Shadow & Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Shadow & Bone (edition 2012)

by Leigh Bardugo

Series: Grisha (1)

2,1772092,985 (3.99)104
Member:cleoppa
Title:Shadow & Bone
Authors:Leigh Bardugo
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Kindle, Read
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Read January 2013

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente (MyriadBooks)
    Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman (bluehighlighter)
    The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both books have an ordinary human girl who is orphaned but learns that she has great power to change the world.
    A Heroine of the World by Tanith Lee (kylenapoli)

English (207)  German (1)  English (1)  English (209)
Soooo goood! ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
Amazon says this is for ages 12-18. I'd say this was written for 12 year-olds. Definitely a 1 or 2 star book for me, but probably great for that age group.

The basic backbone of this story is it is a girl with special powers who doesn't know she has them, discovers them, and has to learn how to use them. ( )
  sentryrose | Nov 22, 2016 |
This book gets four stars instead of three because of the awesome cover. It was engaging enough, but I didn't think the world was explained or described adequately. There was a sheen of "Russia" over the whole book, but I've seen fictional Russia done much more convincingly. Maybe this will get fixed with more books in the series. I was intrigued by the magic system, but it was not as well developed as I would have liked. There were a few "twists" that were fairly predictable, but the story worked pretty well. I'm going to read the next book, if only to get some more information about the magic system. ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |

Originally posted here

I first read this book three years ago and I loved it but then promptly forgot about it until now. I am so happy I re-read this book, it was even better than I remember.

I just adored the world of Grisha, I found it all fascinating, especially the magic system. I was completely sucked into this book and I became very emotionally attached to Alina's story. The fantasy is inspired by elements of Russian culture which I really enjoyed as it helped me picture the architecture and the clothing of the characters. I think the character that made this book for me was the Darkling... he is just something else. I just love him. His power of controlling darkness and the fact that he wears all black and is the most powerful of Grisha. I was getting strongly reminded of Cole from Charmed which was a show I was obsessed with back in the day. Who doesn't love a mysterious, dark bad boy?

In addition to the main character, Alina, there were a couple of secondary characters that I cared about because they were really interesting. I'm thinking specifically of Genya and Mal, I really care about them so if anything happens to my darlings... I will be devastated.

I was thinking of this book even when I wasn't reading it - the Shadow Fold is a brilliant invention. I think complete darkness is a fear of many and to have huge sections of land overtaken by a darkness filled with creepy creatures is just the stuff of nightmares. I really can't wait to finally carry on with this series and see where it takes me.

Shadow and Bone is one of my favourites and I would wholeheartedly recommend. ( )
  4everfanatical | Nov 3, 2016 |
I read this book super fast. I literally could not put it down. I loved the main character, Alina, so much and despite the fact that the book is written in first person (which is sometimes a turn off for me and very rarely results in me becoming attached to any character), I stayed engaged for the entire novel.

The action is ongoing, the relationships between Alina and the Darkling and Alina and Mal are complex and the mystery of the Fold along with the politics in her country, make the story intriguing.

This is the first book in a trilogy and I will definitely be reading the others in this series. ( )
  cathishaw | Oct 27, 2016 |

Bardugo, Leighprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahrens, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, KeithMap artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, JenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, AprilDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandfather: Tell me some lies.
The servants called them malenchki, little ghosts, because they were the smallest and the youngest...

Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha…and the secrets of her heart

Orphaned by the Border Wars, Alina Starkov is taken from obscurity and her only friend, Mal, to become the protegâe of the mysterious Darkling, who trains her to join the magical elite in the belief that she is the Sun Summoner, who can destroy the monsters of the Fold.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,687,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible