The Gathering Dark by Leigh Bardugo

The Gathering Dark (edition 2012)

by Leigh Bardugo

Series: Grisha (1)

2,2732132,813 (4)108
Member:wyvernfriend
Title:The Gathering Dark
Authors:Leigh Bardugo
Info:Indigo (2012), Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned, Read
Tags:fiction, read, 2012, library, december, fantasy, eastern european, romance, magic

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente (MyriadBooks)
    Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman (bluehighlighter)
    The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both books have an ordinary human girl who is orphaned but learns that she has great power to change the world.
    A Heroine of the World by Tanith Lee (kylenapoli)

English (210)  German (1)  All (1)  All (212)
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS BOOK! I don't have many words to say, but I was just so hooked onto it. I stopped halfway through siege and storm because someone had stolen my library copy, but I will surely be getting my own copies of these books so I can finish these stories. This has been my favorite book of all time, and so far nothing has topped it. I was extremely happy when Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo came out as well, and will be reading the duology as soon as I finish the Grisha Trilogy. At times, Alina would make me frustrated the way she was so easily falling for The Darkling, (although I had slowly fallen for him as well.) But, I was so upset when he turned out to truly be an evil man. I love Mal however, but that one part where he kissed a Grisha in the beginning that wasn't Alina had me angry along with her. Just by typing this now, I can see how much I loved reading that book, and how emotional it had made me feel as I read it. I will surely be finishing it soon. ( )
  Lena_L | Feb 11, 2017 |
I LOVED this book and I couldn't stop reading it although I had a huge exam today!! My heart stopped when the Darkling put the collar around Alina's neck but thank gods she found a way out. It reminded me of the scene in Queen of Shadows where Arobynn put the ring on Aelin's finger and I had a heart attack... I honestly thought she was going to be controlled by his forever... I also thought Mal was going to die and I'm so glad he didn't. Although I don't love him as a character yet (I certainly don't dislike him. it's just that I feel he hasn't developed much as a character) but I can't wait to get to know more about him in the next book. At first I shipped Alina with the Darkling because I thought they would make a great couple with both of them being extremely powerful Grishas and MY HEART WAS SHATTERED IN PIECES WHEN THE TRUTH WAS REVEALED!! Darkling, how dare you betray me like that!! I believed in you!! Even though I knew you would turn out to be a villain!! I still don't own the second book and I'm going to go insane if I don't get it soon! ( )
  bookishpeach240 | Feb 7, 2017 |
When her best friend’s life is in danger, Alina Starkov reveals a power she never knew she had. She is torn away from the world she knows to be trained to fight monsters from the Shadow Fold, an impenetrable darkness that is tearing the world in two.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Jan 31, 2017 |
Rounding up from 4.5 stars :) ( )
  Gaiagirlie | Jan 12, 2017 |
BLURB: The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.

Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite—the Grisha. Could she be the key to unravelling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free?

The Darkling, a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfill her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.

But what of Mal, Alina’s childhood best friend? As Alina contemplates her dazzling new future, why can’t she ever quite forget him?

Glorious. Epic. Irresistible. Romance.

RATING: 5 stars for Shadow and Bone By: Leigh Bardugo
STARTED: APRIL 13,2014
FINISHED: APRIL 19,2014

REVIEW: Beside the wonderful story line I think that the first 20-5=60 pages had me going around trying to research words, and then it clicked, and I found all of them learned all of them, and eventually this book became one of my bests! Like I said, this book was absolutely wonderful, and has a great plot! This book follows of Alina - (the main character) who has power that she did not realize she had until they ran tests on her , before all of this her biggest companion was Mal- a tracker. They have different lives in the town of Ravka, and go through it step by step no matter what, people named Grisha have different abilities almost no one else has. Then, Alina discovered she was a Sun Summoner as she was fighting off volcra- which are one of the many creatures living in the Shadow Fold that feasts on human flesh. The only thing that can harm a volcra is sunlight.(CITATION:"Volcra." Shadow And Bone Wiki. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Apr. 2014) So, Alina is now the one and only Sun Summoner, and her whole life changes.
The story is a little slow at first, so don't just put it down keep reading! You'll get a hold of it! My favorite character was Mal, because he just clicked with me, and made the whole book better when he was around even if he was making Alina unhappy, or mad. My least favorite character is The Darkling because he tries to manipulate Alina, and do alot of stuff that unfolds in the book, so get reading!If you want to find out more come get a copy from the library!
  christopher.kyle1706 | Dec 8, 2016 |

Bardugo, Leighprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahrens, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, KeithMap artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, JenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, AprilDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandfather: Tell me some lies.
The servants called them malenchki, little ghosts, because they were the smallest and the youngest...

Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha…and the secrets of her heart

Orphaned by the Border Wars, Alina Starkov is taken from obscurity and her only friend, Mal, to become the protegâe of the mysterious Darkling, who trains her to join the magical elite in the belief that she is the Sun Summoner, who can destroy the monsters of the Fold.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,451,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible