Slammed: A Novel by Colleen Hoover

Slammed: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Colleen Hoover

Series: Slammed (1)

Member:MsGemini
Title:Slammed: A Novel
Authors:Colleen Hoover
Info:Atria Books (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:read in 2012, Nook

Slammed by Colleen Hoover

English (72)  Italian (1)  All languages (73)
I didn’t think all I said about Hopeless would apply to Slammed, too. I mean I was pleasantly surprised about how Hopeless turned out, what were the odds of that happening twice? Well, it did. So now I can officially say that the thing I love the most about Colleen Hoover is that she can take whatever situation that is in fact dramatic and manage not to make it about drama, but to make it about life. It’s never about unbearable and unnecessary heartbreaking drama shit that’s being shoved down your throat (like it tends to happen with most books on the subject), no: it’s always just life, maybe life going downhill, but still life. I think this extract explain it best:

Sometimes, life gets in your way.
It gets all up in your damn way.
But it doesn't get all up in your damn way because it wants you to just give up and let it take control.
Life doesn't get all up in your damn way because it just wants you to hand it all over and be carried along.
Life wants you to fight it.
Learn how to make it your own.
It wants you to grab an axe and hack through the wood.
It wants you to get a sledgehammer and break through the concrete.
It wants you to grab a torch and burn through the metal and steel until you can reach through and grab it.

I loved the fact that there were so many different elements to the story, to the point that at times I felt like the love story – which was supposed to be the main part of the plot – was just one of the elements that completed it, or maybe it’s just because I wish there were more scenes between Will and Lake alone.

And I totally loved the slam, it was a very original idea and a very significant way for the characters to portray their emotions (my favorite were Will’s slams, all three of them). And I also loved that all the characters were so unique and each of them gave you so much to think about.
  kairih | Aug 30, 2014 |
LOVED IT! Colleen Hoover is now one of my official favorites! Could not put it down! Love the plot, love the characters and cannot wait for the next one! ( )
  breakingbooks | Aug 13, 2014 |
A tearjerker. This book should've come with a warning. Tissues are required. ( )
  sharlenehsmith | Aug 7, 2014 |
I fell in love with Will on page one! He tries so hard to be a good man it really is impossible not to love him. Lake has it rough too and does so much growing up in the short time we are with them. In short this book was so good and I'm sorry it's taken me so long to read it. 4.5 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Jul 17, 2014 |
This was my first introduction to Colleen Hoover and what a great book it was. Initially I was recommended Slammed but put it aside because I was not interested in reading a book about poetry. If you were like me who initiately thought this book was going to be "meh" you are so wrong. I was blow away by this book and I still remember my reaction to finishing this book and going "wow what just hit me?" Will and Lake will put you in and even their adorable little brothers will make you laugh and cry with them. These two very young adults have to face life and death so soon in their life that you cannot help but root for them to find happiness. If you haven't read anything by this author you need to go start with this book. ( )
  thtlam | Jul 11, 2014 |

Following the unexpected death of her father, eighteen-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and her younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope. One young man brings change to all of this. After moving across the country, Layken meets her attractive twenty-one-year-old neighbor who has an intriguing passion for slams. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope. Not long after a heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together and the forces that tear them apart.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,672,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible