Slammed: A Novel by Colleen Hoover

Slammed: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Colleen Hoover

Series: Slammed (1)

Member:MsGemini
Title:Slammed: A Novel
Authors:Colleen Hoover
Info:Atria Books (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:read in 2012, Nook

Slammed by Colleen Hoover

English (93)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All (95)
After the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mom and her brother. After moving from Texas to Michigan, she tries to appear resilient on the outside, but on the inside, she is losing hope. Until she meets her attractive new neighbor, 21-year-old Will Copper, who has an intriguing passion for slam poetry and shares in Layken’s sense of humor. Within days of meeting, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope. Not long after their intense first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful, as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together and the secret that is keeping them apart.

I have had this book for a while, but just hasn’t gotten around to reading it. I’m not sure why, because I have never read a book by Colleen Hoover that I didn’t love. So after finishing It Ends With Us and having a Colleen Hoover book hangover, I figured I would start on this book, the first in the series. And of course, I really enjoyed it. Once again, it wasn’t what I expected at all and it always amazes me how the author can make you laugh out loud on one page and cry on the next. This book is well written and the characters are quite complex. I felt that we got to know Layken really well, along with her brother Kel. We also get to know Will and his younger brother Caulder and their backstory as well. We also get to watch as Layken makes her first best friend Eddie, after not really having time for these types of relationships in Texas. Eddie herself is a very vibrant, positive and unique character. There is so much that the synopsis leaves out in regards to both of their families and situations. Every time I read a book by Hoover, there’s always that point where there is a plot twist or the revelation of a secret and it usually comes as a surprise to me. This book was no different.

I also liked that this book dealt with many different issues from love, friendships and relationships to family dynamics, grief and loss. I really enjoyed getting to know all of the characters and I enjoyed the fact that Layken does not talk or act like your typical 18-year-old high school senior; she seems to know what is and isn’t important in life. Just like all of the author’s books, I highly recommend you read this one. I immediately purchased the 2nd book in the series, Point of Retreat upon finishing Slammed. Thank goodness for Kindles; I prefer physical books and read those most of the time, but I will say an e-reader is convenient when you finish the 1st book in a series at 10pm and immediately want to start the 2nd! Happy reading! ( )
  mrsreadsbooks | Jun 5, 2017 |
AN amazing book you just cannot put it down ( )
  Aima_Ibrahim | Dec 22, 2016 |
may be spoilers. OK book. This book came from a list of recommended New Adult books but I am not sure why it isn't YA since the narrator/main character is a high school senior. Lots of drama, almost all goodhearted.
  franoscar | Nov 23, 2016 |
"So you keep your ocean
I'll take the Lake"

I'm so glad I read Slammed. Truthfully before I read it, I really had no idea what it was about. Then once I realized it was about slam poetry I kind of gave it that confused dog look but proceeded anyway. This book.... Well, if you would have told me this was Colleen's first novel, I would have never believed you. It is absolutely amazing and definitely one of my favorite books that I have read by her (right behind Maybe Someday).

Full review and many other reviews at Southern Bred, Southern Read Blog ( )
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |
I laughed, I cried, I screamed, I yelled, I felt myriad of emotions from this book. I loved it. This is the kind of book I really love, it makes you really engross yourself into the story and doesn't let you go until the end, which can have you either laughing or sobbing(which is not always a bad thing).

I really appreciated the authors talent for weaving a story with such force of love and loss. The author handled the topic of death with feeling and humor. Oh yes humor, most of the book is filled humor, it's not all sad and dreary. The little kids were the most humorous of all.

I'm not able to review this book without giving too much away so I will wrap it up by saying that I really did love it. It was a wonderful story with some interesting characters.

Enjoy. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Oct 22, 2016 |

Following the unexpected death of her father, eighteen-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and her younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope. One young man brings change to all of this. After moving across the country, Layken meets her attractive twenty-one-year-old neighbor who has an intriguing passion for slams. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope. Not long after a heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together and the forces that tear them apart.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,169,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible