Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy) by Leigh…

Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy) (edition 2012)

by Leigh Bardugo

Series: Grisha (1)

Title:Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy)
Authors:Leigh Bardugo
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente (MyriadBooks)
    Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman (bluehighlighter)
    The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both books have an ordinary human girl who is orphaned but learns that she has great power to change the world.
    A Heroine of the World by Tanith Lee (kylenapoli)

What an amazing beginning to a series! It has a bit of everything – realism, magic, romance, action, adventure. With a strong heroine, the story passes all too quickly. The locale is simultaneously exotic and yet familiar with its Russian, Asian, and Norse derivatives. No wonder this has been such a popular series over the years!
  jmchshannon | Sep 23, 2015 |
Wonderful fantasy, set in a vaguely Russian-esque land called Ravka--the fantasy versions of Russian places and culture were fascinating to me. Great fantastical creatures (the evil "volcra") and a unique form of magic users, the Grisha: some who affect the Living and the Dead, others who can Fabrikate things, or who are Healers, Tidemakers, Inferni, etc. Quite interesting learning about all of them, and how some people are Amplifiers of others' magic. Wonderful romance, too, which I'm always a sucker for. I have to reread this before I dive into the second and third books; shame on me for putting them off so long! ( )
  GoldieBug | Sep 19, 2015 |
likable characters, good story development, fairly good struggle, good contrasts
the author has little to no concept of agrarian subsistence living and thus, as is all too common these days, repeatedly and shamelessly panders to modern American sensibilities. While it is always frustrating, I guess this title was otherwise good enough that it irritated me.
overall will read more from this author ( )
  jason9292 | Sep 13, 2015 |
really enjoyed this book, I don't really read a lot of fantasy, however I am gradually weaning myself in slowly.

Shadow and Bone is told by Alina's POV throughout the book. The story starts off slow with story of Alina and Mal becoming orphans and meeting some Grisha and then jumps to present day and goes at a fairly good pace throughout the book.

The book is set in russian-esque setting and makes the story feel more mystical.. There seems to be magic but not a lot of mystical creatures the main being the Volcra.

The book does jump back and forward in time from when Alina and Mal were growing up to flashbacks and present day, however the time period in which the story is set is not clear.

There is a map at the front of the book which helped a lot with the world building as I could follow Alina on her travels. The world building was fantastic as I felt I was there beside them witnessing this surreal world and the Volcra.

I had a few problems with the book:

How is the darkling 120 years old but looks the same age as Alina? There is not much of a back story to the Darkling. Yeah he lived so long because of his powers, but the book didn't delve into Grisha's life expectancy, this is something minor but I need to know these things.

The world of Grisha is very vain and annoying, they all have to be beautiful and if their not, they have somebody who can make them *perfect* so to speak. All the clothes and the setting that they reside has to be nothing but sheer beauty and the best.

I thought Alina was annoying, very shallow and her feelings of being inept was getting on my nerves. Mal was portrayed as being a player at the start of the book but actually he is a very sweet and caring guy who will do anything for Alina

I found it a bit confusing when they called 'the unsea' the shadow fold and also the color coding caste of the Grisha was a bit too much to get a grasp of, in the end I just let it go over my head as you didn't really need to know and wasnt necessary for you to be able to follow the storyline.

This book explores love triangles, forbidden love, betrayal, Vanity, Greed and war.

There is a lot of hype around this series with even Veronica Roth the author of Divergent quoting "unlike anything I have ever read" For me personally this book is good and an easy read, however I felt it could have been written and explained a bit better. ( )
  masonlou | Sep 12, 2015 |
Alina Starkov and her childhood playmate and fellow orphan, Mal are drafted into an army and sent to cross the Fold, a place of darkness where terrifying creatures called volcra threaten the life of the soldiers. When her friends are attacked, Alina reveals a power she had no idea she possessed, and suddenly is whisked away to meet the Darkling and be trained as a Grisha. Separated from Mal, envied by some, feared by others, and treated with suspicion by most, Alina is easily lured by the luxury of her new life, the discovery of her powers and the allure of the Darkling. She discovers a secret however, and she is the only one with the power to battle head to head with the most powerful force in the kingdom. Warning. This is book one. You are going to want to buy book two and three just to have it on hand for when you finish the first one. It's REALLY good. ( )
  JRlibrary | Aug 6, 2015 |

Bardugo, Leighprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahrens, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, KeithMap artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, JenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, AprilDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha…and the secrets of her heart

Orphaned by the Border Wars, Alina Starkov is taken from obscurity and her only friend, Mal, to become the protegâe of the mysterious Darkling, who trains her to join the magical elite in the belief that she is the Sun Summoner, who can destroy the monsters of the Fold.… (more)

273 wanted4 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,766,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible