Shadow & Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Shadow & Bone (edition 2012)

by Leigh Bardugo

Series: Grisha (1)

Member:cleoppa
Title:Shadow & Bone
Authors:Leigh Bardugo
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Kindle, Read
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Read January 2013

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

2012 (20) 2013 (16) adventure (8) ARC (9) ebook (15) fantasy (200) favorites (15) fiction (64) first in series (7) friendship (7) goodreads (7) Grisha (10) Kindle (12) library (14) magic (61) orphans (14) own (13) read (10) read in 2012 (20) read in 2013 (13) romance (28) Russia (21) series (23) teen (15) to-read (151) trilogy (9) unread (7) wishlist (8) YA (84) young adult (90)
    Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente (MyriadBooks)
    The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both books have an ordinary human girl who is orphaned but learns that she has great power to change the world.
    A Heroine of the World by Tanith Lee (kylenapoli)

Alina and Mal were best friends growing up in an orphanage, and now that they’re sixteen they’ve joined the national army of Ravka together. While on a mission to cross the Shadow Fold – a giant, malevolent cloud that splits Ravka in two – Mal is seriously injured and almost killed. Alina freaks out, and *something* happens. Alina has special powers that place her among the Grisha – elite magicians in the service of the King. She is whisked off to Grisha training camp where she will learn to use her powers, and also learn the truth about the origin of the Shadow Fold.

A lovely, Russian fairy tale-inspired start to a series. With a gorgeous map. It’s just clichéd enough to feel comfortable, but the world is imaginative and the characters are authentic. The plot of this one book wasn't fantastic, but the overall arc is intriguing and I can wait to start the next book. ( )
  norabelle414 | Jul 16, 2014 |
Leigh Bardugo you are amazing! I loved Alina, I love Mal, I loved the plot, I loved the ideas, even the Darkling was amazing! So let's just be honest...I LOVED THIS BOOK! I CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING I DIDN'T LIKE ABOUT IT! Wait there is one thing, I don't have the second one and that is going to make me cry. I can't wait to read it!!! ( )
  ChickensAreBrave | Jul 6, 2014 |
I enjoyed the first book in this series and I am curious where the series is headed. There were points when the author seemed to dwell on the romantic plot line...however she did make the romantic aspect an integral part of the plot and not something completely separate. This is a book I would recommend. ( )
  bibliophile_pgh | Jul 6, 2014 |
  ChickensAreBrave | Jul 1, 2014 |
Shadow & Bone is a book that fantasy fans definitely do not want to miss out on! It takes place in a country torn by war. Along with that, the country itself has been geographically split by a big strip of land that was turned into a vast darkness called The Fold centuries ago. Any that enter it will likely perish from the darkness and creatures that dwell within its darkness. Still people must cross the fold to maintain contact and trade with the other half of the country.

The magic system in this story is quite interesting, in fact I wish there would have been more background information devoted to explaining it. Essentially though it isn't really magic but science, not that I know how to explain it at all. The magic users are called grisha and there are different kinds. Those that can wield the elements, those that can create things from raw materials, etc.

The main character, Alina, is a mapmaker in the military and is supposed to cross The Fold with her unit. Her lifelong best friend Mal is also in her unit. When the crossing is attempted they are attacked and it is ultimately discovered that Alina is a grisha one of those few that has certain powers. Hers is that of a sun summoner.

She is taken away to the palace where she must train to learn how to use her power because they believe her powers to summon the sun can help destroy the darkness of The Fold and reunite the country.

Although some points while she is in the palace seem a bit slow I was still sucked so much into the story that it didn't feel slow at all. I think it's important to note that I didn't get bored at all during Shadow & Bone. That is a very important thing for me, being sucked in the whole way through even if there isn't any action packed scenes propelling the story forward.

Alina has such a strong personality and I became very attached to her and felt like all of her character growth through the story was excellent. We see her struggle against herself and who she thinks she wants to be, as well as her feelings for her friend and growing feelings for the man "The Darkling," the strongest grisha in the country.

Admittedly, I didn't anticipate the twists and turns that took place towards the end, which left me so pleasantly surprised every time. Too often I speculate as to what is going to happen and hit so close to the mark that it takes away some of my enjoyment. With Shadow & Bone this didn't happen at all.

On a final note I have to say that I really liked the romantic aspect of the book, it was in no way the main focus and thus it simply added to the story instead of dominating it like often happens in so many other fantasy stories I've read lately. ( )
2 vote Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |

Bardugo, Leighprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahrens, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, KeithMap artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, JenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, AprilDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandfather: Tell me some lies.
The servants called them malenchki, little ghosts, because they were the smallest and the youngest...

Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha…and the secrets of her heart

Orphaned by the Border Wars, Alina Starkov is taken from obscurity and her only friend, Mal, to become the protege of the mysterious Darkling, who trains her to join the magical elite in the belief that she is the Sun Summoner, who can destroy the monsters of the Fold.… (more)

213 wanted4 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,490,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible