Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy) by Leigh…

Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy) (edition 2012)

by Leigh Bardugo

Series: Grisha (1)

Member:eduscapes
Title:Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy)
Authors:Leigh Bardugo
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, young adult, fantasy, magic, ability, monster, orphans, monsters

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (Author)

2012 (18) 2013 (16) adventure (7) ARC (10) ebook (12) fantasy (174) favorites (11) fiction (51) friendship (7) goodreads (7) grisha (6) Kindle (10) library (13) magic (48) orphans (12) own (11) read (9) read in 2012 (20) read in 2013 (11) romance (22) Russia (15) series (20) teen (12) to-read (118) trilogy (9) unread (7) war (5) wishlist (9) YA (71) young adult (82)
    Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente (MyriadBooks)
    The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both books have an ordinary human girl who is orphaned but learns that she has great power to change the world.
    A Heroine of the World by Tanith Lee (kylenapoli)

Shadow and Bone takes place in the fictional dystopian world of Ravka. It's narrated by Alina Starkov, an ordinary orphan who works as a map maker for the Second Army. Her best friend is Mal Orstev, also an orphan and a brilliant tracker. Alina wishes there could be something more with Mal but his attention is occupied by prettier girls. One day, the Second Army has to go through something known as the Shadow Fold: an area of pure darkness occupied by monsters known as the volcra.

When things go awry and Mal gets hurts, Alina unleashes a dormant power she never knew she had. These events catch the attention of The Darkling, the ruler of Ravka, second to the King and Queen. Alina is taken from the Army and is bought to the Litte Palace. It is here she finds out she is a Sun Summoner, a member of the elite Grisha. The Darkling wants to use her to bring about peace in the lands and destroy the Fold. As Alina slowly adjusts to her new life, new information is bought to light that can not only affect her but world.

Shadow and Bone is not a poorly written book. At times, it became very engrossing. I thought the mythology behind that world which was Russia essentially was very interesting. Bardugo did a good job of not getting boggled down with the love story between Mal and Alina. I never cringed over the dialogue or do a mental eye roll. Even the volcra, who I imagined to look like the creatures from the movie Pitch Black, had an interesting back story.

However, Alina Starkov, whom I didn't hate, got very nettlesome after awhile. She suffered from Mary Sue Syndrome. She was a plain, unassuming girl who got the ultimate self-esteem boost: power. Pure, unadulterated power. And she got a pretty powerful man's attention to boot. Alina was a whiner. Almost everything was complaint or her being a plain ol' sourpuss.

Also, she was a bit dumb. Case in point and major spoiler: The Darkling being the evil villain of the novel. Really? The Darkling is the bad guy? Wow. I could understand it if his name was Earl Green and he was a dairy farmer who raised chickens and sheepdogs. Then I could understand the surprise at him being evil. His name is The Darkling. You might as well called him Evil Mastermind. Be that as it may, I'm going to read the sequel. ( )

Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
Couldn't put it down. Although the theme of a young learning they possess power and learning how to cope with that power to fight evil (aka Harry Potter) has been explored and re-worked by many authors, the story was compelling. ( )
  bookwoman137 | Apr 16, 2014 |
Alina Starkov is working as a mapmaker in the King's army when she suddenly discovers a hidden power that elevates her into the ranks of the Grisha, the elite people who can manipulate natural elements. As the Sun Summoner, Alina has great power that the leader of the Grisha, the Darkling, wants to use to bring peace to the war-torn country of Ravka. "Shadow and Bone" reminded me a lot of "Graceling" in its narrative style and I loved the old-world, Russian-esque landscapes of Ravka. After reading so much teen Sci-Fi, it's wonderful to find a Fantasy book that's so promising. I can't wait to read the next two books! ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 8, 2014 |

Bardugo, LeighAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahrens, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandfather: Tell me some lies.
The servants called them malenchki, little ghosts, because they were the smallest and the youngest...

Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha…and the secrets of her heart

Orphaned by the Border Wars, Alina Starkov is taken from obscurity and her only friend, Mal, to become the protege of the mysterious Darkling, who trains her to join the magical elite in the belief that she is the Sun Summoner, who can destroy the monsters of the Fold.… (more)

213 wanted4 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,561,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible