Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy) by Leigh…

Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy) (edition 2012)

by Leigh Bardugo

Series: Grisha (1)

2,0562003,238 (4)101
Member:eduscapes
Title:Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy)
Authors:Leigh Bardugo
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, young adult, fantasy, magic, ability, monster, orphans, monsters

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente (MyriadBooks)
    Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman (bluehighlighter)
    The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both books have an ordinary human girl who is orphaned but learns that she has great power to change the world.
    A Heroine of the World by Tanith Lee (kylenapoli)

I loved this book! After a chapter or two, I was hooked and I didn't want to put it down. I can't believe I left this book waiting to be read on my bookcase for so long! ( )
  missyk0117 | Jul 26, 2016 |
OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD THAT WAS INCREDIBLE
Review to come ( )
  dani_reviews | Jul 22, 2016 |
This was the July choice for Bloggers Book Club. I put off reading it until the end of the month, mostly because I forgot about it. It took me a little bit to get into it but I really loved all of the Russian elements of the world. I really loved Alina’s character. She was strong but also had vulnerabilities. She felt like a real person that I could relate to. I was completely fascinated by the Darkling and was kind of rooting for him and Alina to get together. I totally love the story and it felt original and refreshing. I loved the characters and the twist. This trilogy has has definitely come up to make my favorites list. ( )
  pennma05 | Jul 21, 2016 |
The quote on the cover from Veronica Roth pretty much covers it: this book is unlike anything I've read before. I read this over the course of a few hours and I was actually irritated when I fell asleep before I could finish it the first night.

I can't wait for the second book in the series. ... Which leads me to a horrifying thought: how many trilogies are never finished? It must happen, right? Oh, no. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
About halfway through, I started getting that weird "I've read this before" feeling. Then I realized I haven't read this one, just two or three others like it. I would have given it five stars if I had read it first. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |

Bardugo, Leighprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahrens, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, KeithMap artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, JenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, AprilDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandfather: Tell me some lies.
The servants called them malenchki, little ghosts, because they were the smallest and the youngest...

Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha…and the secrets of her heart

Orphaned by the Border Wars, Alina Starkov is taken from obscurity and her only friend, Mal, to become the protegâe of the mysterious Darkling, who trains her to join the magical elite in the belief that she is the Sun Summoner, who can destroy the monsters of the Fold.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,385,618 books! | Top bar: Always visible