loved it ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Oct 4, 2016 |
The pains of growing up and culture clash meld into a story of animal communication and survival skills with some beautiful nature writing. No wonder this book is a classic. It is told in three parts, and the first one is about Julie's interactions with a wolf pack, which hooked me from the beginning. In the opening scene Julie, a thirteen-year-old Inuit (or Eskimo as they are called in the book) is lost on the Arctic tundra. She had run away from home, trying to reach the coast where a ship would take her to San Francisco. She ran out of food and in spite of finding ways to hunt and forage, is slowing starving. She comes across a small wolf pack and decides that her only hope is to gain their trust and share their food. Incredible patience and close attention to the subtle ways the wolves communicate allows her to do this. I really loved reading about how Julie integrated herself into the wolf pack, and how she lived alongside the animals. It felt quite plausible.

The second part of the book is a flashback to Julie's childhood, which tells how she got into her present predicament. Her father, a great hunter who taught her many traditional skills, disappears one day on a trip and is presumed dead. She is forced to move away and live with an aunt who only seems to want Julie in her household as a source of free labor. Julie escapes this situation via an arranged marriage to an Inuit boy, but this new home is also insufferable. Having run away, got lost in the wilderness and found ways to survive, Julie (whose Eskimo name is Miyax) gradually discovers that she loves living close to the land, that she has a deep appreciation for nature and finds satisfaction in using her skills (not without some major challenges, though). When she finally reaches populated areas again, she's no longer sure if she wants to live among men. Her value system is different now. She directly sees the threat modern man poses to her wolves (who follow along towards the village). And when she makes contact with people, she discovers that far more has changed than her own perceptions. I really felt like the ending was too quick, and I had forgotten what sad notes it contained. But it does make me more eager to pick up the second book and see where the story goes.

from the Dogear Diary ( )
  jeane | Aug 25, 2016 |
I taught this book for fifth grade lit circles. The students did not like the book and complained that it was boring, but they also made some really deep connections from it. We also had a lot of really wonderful discussions about the themes within the book. While this was wonderful to experience, I would rather teach my students to love reading and learning than see it as a chore as this book made them feel. ( )
  alaina.loescher | Jun 28, 2016 |
With all due respect for Jean Craighead George, I humbly would not recommend the book to be put on school shelves. I know it is hard work to write books, but when misinformation about the Arctic are numerous, one must say something about the book.

Jean Craighead Georgeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schoenherr, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Minor, WendellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChristinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Luke George who loves wolves
and the Eskimos of Alaska
Miyax pushed back the hood of her sealskin parka and looked at the Arctic sun.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064400581, Paperback)

Miyax, like many adolescents, is torn. But unlike most, her choices may determine whether she lives or dies. At 13, an orphan, and unhappily married, Miyax runs away from her husband's parents' home, hoping to reach San Francisco and her pen pal. But she becomes lost in the vast Alaskan tundra, with no food, no shelter, and no idea which is the way to safety. Now, more than ever, she must look hard at who she really is. Is she Miyax, Eskimo girl of the old ways? Or is she Julie (her "gussak"-white people-name), the modernized teenager who must mock the traditional customs? And when a pack of wolves begins to accept her into their community, Miyax must learn to think like a wolf as well. If she trusts her Eskimo instincts, will she stand a chance of surviving? John Schoenherr's line drawings suggest rather than tell about the compelling experiences of a girl searching for answers in a bleak landscape that at first glance would seem to hold nothing. Fans of Jean Craighead George's stunning, Newberry Medal-winning coming-of-age story won't want to miss Julie (1994) and Julie's Wolf Pack (1998). (Ages 10 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:56 -0400)

While running away from home and an unwanted marriage, a thirteen-year-old Eskimo girl becomes lost on the North Slope of Alaska and is befriended by a wolf pack.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,944,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible