Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy) by Leigh…

Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy) (edition 2012)

by Leigh Bardugo

Series: Grisha (1)

2,2422102,862 (4)105
Member:eduscapes
Title:Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy)
Authors:Leigh Bardugo
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, young adult, fantasy, magic, ability, monster, orphans, monsters

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente (MyriadBooks)
    Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman (bluehighlighter)
    The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both books have an ordinary human girl who is orphaned but learns that she has great power to change the world.
    A Heroine of the World by Tanith Lee (kylenapoli)

English (207)  German (1)  All (1)  All (209)
Rounding up from 4.5 stars :) ( )
  Gaiagirlie | Jan 12, 2017 |
BLURB: The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.

Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite—the Grisha. Could she be the key to unravelling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free?

The Darkling, a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfill her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.

But what of Mal, Alina’s childhood best friend? As Alina contemplates her dazzling new future, why can’t she ever quite forget him?

Glorious. Epic. Irresistible. Romance.

RATING: 5 stars for Shadow and Bone By: Leigh Bardugo
STARTED: APRIL 13,2014
FINISHED: APRIL 19,2014

REVIEW: Beside the wonderful story line I think that the first 20-5=60 pages had me going around trying to research words, and then it clicked, and I found all of them learned all of them, and eventually this book became one of my bests! Like I said, this book was absolutely wonderful, and has a great plot! This book follows of Alina - (the main character) who has power that she did not realize she had until they ran tests on her , before all of this her biggest companion was Mal- a tracker. They have different lives in the town of Ravka, and go through it step by step no matter what, people named Grisha have different abilities almost no one else has. Then, Alina discovered she was a Sun Summoner as she was fighting off volcra- which are one of the many creatures living in the Shadow Fold that feasts on human flesh. The only thing that can harm a volcra is sunlight.(CITATION:"Volcra." Shadow And Bone Wiki. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Apr. 2014) So, Alina is now the one and only Sun Summoner, and her whole life changes.
The story is a little slow at first, so don't just put it down keep reading! You'll get a hold of it! My favorite character was Mal, because he just clicked with me, and made the whole book better when he was around even if he was making Alina unhappy, or mad. My least favorite character is The Darkling because he tries to manipulate Alina, and do alot of stuff that unfolds in the book, so get reading!If you want to find out more come get a copy from the library!
  christopher.kyle1706 | Dec 8, 2016 |
Soooo goood! ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
Amazon says this is for ages 12-18. I'd say this was written for 12 year-olds. Definitely a 1 or 2 star book for me, but probably great for that age group.

The basic backbone of this story is it is a girl with special powers who doesn't know she has them, discovers them, and has to learn how to use them. ( )
  sentryrose | Nov 22, 2016 |
This book gets four stars instead of three because of the awesome cover. It was engaging enough, but I didn't think the world was explained or described adequately. There was a sheen of "Russia" over the whole book, but I've seen fictional Russia done much more convincingly. Maybe this will get fixed with more books in the series. I was intrigued by the magic system, but it was not as well developed as I would have liked. There were a few "twists" that were fairly predictable, but the story worked pretty well. I'm going to read the next book, if only to get some more information about the magic system. ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |

Bardugo, Leighprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahrens, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, KeithMap artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, JenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, AprilDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandfather: Tell me some lies.
The servants called them malenchki, little ghosts, because they were the smallest and the youngest...

Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha…and the secrets of her heart

Orphaned by the Border Wars, Alina Starkov is taken from obscurity and her only friend, Mal, to become the protegâe of the mysterious Darkling, who trains her to join the magical elite in the belief that she is the Sun Summoner, who can destroy the monsters of the Fold.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,815,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible