Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy) by Leigh…

Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy) (edition 2012)

by Leigh Bardugo

Series: Grisha (1)

Member:Sarah-D
Title:Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy)
Authors:Leigh Bardugo
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente (MyriadBooks)
    Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman (bluehighlighter)
    The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both books have an ordinary human girl who is orphaned but learns that she has great power to change the world.
    A Heroine of the World by Tanith Lee (kylenapoli)

There are probably endless with reviews explaining what this book is about and if you are a reader of YA you have probably heard about this before. So I will just go straight ahead to what I think about this book.

Shadow and Bone is a great book...if I was younger (yes I am old and picky) or for instance never had read any books by Robin Hobb. But now since I'm old and since I have read Robin Hobb, well that means that YA books like this, never really get that interesting. Mainly because I think the book lacked any depth both to the characters and to the world. That doesn't mean that the book isn't any good. I liked it, liked it quite a lot in the beginning, I even thought that it would get a 4-star rating the first 1/3 of the book...but then it just lost steam and suddenly it was down to a stable 3-star rating instead. Which isn't bad...but I was hoping for a greater story. I wanted to be blown away by it, to love the characters, to immerse myself in the world. But I did not.

But that is just me. In the end, none of the characters really stood out for me. None did I really like. I mean I love dark characters (professor Snape is my favorite character in Harry Potter and I adore Darth Vader) but the Darkling? Meh! Boring and honestly a bit of a boring name/title.

I will probably read the next book...if I can get it very cheap..:P ( )
  MaraBlaise | Feb 9, 2016 |
Loved this, read in one sitting. A great world with interesting magic/power structure. Very enjoyable. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
I absolutely devoured this book, it was delicious.

At first I was not sure if I would like this book, but I decided to give it a chance and it sucked me in from the very first page. The world of Grisha was totally immersing and Alina came across as a heroine that was very genuine as a female character. I could really relate to her, and I did not want this book to end.

Its very easy to read and is fairly fast paced, I read this one within two days and already I am hungry for the sequel. This book was too short for my liking!

Highly recommended if you want to dip your toe into the fantasy genre, its a nice easy book. ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
This book was an interesting change of pace from the contemporary YA that I've been reading lately. I prefer when characters have actual names instead of, for example, "the darkling" and I found a lot of the vocabulary and imagery distracting, but overall it was a good read. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
Absolutely fantastic! I don't consider myself a hardcore fan of fantasy, but this book was beautifully created (vividly detailed world/powers) and Alina is an extremely realistic character, as are her relationships, whether friends or lovers or enemies. I was on the fence about reading this, and now I regret waiting so long. An amazing book, that I would recommend to anyone, whether a fantasy fan or not! ( )
  uhohxkate | Jan 31, 2016 |

Bardugo, Leighprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahrens, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, KeithMap artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, JenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, AprilDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha…and the secrets of her heart

Orphaned by the Border Wars, Alina Starkov is taken from obscurity and her only friend, Mal, to become the protegâe of the mysterious Darkling, who trains her to join the magical elite in the belief that she is the Sun Summoner, who can destroy the monsters of the Fold.… (more)

418 wanted5 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,201,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible