Slammed: A Novel by Colleen Hoover

Slammed: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Colleen Hoover

Series: Slammed (1)

Member:MsGemini
Title:Slammed: A Novel
Authors:Colleen Hoover
Info:Atria Books (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:read in 2012, Nook

Slammed by Colleen Hoover

English (81)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (83)
Visit my shared blog, Boricuan Bookworms for more reviews!

“But I can tell by watching you
That there’s no chance of pushing through
The offs are so against us
You know most young love, it ends like this.”
-The Avett Brothers, I Would Be Sad
Once you reach this song lyric in the book, you just know that you’re going to be in for a rollercoaster of emotions.

What I really loved about Slammed was the way that it could explore the nature of human relationships and how a person could deal with grief.

The characters in this book were so easy to love, each of them so colorful and unique. My favorite characters were: Kel and Eddie. Kel, because for just being a kid, he’s incredibly wise and insightful. Kel’s life is full of tragedy, but he still finds reasons to smile and make the most of his life. Eddie was an amazing character as well. She’s the best friend that anyone would love to have. Eddie just appeared in Layken’s life and said “Well, we’re best friends now. Deal with it.” I loved that about her; she was like a firecracker, so full of light and colors.

Also, Colleen Hoover’s poetic way of writing was just lovely. I couldn’t wait to see what poems she would give to us next. I practically devoured the book because of the beautiful poetry.

However, there was an aspect of the book that made me remove a star and a half from my rating. For me, the book was riddled with too many difficult themes at once. There was too much death, too much sickness, too much conflict, and that made the themes difficult to explore. I guess the execution of the themes fell a bit flat to the rest of the story.

On the other hand, I absolutely fell in love with the romance. Will is definitely one of my book boyfriends, for sure. I liked Will and Layken’s conflict. Their inner turmoil and longing from-afar thing was so entertaining. You could practically feel the sexual tension between the two of them.

The only aspect of the romance I couldn’t stand was the immediate love/lust between the two of them. As the book progressed, their relationship matured and left the insta-love behind, but at first I felt like I was BAM! Slapped in the face by the romance.

I felt as if the ending wrapped up the book nicely, and I didn’t feel like a sequel was needed. However, I just got Point of Retreat from Netgalley, so I’ll be sure to give it a read.

Rating: 3.5 stars ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
colleen hoover is my fav author. despite a sea of amazing authors she has such a tantalizingly sweet way of sharing these stories of first love… that I feel like we fall in love along with them. ( )
  Alwaysmidnight | Jun 16, 2015 |
Colleen Hoover has just become one of my new favorite authors! I absolutely loved this book, and that's saying something because I don't tend to read contemporary fiction. I was drawn in from the beginning to this tragic, bitter-sweet story and I loved every single minute. This book is not focused on romance, it is focused on life and on events that occur to people out there. It made me think about my life, appreciate my life and what I have. Yes, there are heartbreaking moments in the book, but the misfortunes are not exaggerated, they are instead accepted and dealt with. I especially loved the solid relationships between the characters from Lake's maternal love of her brother, to her maturity towards her mother, the book just felt so real. This is not the last time I will talk about Colleen Hoover, I'm sure, I look forward to reading more of her books. AHHH I loved it!!!! ( )
  Ericanneri | May 21, 2015 |
Layken "Lake" Cohen
Will Cooper

Julia Cohen (mom), Kel Cohen (Lake's brother), Caulder Cooper (Will's brother), Eddie (Lake's BFF), Gavin

I fell in love with Will on page one! He tries so hard to be a good man it really is impossible not to love him. Lake has it rough too and does so much growing up in the short time we are with them. In short this book was so good and I'm sorry it's taken me so long to read it. 4.5 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
Wow just wow!! This is the first Colleen Hoover book I have read and I'm now a fan for life. I don't think I have every had such a strong connection to the characters as I had with Layken and Will. Slammed was an amazing emotional read, I laughter and I cried through the entire book. ( )
  Kimmykay0302 | Apr 13, 2015 |

Following the unexpected death of her father, eighteen-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and her younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope. One young man brings change to all of this. After moving across the country, Layken meets her attractive twenty-one-year-old neighbor who has an intriguing passion for slams. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope. Not long after a heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together and the forces that tear them apart.… (more)

316 wanted5 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,885,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible