Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy) by Leigh…

Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy) (edition 2012)

by Leigh Bardugo

Series: Grisha (1)

Member:Sarah-D
Title:Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy)
Authors:Leigh Bardugo
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente (MyriadBooks)
    Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman (bluehighlighter)
    The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both books have an ordinary human girl who is orphaned but learns that she has great power to change the world.
    A Heroine of the World by Tanith Lee (kylenapoli)

I knew as soon as I saw that Veronica Roth blurbed this book that I probably wouldn't like it, but like an idiot, I proceeded. But it's so highly rated! But people really seem to like it! But but but!

This book sucked.

It's not very often when I actually HATE a book, but I hate this book. I hated it from page one. I hated it as I gave up at page 127 and decided to just skim the rest of the story. And I hated it when I finally finished it and was like, "why did I waste time reading this book?"

First off, if you're going to try to make the book feel Russian and incorporate obviously Russian elements into the story, then you should probably know what you're talking about. Kvas. I've had kvas, thanks to a Russian friend in college (who made it in her dorm, but that's another story). It doesn't taste good, but it's also about as alcoholic as kombucha (fermented tea). Which is to say, in Russia, small children drink kvas without anyone blinking an eye. And if you want to get drunk on kvas, you'd have to drink a couple of gallons of it. At least. And in Russia, there are ways to get drunk much faster than that.

Oh, and Alina Starkov? Wrong. Russian surnames are gendered - Alina should be Starkova, not Starkov. Apparently the author didn't bother looking into this.

Oh, someone could say, "but this isn't Russia, this is a fantasy set in a Russia-esque place! So naming conventions and kvas doesn't matter!" Yeah, whatever. If you're going to use it, use it right or don't use it at all. Make it up. That's like me saying, "Hey, I got drunk on Pepsi last night! What, Pepsi doesn't get you drunk? Uhh, well, I live in an American-esque world, so I can use Pepsi, and in MY WORLD it gets me drunk!" That just sounds stupid - because it IS stupid.

And if it wasn't for the Russian clusterfuck, I'd still hate this book. Why? Because Alina is stupid. She's so freaking obsessed with her looks - oh noes, she has brown hair and is TOO SKINNY! - and the looks of every other female around her. I am so sick of YA books where it's pitting the "ugly" girl against the "pretty" ones. So freaking sick, you have no idea. And why are the "ugly" girls in YA almost always with brown hair and too skinny? It's ridiculous. Oh, and even though Alina saw the Darkling RIP A MAN IN HALF in front of her, she takes every opportunity to try to piss him off about the littlest, most petty things. Smart move there, Starkov(a). I was rather hoping that the Darkling would rip her in half, but alas, no such luck. I think the book would have been much better had that happened.

To top it all off, this book is generic as fuck. For being a fantasy novel, there is absolutely nothing interesting here. I've read this book before, a dozen times at least, in different incarnations. I'm sick of it. Grow an original bone. Throw me something meatier than "oh woe is me, I'm so ugly and so poor and ooh now look, shiny things because I HAVE A SPECIAL POWER!!!!!!!!!" Ugh.

Not recommended. Will not be finishing the series. ( )
  schatzi | Jul 30, 2015 |
THAT is how you world-build, people! This book is so incredibly creative and original, and I love it SO MUCH. ( )
  dkgarner95 | Jul 29, 2015 |
All right, all right, I enjoyed it. There were plenty of flaws, but the story was good, I thought. However... I have a feeling the Russian stuff was butchered. I could be wrong, but usually YA books featuring some sort of foreign culture not written by someone who is of that culture/is very knowledgeable of that culture butcher it, unfortunately. I'll do some research, and then come back and review. For now, rating right off the bat, three stars. ( )
  KillerCorp | Jul 27, 2015 |
I like quite a few elements of the YA magic fantasy. The young female character suffers from lack of confidence has some romantic confusion and although the major symbols are dark vs light, provides quite a few shades in between. There is a good chance I will read the second and third novels in the trilogy. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
Leave me be in the fulfilling contentment this book brought me. I can't even form a coherent thought at the moment, let alone write a review. ( )
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |

Bardugo, Leighprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahrens, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, KeithMap artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, JenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, AprilDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandfather: Tell me some lies.
The servants called them malenchki, little ghosts, because they were the smallest and the youngest...

Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha…and the secrets of her heart

Orphaned by the Border Wars, Alina Starkov is taken from obscurity and her only friend, Mal, to become the protege of the mysterious Darkling, who trains her to join the magical elite in the belief that she is the Sun Summoner, who can destroy the monsters of the Fold.… (more)

379 wanted4 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,490,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible