False Memory by Dan Krokos

False Memory (edition 2012)

by Dan Krokos

Member:readr
Title:False Memory
Authors:Dan Krokos
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Abandoned
Rating:*
Tags:fiction, adventure, mystery, thriller, teen

False Memory by Dan Krokos

Not feeling this one right now. I won't call it an official DNF, yet, but it's officially put down for now.
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
Miranda wakes up one day on a park bench with no memory of her getting there. She walks into a mall and releases a lot of energy that causes trouble. One of her friends named Peter helps her calm down and get back to safety, their home which is hidden in the woods so no one can find them. Peter and Miranda are instructed to find Noah and Olive who have gone off on a runaway to hide from their enemy. The four teenagers last name are the same as the compass rose directions. The teenagers must fight their clones that have been made by their enemy in different cities. The also need to find a guy named Rhys whom is to help them accomplish their mission.

I really enjoyed this book because of all of the action and suspense. I recommend it to those who like these teen books and like to read about how teen romance can be inflicted by just a little spark of intensive movement. I don't really know if there really is a possible way for anyone to lose their memory completely. I think it would be really cool if we had clones of ourselves. I think that someone could like this book as much as me. Its really cool the way the author describes the plot and people. It may sound like a psychotic book with mind reading and things like that but its more likely people losing their memory if they don't take this special medicine. ( )
  NagisaR.B3 | Dec 30, 2013 |
Very fast-paced, very interesting ethical dilemmas, twisty. Because of the nature of the characters, not so much "character development." ( )
  Brainannex | Oct 25, 2013 |
RATING: 3.5 stars.

At first I thought this one was pretty formulaic, but the author threw in some twists I wasn't expecting.

Confusing in places especially in the romance parts, but overall, a good read with action, a kick-ass heroine and a lot of sci-fi elements.

Curious about where the series is going.

Review to come (maybe). ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
Last night I was on a date with my husband and he brought up the subject of men writing from the perspective of a first-person narrator who is female. He had just read a short story (by
[a:Hampton Fancher|75806|Hampton Fancher|https://www.goodreads.com/assets/nophoto/nophoto-U-50x66-251a730d696018971ef4a443cdeaae05.jpg] maybe?) in which he wasn’t initially sure whether the narrator was a man or a woman. David (my husband), who is a brilliant and prolific writer, is unusually good, for a straight man, at writing female characters with a female voice—some of his best-loved characters are female—but as he writes for television, this has never really come up for him before. He was confused as to what it is about the feminine experience (particularly that of teenagers) that men have a hard time capturing.

And this is why I so admire what Dan Krokos has done with False Memory. Miranda North is a complex, strong, genuinely female character. Beyond that, the novel’s supporting characters are a pretty even split of strong men and women with distinctive personalities. I know. Crazy.

The novel opens with Miranda wandering through a mall, with no specific memories of anything but her name. Things deteriorate pretty quickly, and after the mall clears out, with five people having plunged over the railing to their deaths, our heroine is left alone with one teenage boy—Peter—in the food court. And Peter is unaffected by whatever terrified everyone else.

I was initially annoyed by the protagonist’s memory loss, and it seemed to kind of function as an exposition machine in a way that is very convenient for the author, but I got over that pretty quickly as I became immersed in this world where Miranda, Peter, Noah, and Olive have a condition that requires them to take a shot every morning to prevent them from developing crazy amnesia. This is also the point where I began to suspect the book’s title of being a massive fucking spoiler.

He skids to a stop and I almost crash into him. I steady myself with a palm on his back. Instantly I want to take my hand away, but he pretends not to notice, and I don’t want to be awkward.

Miranda’s voice, and the feel we get for the other characters through her, is strong and distinctive enough to have kept me going when the first third of the book began to have that awful teenagers-on-a-scavenger-hunt feel, and I’m glad I did, because it really blossoms into a rich, well-drawn story.

The action is really well done, too--fully half of this book is people fighting each other (with swords, sticks, rocks, guns, etc.) or climbing/jumping off buildings, and it's all described just beautifully. In fact, the author's descriptive language throughout the novel is fantastic--he shows admirable restraint with adverbs while managing not to sketch things out in too spare a manner.

Even the love triangle didn’t bother me, in part because by the end of the novel it ‘s essentially a love pyramid, which feels like how relationships function in real life, but also because the protagonist is essentially two people—the girl she was before the amnesia set in, and the girl who wakes up and accidentally kills a bunch of people in a mall. She can remember bits of her relationship with Noah, but they don’t connect to any emotions within her because romantic feelings have to grow organically.

I could write about this book all day. It's really good Science Fiction, and it should appeal to an audience outside the YA world. I highly recommend it.
  KateBond | Sep 20, 2013 |

Soon after seventeen-year-old Miranda awakens with no memory, she discovers that she can release a mysterious energy that incites pure terror in everyone around her except Peter, who tells her she is part of an elite force of genetically-altered teens.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,710,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible