Small Things with Great Love: Adventures in…

Small Things with Great Love: Adventures in Loving Your Neighbor

by Margot Starbuck

Other authors: Tony Campolo (Foreword)

In "Small Things with Great Love," Margot Starbuck has once again created an insightful, accessible book that gently but directly calls readers to live a more Kingdom-oriented life. Broken into short chapters, Margot presents multiple opportunities whereby people can reach out and engage with those in their communities in ways that are neither scary nor always time-intensive. And for those whose time is already committed to the care of others, either young children or family members with special needs or elderly parents, Margot grace-fully acknowledges and affirms that Kingdom service, and does not make readers feel chastened to take on more - quite the opposite, in fact!

Although I elected to read her book straight through, Margot offers readers a "choose your own adventure" reading option: each chapter ends with two or three options for which chapter to read next. There are also encouragements to go and do, or go and rest, whichever is applicable. Given that her book is aimed at people in all life stages, this "choose adventure" element is fun and allows people to skip over the parts that are less applicable.

Full of stories and examples of Kingdom service and outreach done by busy, imperfect people (you know, "normal" folk!), Margot's book offers ideas of how each of us could open our eyes just a little bit more to reach out to those around us without upending every aspect of our lives. She makes living out the love of Christ manageable, which is very welcome in our busy world! ( )
  grkmwk | Feb 28, 2012 |

Margot Starbuckprimary authorall editionscalculated
Campolo, TonyForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Margot Starbuck is back with as much passion and energy as ever. In thirty brief chapters, she invites you to choose the adventure that fits who you are in authentically loving those around you.

Yes, she knows: just the thought of adding something more to your life sounds exhausting. But here's the fantastic truth she's discovered in her own journey: "We don't have to add lots more overwhelming activity to what we've already got going. The regular stuff of our lives--the commute to work and the potlucks and home improvement projects and errands and play dates--are the exact places in which we express and experience God's love for a world in need."

With a list of resources, a study guide and a six-week "Adventure Challenge," as well as plenty of stories and hilarity from Margot's own life, will open your eyes to the people around you and the huge impact you can have on them through small acts of love.

"Small things happen when I learn the name of my daughter's school bus driver," Margot writes. "Small things happen when I listen to the dreams of a woman who lives in a group home on my block. Small things happen when I risk crossing a language barrier even though I look really stupid doing it."

And small things add up to big adventures and surprises, for you and others. The biggest surprise of all might be how powerfully God can use you, right in the midst of your walking-the-dog, paying-the-bills, doing-laundry life, when you're living out his love. Do the first small thing by opening these pages--and let the adventure begin!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:42 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,593,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible