Slammed: A Novel by Colleen Hoover

Slammed: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Colleen Hoover

Authors:Colleen Hoover
Info:Atria Books (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:read in 2012, Nook

Slammed by Colleen Hoover

English (90)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (92)
Slammed by Colleen Hoover

This was my second Colleen Hoover after I got hooked with Finding Cinderella and this one is my favorite among her works. Colleen Hoover books made me love the New Adult genre, I was not a fan at first but when I tried it, I couldn’t help to read the other works of her. Slammed is about the story of Lake and Will, story of both of their families, how they handle the pressure, the lost, and how they get up. Some books are just made just to inspire you. That’s how I felt with Slammed. And Lake’s mother? Julia? Oh, I wish I had her as a mother too! I don’t mind two mothers.

“Never judge others. You both know good and well how unexpected events can change who a person is. Always keep that in mind. You never know what someone else is experiencing within their own life.” ( )
  Rafael_Ray | Aug 27, 2016 |
5 I absolutely Love Colleen Hoover Stars

Colleen Hoover knows how to write a star that reaches every emotion that you have built inside. I have never in my life read books that reach my heart the way that Colleen Hoover can. She is an amazing author who knows how to take a story and right it in a way that no matter how wrong it is it seems so right. Colleen Hoover herself deserves FIVE author stars for totally taking me for a spin that I have never been on before.

I got schooled this year
by
a
boy.

A boy that I'm seriously, deeply, madly, incredibly, and undeniably in love with.
And he taught me the most important thing of all...

To put the emphasis
On life

Oh my... I want to get slammed. My emotions are all over the place.I like that the relationship between Lake and Will is built on more than sex and I know that is what some people do not like in this book. I did not need it I had the emotions and feelings and I felt throughout the book. All I can say is Colleen Hoover I FUCKING Love You!
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
Once i read a book

a book that made me cry

a book that made me question things, push my boundaries , write slam poetry, listen The Avett Brothers, believe , love, grow .

was so hypnotizing

Once i read a book that made me fear death,

but above all

a book that made me enjoy life.

***

Y'll know which book was ;) ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
Layken Cohen's father has just died. She's forced to pack up her life and move to a place that no one wants to live. Her hot neighbor, Will Cooper, is a sweet guy, and their romance is the best thing that's happened to Lake in a long while. Until it turns out they can't be together when she shows up at school on Monday and sees him again, in the front of the classroom as Mr. Cooper.

They toil through trials and tribulations, music mellows and manipulates many moments, and there will eventually be a light at the end of the tunnel.

The surprise hit that it was, I didn't pick this up for a long time, waiting for it to become available on one of my cheapskate avenues. The other night I plucked up the courage to load it onto my ereader and enjoy some forbidden romance. Instead, I found myself comparing it to Twilight and laughing really hard. While I knew this book is self-published, I also learned it was never intended for publication, written for and initially only shared among friends. Though it lacks sex, it's still slipped into the New Adult genre. A genre which I was whole-heartedly on board with until it turned out to be Romance about Younger Adults who-are-totally-legal, a my-first-romance, if you will indulge the idea. This does read like a self-published book that should have gotten a few more combings. It follows the cookie-cutter of the romance novel well enough that it feels uninspired.

I am, unabashedly, a fan of forbidden romance. I even like that borderline despicable romance about students and teachers. I honestly thought I would like this book. I thought I would be a shoe-in, and bounce from this popular book and into bold new adventures. But all my complaints feel shallow now that I know that this book wasn't intended for a mass market, but since it has since been deemed fit, I'm going to go for it.

It's overwritten, the similarities to Twilight are uncanny but thankfully infrequent, there are hilariously ridiculous portrayals of drama. He's authoritative. He talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. I would have abandoned this book 5 chapters in, but I was laughing so hard as things got increasingly serious and everybody was communicating in a very healthy fashion, but giving in to their emotions anyway. Dear lord.

And since I became a fan of spoken word poetry just before picking job this book I was not impressed by what the author brought. You can argue that it's like that in reality, not every performer is amazing, but this is fiction. I read it to escape. I was disappointed to find that the Avett Brothers are a real band, their lyrics used to prelude every chapter, which strikes me as lazy. When I reflect on my notes from reading they all run along the same line; irony between the intent that Hoover has and the advice that Layken's mother, Julia, gives her daughter. Which is, honestly, great advice, and does not match up with the romantic hero Hoover sets up. This book should have gone to an editor once it became more popular.

The final straw is the fact that Slammed can not even measure up to my favorite portrayal of an illegal student/teacher relationship, that of Ezra Fitz and Aria Montgomery in Sara Shepard's Pretty Little Liars. This book merely solidified my need to re-read and catch up with that series. Talk about interesting forbidden romance!
  knotbox | Jun 9, 2016 |
I laughed, I cried, I screamed, I yelled, I felt myriad of emotions from this book. I loved it. This is the kind of book I really love, it makes you really engross yourself into the story and doesn't let you go until the end, which can have you either laughing or sobbing(which is not always a bad thing).

I really appreciated the authors talent for weaving a story with such force of love and loss. The author handled the topic of death with feeling and humor. Oh yes humor, most of the book is filled humor, it's not all sad and dreary. The little kids were the most humorous of all.

I'm not able to review this book without giving too much away so I will wrap it up by saying that I really did love it. It was a wonderful story with some interesting characters.

Enjoy. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Apr 20, 2016 |

Following the unexpected death of her father, eighteen-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and her younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope. One young man brings change to all of this. After moving across the country, Layken meets her attractive twenty-one-year-old neighbor who has an intriguing passion for slams. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope. Not long after a heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together and the forces that tear them apart.… (more)

305 wanted5 pay4 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,427,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible