Shadow & Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Shadow & Bone (edition 2012)

by Leigh Bardugo

Series: Grisha (1)

Member:cleoppa
Title:Shadow & Bone
Authors:Leigh Bardugo
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Kindle, Read
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Read January 2013

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente (MyriadBooks)
    Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman (bluehighlighter)
    The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both books have an ordinary human girl who is orphaned but learns that she has great power to change the world.
    A Heroine of the World by Tanith Lee (kylenapoli)

English (216)  German (1)  All (1)  All (218)
This one is a solid 3 stars. I found it entertaining, and loved the setting & world that was created. The magic system was really unique, and I appreciate that because YA fantasy has the tendency to be incestuous about its tropes and magic systems. With that said, nothing much happened in this first book of the trilogy. Even when things seemed like they were getting going, 2 pages later the "conflict" would be over or resolved with no push and pull from both sides. I am intrigued enough to continue on with the series though, so it was certainly enjoyable. ( )
  Derby_Lane | May 24, 2017 |
There's nothing wrong with Shadow and Bone, per say, it just wasn't a very engaging read. One of those books you float through with mild interest but there's no urgency, no tension. Alina and her best friend Mal are orphans employed by the King's Army, but unlike Mal, Alina is self-conscious, not much to look at, and lacks useful talents. They live in a world split by the Shadow Fold, a swath of dead space teeming with vicious winged creatures with safe passage only provided by the Grisha, an elite force that commands otherworldly magic. However, when crossing the Fold with her regiment, the Grisha begin to fall under a volcra attack and Alina is forced to draw on a power deep within herself that she did not know she possessed. Swept off to the royal palace to train as Grisha and unlock the power necessary to save humanity from the darkness of the Fold, Alina struggles to find her place in this new world. Yet a deadlier evil is afoot. An interesting premise, but lacking much pull. Alina was an unsatisfactory heroine, taking up pages and pages with her constant brooding and self-effacement. Shadow and Bone was brief and skimmed over characters and elements calling for more depth. ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |
I was so scared going into this because of all the mixed reviews, and I am so happy to say that this book worked out very well for me. In fact, it worked out so well that it is now going on my "favorites" shelf.

I didn't expect it to be a single first person narrative, but I found myself enjoying that it was.
Alina's point of view was perfect for telling the story. An orphan who never felt as she belonged anywhere was basically thrown into a whole new world. The way she was trying to navigate that new world, grudgingly, was quite hilarious to read at times. I also thought that she had the perfect amount of a whiny teenager in her - she wasn't good at anything, but she tried; she whined and cried and complained, but in the end she always sucked it up and did what was asked of her. And she was blunt and sassy! So what if she acted vain when she got to enjoy a hot bath by herself, or when a beautiful silk dress was made for her. For an orphan and an army girl that can be completely pardoned.
I found the Grisha world to be absolutely fascinating, and I did feel that the book needed more explaining on how Grisha work their magic! But since this is a trilogy I am giving it a benefit of a doubt and hoping for more information from the next 2 books.
All of the Slavic cultural references warmed my soul. However I found it funny at times how some words (mostly Russian) were taken and turned into a different word for a ravkan language.

I heard some people say that the pace was slow, and the events were dull, but I didn't feel that way at all, I guess it's all the matter of a perspective.
For a moment there I was afraid that it was turning into an insta-love story, but no, thank goodness it didn't take that route.
The Darkling turned out to be a very fascinating character, his persona and his power were mystique and bad-ass. But as of this point I don't like him much - to me he seems like an ancient evil creature who likes to seduce young girls to get what he wants. BUT, I can tell that there is more to him, and that the human in him is still there (deep,deep,deep down) so I foresee some kind of redemption for him in my eyes.
Also that twist - pretty darn good, I was just as surprised as Alina herself.

If there were problems with this book, I didn't notice, for I was so entranced with the beautiful and witty writing. And I am also afraid at this point that Bardugo can do no wrong in my eyes, so my points of view on her books are becoming quite biased. ( )
  bookandsword | Apr 27, 2017 |
There are probably endless with reviews explaining what this book is about and if you are a reader of YA you have probably heard about this before. So I will just go straight ahead to what I think about this book.

Shadow and Bone is a great book...if I was younger (yes I am old and picky) or for instance never had read any books by Robin Hobb. But now since I'm old and since I have read Robin Hobb, well that means that YA books like this, never really get that interesting. Mainly because I think the book lacked any depth both to the characters and to the world. That doesn't mean that the book isn't any good. I liked it, liked it quite a lot in the beginning, I even thought that it would get a 4-star rating the first 1/3 of the book...but then it just lost steam and suddenly it was down to a stable 3-star rating instead. Which isn't bad...but I was hoping for a greater story. I wanted to be blown away by it, to love the characters, to immerse myself in the world. But I did not.

But that is just me. In the end, none of the characters really stood out for me. None did I really like. I mean I love dark characters (professor Snape is my favorite character in Harry Potter and I adore Darth Vader) but the Darkling? Meh! Boring and honestly a bit of a boring name/title.

I will probably read the next book...if I can get it very cheap..:P ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
You know what's weird? I've had Shadow and Bone on my to-read list for about 3 years but I still read Six of Crows, which is set in the same universe but was released much later, first. Anyways, Shadow and Bone was a book that originally caught my attention as it was listed as a recommendation at my local library. It took me forever to actually pick it up and read it though. After reading Six of Crows (you can check out my review here) I decided that I really wanted to learn more about the Grisha and dive back into the world that Leigh Bardugo created. Luckily Shadow and Bone is the first book of the original trilogy so I settled down to read it as soon as I could.

Shadow and Bone was a book that I read in approximately three hours. I was actually completely ignoring my schoolwork and just devouring this book! It's an easy read and fast paced so that every time I stopped, I did so begrudgingly because something was always going on. I liked its fast pace and I especially liked the realistic way in which Alina was portrayed. She went from, "Idk what I'm doing, I'm going to fail so horribly at this" to "Come at me bruh." Mal was difficult to figure out, and while he had some character development, I felt like I wasn't 100% sold on him even at the end. Other characters were similar in that I felt like I had only skimmed the surface with them. And that's actually ok, because as the first part of a trilogy, I think it's acceptable to do so. While the books get reviewed as separate entities, they're all telling a part of one overarching story, so I hope that I see more of the supporting characters and more character development in the following books.

Read the rest of my review here: http://intersomniaindiem.blogspot.com/2016/06/book-review-shadow-and-bone-by-lei...
  Sheila_23 | Apr 9, 2017 |

Bardugo, Leighprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahrens, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, KeithMap artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, JenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, AprilDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandfather: Tell me some lies.
The servants called them malenchki, little ghosts, because they were the smallest and the youngest...

Orphaned by the Border Wars, Alina Starkov is taken from obscurity and her only friend, Mal, to become the protegâe of the mysterious Darkling, who trains her to join the magical elite in the belief that she is the Sun Summoner, who can destroy the monsters of the Fold.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,443,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible