HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Slammed: A Novel by Colleen Hoover
Loading...

Slammed: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Colleen Hoover

Series: Slammed (1)

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
4907820,897 (4.17)9
Member:MsGemini
Title:Slammed: A Novel
Authors:Colleen Hoover
Info:Atria Books (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library
Rating:****
Tags:read in 2012, Nook

Work details

Slammed by Colleen Hoover

None.

None
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 9 mentions

English (76)  Italian (1)  All languages (77)
Showing 1-5 of 76 (next | show all)
*4.5 stars*

This book was a hell of a roller coaster of emotions. A wild ride. It messed with my heart and feelings and left me sobbing and laughing uncontrollably. Slammed can make you smile widely one second and cry like a baby the other second. I loved the poetry in the book – it encouraged me to write my own poetry. (I’ve written one and a half poems until now!) I felt like the relationship between Layken and Will was too fast for me. There wasn’t really any chemistry at the beginning. However, this was a beautifully written book with amazing characters! Loved it! ( )
  fatimareadsbooks | Mar 10, 2015 |
I really liked this book! Took me 4.5 hrs to finish it cover to cover! That ought to tell you something. I usually don't get into hyped books because they always end up on the meh-side. But this book took me by surprise. There were moments when I thought the characters were being overly melodramatic, but it wasn't ruined for me. I laughed, cried, and felt the urge to throw things at the wall while reading this book. Love it. ( )
  xKhuloodx | Mar 9, 2015 |
Geht man nach dem Titel, glaubt man eine mehr oder weniger schnulzige Liebesgeschichte vor sich zu haben - und wird tief enttäuscht sein, wenn man sich genau darauf gefreut hat. Der englische Titel trifft es um Längen besser: Slammed - Aufprall, Kollision, Zusammenstoß. Zudem ist er herrlich doppeldeutig, denn im Buch spielen Poetry Slams eine wesentliche Rolle.
Layken, die nach dem plötzlichen Tod ihres Vaters mit ihrer Mutter und ihrem kleinen Bruder von Texas nach Michigan ziehen muss, trifft an ihrem neuen Wohnort am ersten Tag auf ihren Nachbarn Will, ein gutaussehender und äusserst symphatischer junger Mann. Es knistert nicht nur, nein es schlägt Funken zwischen den Beiden und nach drei Tagen, in denen sie sich wiederholt treffen, ist zumindest für Layken klar: Sie hat sich Hals über Kopf verliebt. Doch dann macht sie eine Entdeckung, die ihren Höhenflug in den siebten Himmel in einen Absturz ins Bodenlose verwandelt...
Das könnte nun alles kitschig und rührselig werden, denn die Thematik ist ja gerade prädestiniert dafür. Doch die Erzählweise von Layken, der Icherzählerin, ist völlig frei von Selbstmitleid und Gejammer. Stattdessen berichtet sie mit viel Selbstironie (beispielsweise wie sie gleich zu Beginn Will in den Darth-Vader-Plüschschuhen ihres kleinen Bruders gegenübertritt) und einer trotz aller Schicksalsschläge immer vorhandenen Lebensfreude; das Ganze in einem lockerleichten Ton, der jedoch kein Blabla darstellt. Ich habe beim Lesen mit Layken gelitten, mich gefreut und konnte ihre Gefühlsregungen sehr gut nachempfinden, obwohl ich schon einige Jährchen älter bin als sie. Trotz der teilweise sehr traurigen Thematik (es geht viel um Tod) ist es ein Mutmachbuch - und hier kommen die Poetry Slams ins Spiel. Fasst eure Gefühle in Worte und erzählt sie Anderen - sie werden es euch danken. Denn ist es nicht wunderbar festzustellen, dass man mit seinen Empfindungen nicht allein auf dieser Welt ist?
Ein wirklich schönes Buch mit einigen wirklich guten Lebens-Ratschlägen von Laykens Mutter (nicht nur) auf der letzten Seite. Nur zwei davon als Beispiel:
- Denkt immer daran: Grenzen sind dazu da, erweitert zu werden.
- Zu guter letzt: Bereut nichts. Niemals
Im nächsten Jahr soll ein zweiter Band folgen - ich werde ihn mir schon mal vormerken. ( )
  Xirxe | Dec 2, 2014 |
Layken Cohen's father has just died. She's forced to pack up her life and move to a place that no one wants to live. Her hot neighbor, Will Cooper, is a sweet guy, and their romance is the best thing that's happened to Lake in a long while. Until it turns out they can't be together when she shows up at school on Monday and sees him again, in the front of the classroom as Mr. Cooper.

They toil through trials and tribulations, music mellows and manipulates many moments, and there will eventually be a light at the end of the tunnel.

The surprise hit that it was, I didn't pick this up for a long time, waiting for it to become available on one of my cheapskate avenues. The other night I plucked up the courage to load it onto my ereader and enjoy some forbidden romance. Instead, I found myself comparing it to Twilight and laughing really hard. While I knew this book is self-published, I also learned it was never intended for publication, written for and initially only shared among friends. Though it lacks sex, it's still slipped into the New Adult genre. A genre which I was whole-heartedly on board with until it turned out to be Romance about Younger Adults who-are-totally-legal, a my-first-romance, if you will indulge the idea. This does read like a self-published book that should have gotten a few more combings. It follows the cookie-cutter of the romance novel well enough that it feels uninspired.

I am, unabashedly, a fan of forbidden romance. I even like that borderline despicable romance about students and teachers. I honestly thought I would like this book. I thought I would be a shoe-in, and bounce from this popular book and into bold new adventures. But all my complaints feel shallow now that I know that this book wasn't intended for a mass market, but since it has since been deemed fit, I'm going to go for it.

It's overwritten, the similarities to Twilight are uncanny but thankfully infrequent, there are hilariously ridiculous portrayals of drama. He's authoritative. He talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. I would have abandoned this book 5 chapters in, but I was laughing so hard as things got increasingly serious and everybody was communicating in a very healthy fashion, but giving in to their emotions anyway. Dear lord.

And since I became a fan of spoken word poetry just before picking job this book I was not impressed by what the author brought. You can argue that it's like that in reality, not every performer is amazing, but this is fiction. I read it to escape. I was disappointed to find that the Avett Brothers are a real band, their lyrics used to prelude every chapter, which strikes me as lazy. When I reflect on my notes from reading they all run along the same line; irony between the intent that Hoover has and the advice that Layken's mother, Julia, gives her daughter. Which is, honestly, great advice, and does not match up with the romantic hero Hoover sets up. This book should have gone to an editor once it became more popular.

The final straw is the fact that Slammed can not even measure up to my favorite portrayal of an illegal student/teacher relationship, that of Ezra Fitz and Aria Montgomery in Sara Shepard's Pretty Little Liars. This book merely solidified my need to re-read and catch up with that series. Talk about interesting forbidden romance!

214pp. Amazon. 4th Jan 2012.
  knotbox | Dec 1, 2014 |
Slammed is a first novel for an author with little to no previous writing experience that was written initially only for family and friends and then was self-published on Amazon to (a surprisingly) great reception. After finishing this short book, I just don't agree with the majority of readers that this was a great YA romance. I think I was especially let down by the central slam poetry theme which fell pretty flat in terms of the poetry itself and the development of the slam poetry culture. When I think of slam poetry, I generally imagine great emotion and raw truth and sticky subjects. None of this was captured in Ms. Hoover's novel. Some young people in my life recently told me that the slam poetry movement is now full of "posers" with no real message to share and no real passion for the art. This book felt full of "posers." Even though their life experiences could have been the source of good poetry, those opportunities were squandered away by the characters in this book. Elsewhere on the web, Ms. Hoover has expressed her concern that there were not more novels with slam poetry as a central theme. I'm afraid we are still waiting. ( )
  kellifrobinson | Nov 25, 2014 |
Showing 1-5 of 76 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
First words
Quotations
Last words
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English

None

Book description
Haiku summary

No descriptions found.

Following the unexpected death of her father, eighteen-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and her younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope. One young man brings change to all of this. After moving across the country, Layken meets her attractive twenty-one-year-old neighbor who has an intriguing passion for slams. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope. Not long after a heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together and the forces that tear them apart.… (more)

(summary from another edition)

» see all 4 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
1 avail.
138 wanted
5 pay1 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (4.17)
0.5
1 1
1.5
2 12
2.5
3 27
3.5 5
4 69
4.5 4
5 90

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,154,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible