Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy) by Leigh…

Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy) (edition 2012)

by Leigh Bardugo

Series: Grisha (1)

Member:Sarah-D
Title:Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy)
Authors:Leigh Bardugo
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente (MyriadBooks)
    The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both books have an ordinary human girl who is orphaned but learns that she has great power to change the world.
    A Heroine of the World by Tanith Lee (kylenapoli)

Alina is an ugly orphan who finds herself in the battlefield as a cartographer. She unlocks powers never seen before and is immediately whisked away to a palace to hone her powers for the greater good by the Darkling. She leaves behind her childhood friend Mal, also an orphan turned unparalleled tracker.

She comes into her own at the palace and becomes beautiful, talented, and the unwitting consort of the revered Darkling, pushing past her initial ugliness/weakness/obscurity/bullies.

Some quick remarks:
-The Russian names for the character and titles were a little off-putting, but as with any book, I adapted to the world system here.
-The magic system could have used more development. We get that Alina has special powers, but I would have loved a little more insight into either battle magic or the classifications of magic.
-I adored that Alina had very little wish-washy feelings between the two male leads.
-I disliked how the book seemed to be partitioned into three or four parts, yet had little content for each section. As an entire book it works, but I felt that all parts could have used a lot more development. This could have been an epic book, seriously.
-Interactions between characters were divine. And Alina and Mal are very easy to love and root for.
-I wish there was more development for the Darkling and his motivations behind everything.

Seems like I'm only complaining about the lack of development. But pretty much everything else was on point and a delightful read. Two stars because I can't imagine rereading it again. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

Some quick remarks:

NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
So only a sick and twisted person would still ship Alina and The Darkling right? .... well, I always knew something was off with me :P.

I wasn't that sure of what to expect when I started reading it, but I'll tell you one thing, this book was without a doubt so much better than I have hoped. I recommend this to anyone who likes fantasy YA books, well worth the read.This book... so many feels. Need my hands on the next one already damn it. ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
This book is the reason why I hate Goodreads' rating system.
Wonderful wonderful setting!
Inspired by Russia, the setting of the Grisha world is fenomenal. It took me quite a while to get into the book and, at most times, I wasn't very hooked on what could possibly happen next but I must point out that:
1 - Slow pacing
2 - Worth it once you're into it
3 - Hot/exciting male character
4 - Main character who is interesting but can get quite repetitive over her feelings
5 - Love triangle
6 - Beautiful descriptions
And much more could be said. Overall, Shadow and Bone is totally worth a read and I'll be definitely picking up the next one. My main issue with the book was, as I mentioned before, how slow the world built for me and, maybe I was only not focusing, but after finishing the book, I kept on having no clue what were some of the things mentioned.
THERE'S A HUGE PLOT TWIST. And that one surely made me want to keep on reading more and more. ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
This book is the reason why I hate Goodreads' rating system.
Wonderful wonderful setting!

Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, KeithMap artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, JenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, AprilDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandfather: Tell me some lies.
The servants called them malenchki, little ghosts, because they were the smallest and the youngest...

Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha…and the secrets of her heart

Orphaned by the Border Wars, Alina Starkov is taken from obscurity and her only friend, Mal, to become the protege of the mysterious Darkling, who trains her to join the magical elite in the belief that she is the Sun Summoner, who can destroy the monsters of the Fold.… (more)

213 wanted4 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,789,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible