Capital by John Lanchester

Capital (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Lanchester

Member:othurtle
Title:Capital
Authors:John Lanchester
Info:Faber and Faber Fiction (2012), Edition: 1st Edition 2nd Printing, Kindle Edition, 592 pages
Tags:Novel

Capital by John Lanchester (2012)

A Week in December by Sebastian Faulks (sanddancer, Nickelini)
    Full of Life by John Fante (albavirtual)
    albavirtual: Los Ángeles como reflejo del mito "American way of life" en la década de los 50.
    Un giorno perfetto by Melania G. Mazzucco (albavirtual)
    albavirtual: Respecto a "Capital" se cambia protagonista: Roma por Londrés.
    The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (jll1976)

English (42)  German (1)  Piratical (1)  Spanish (1)  English (45)
A great big fat Brit novel, opening with strange postcards being sent to residents of upscale Pepys Road, London: WE WANT WHAT YOU HAVE. Well, who wouldn't? It's mostly mansions full of rich people in the runup to the financial crisis. But there's also a Pakistani family-owned corner shop, a Polish contractor, a Hungarian nanny, a traffic warden, and an elderly lady dying of cancer, with a secret in the attic. The rich family, especially the horribly spoiled Real Housewife of London, provides great contrast to the other neighbors who are just trying to get by. Multi PoVs, humor, and realism make this a perfect read for a few long winter's days. And it's not predictable at all. No stereotypes allowed. ( )
  froxgirl | Nov 30, 2016 |
apr 2013
masterpiece
mine was published 2012 ( )
  MatkaBoska | Jun 15, 2016 |
We Want What You Have..... the residents of Pepys Road are targeted by a campaign of cards with pictures their front doors on them. Then we get meet the people behind the doors, I won't go into analyzing the characters except to say they all want more than they have. Some with good reason.

I enjoy books about London even though I don't live there anymore, and have to say this book spent some time on my Kindle before I started it but its one book that I would read again. ( )
  paperlesspages | May 3, 2016 |
The stories of some of the inhabitants of Pepys Road, London, whose houses are worth a lot of money and who start receiving postcards with the message "We Want What You Have" written on them. This campaign becomes more sinister, but, for me at least, the campaign was the most forgettable thing about the novel; indeed I did forget all about it from time to time. The narrative switches between different characters including an ineffectual City banker and his appalling wife, his malicious deputy at work, their Hungarian nanny, and their Polish builder. Then there is Petunia, who is dying of a brain tumour, her daughter, her Banksy-like artist grandson, her grandson's assistant and the assistant's girlfriend. The third main cluster is the Kamal family, who run the corner shop, consisting of three brothers (one with a family) and their nightmare mother from Lahore.

I found the other storyline surrounding Freddy the football player fairly interesting, but he never really seemed to belong to Pepys Road and Quentina's story was barely linked to the others' at all. It was also sadder than seemed appropriate for the book as a whole. I found this novel very readable, but I had to take regular breaks because it was unrelentingly depressing and sad. There were tiny occasional flashes of humour, but mainly the story consisted of bad things happening to people. While they sometimes deserved what they got, they were usually passive victims of circumstances and the decisions of others, which was frustrating. I had high hopes for some comedy from the visit of Mrs Kamal, but the story went in another direction.

Very British - the entire prologue consists of a discussion of property price fluctuations and I have to admit it drew me in! ( )
  pgchuis | May 3, 2016 |
Imagine a Hummingbird Cam, flying around and over an older residential street somewhere in London, buzzing the houses, darting randomly from one to another, swooping in low and hovering for a brief period, then abruptly lifting up and away to another distraction. That’s what reading this book is like.

This panoramic novel unfolds during 2008 over the beginning of the financial meltdown. It is set on the fictional street of Pepys Rd (Lanchester said he based it on streets in his own residential area of Clapham, London, which has been “bankerised” by the wealthy who commute to the City), in the Capital city of London. The residents include a wealthy trader and his obscenely entitled wife, a Muslim family running the local shop (and given the stereotypes in the book, one fears that the token Muslim family has a strong chance of leading to either terrorism or false accusations of such later in the book), a dying old lady, a Polish tradesman serving up his labour for the wealthy, a couple of recent immigrants from Africa, and several others. They all have different story lines, and the chapters hop around back and forth visiting and revisiting the characters. They are pulled together by the common thread of all receiving mysterious messages in various forms, all saying “We Want What You Have”.

There are so many characters that they tend to feel either a bit flat and anonymous, or else outlandishy cartoonish, as with the wealthy wife Arabella. Some of them, such as the Zimbabwean refugee traffic warden, who has a degree in political science, are showing the edges of a potentially really interesting story, but there just isnt time for follow through.

The writing is serviceable but often plodding: “Arabella knew that if she drank any more she would have a hangover and part of the point of being in this luxury spa was to go home looking and feeling fabulous, so she went to her room and read a novel set in Afghanistan until she realised she had fallen asleep twice already, and so she put the book down and turned out the light.” Cliches (“Shit flows downhill”) occasionally intrude, weakening the structure.

Most of the characters themselves want what someone else has. Some of them think they are in control of their lives, but so many extrinsic forces can distort the course of lives that sometimes free will seems only illusory. Given the time period, we know that the financial crisis, and the flow of financial capital is going to play a significant role in the book. It is also about the social capital too. Slowly we do become at least a bit invested in some of the characters, and this keeps the pages turning.

This is being widely touted for the Booker longlist, to be announced next week. It will be interesting to see if it makes it.
3 1/2 stars, generously rounded up. ( )
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
Alle Bewohner der Pepys Road suchen nach ihrem Glück: Roger Yount ist ein erfolgreicher Banker - mit zwei Kindern und einer verwöhnten Ehefrau. Dass er nicht die erwartete 1 Million Pfund Jahresprämie erhält, stürzt die Familie in eine Krise. Nebenan zieht die senegalesische Fußballhoffnung Freddy Kamo mit seinem Vater ein - wird ihm der internationale Durchbruch in einem Premier-League-Club gelingen? Petunia Howe lebte schon in der Pepys Road, als diese noch eine einfache Arbeiterstraße war. Pakistanische Kioskbesitzer stehen unter Terrorverdacht, die nigerianische Politesse ohne Arbeitserlaubnis schreibt Strafzettel und der polnische Handwerker Zbigniew liebt die Frauen, und die Frauen lieben ihn. An einem ganz normalen Tag liegt bei allen stolzen Eigenheimbesitzern dieser Straße eine merkwürdige Nachricht im Briefkasten: »Wir wollen, was ihr habt.« Ein Roman voller Mitgefühl, Humor und Protagonisten, die man nicht mehr missen möchte.
added by ImmerLesen | editKlappentext

For Jesse and Finn
and Miranda
At first light on a late summer morning, a man in a hooded sweatshirt moved softly and slowly along an ordinary-looking street in South London.

At 40, Roger Yount is blessed with an expensive life, a stalled marriage and a job in the City. His hoped-for Christmas bonus of a million pounds might seem lavish, but with second homes and nannies to maintain it's starting to look more like a necessity.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,720,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible