Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka…

Tell the Wolves I'm Home (2012)

by Carol Rifka Brunt

English (149)  Swedish (1)  All languages (150)
Immediately arresting with fascinating characters. I particularly related because it was set in 1987 when I was in high school. The fourteen-year-old narrator is excellent but unreliable because of her immature and limited viewpoint. The eighties authenticity was well-executed especially regarding early reactions to the AIDS epidemic. The way each of the characters dealt with grief and loss felt quite real. This book is definitely a character-driven story where the relationships ARE the story. Bits and pieces of the story felt (continued)...http://www.theloopylibrarian.com/book-review-tell-wolves-im-home-carol-rifka-brunt/ ( )
  TheLoopyLibrarian | Apr 4, 2016 |
Read this one for my neighborhood book group and the overall consensus was that this was a very moving and powerful read. Many of us were in high school or college in the early eighties and many of the references felt perfectly woven into the story.

It reminded me of many of the after-school special I watched as a kid.

This is a debut by the author I can't wait to see what she writes about next. ( )
  yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
The setting is this book's only distinguishing feature. The story (what little there is) meander's on at a snail's pace. Why this was on a YA reading list I'll never know. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
I thought I might finish this book out of curiosity as to how some things were going to be resolved or come to a close, but in the end, I decided there were other things I'd much rather be reading. Too much drawn out teenaged angst and some unconvincing plot lines for me. ( )
1 vote KylaS | Feb 18, 2016 |
For Maddy, Oakley, and Julia
My sister, Greta, and I were having our portrait painted by our uncle Finn that afternoon because he knew he was dying.
You could try to believe what you wanted, but it never worked. Your brain and your heart decided what you were going to believe and that was that. Whether you liked it or not.
You could never see any wolves in there. They hid, probably trying to pretend they weren't in a cage. Probably knowing that they looked just like plain old dogs when they were behind bars.
The gold in our hair looked so perfect right then, and I knew we both saw it. We could see the way it made us look like the closest of sisters. Girls made of exactly the same stuff.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679644199, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, June 2012: In Tell the Wolves I’m Home, Carol Rifka Brunt has made a singular portrait of the late-‘80s AIDS epidemic’s transformation of a girl and her family. But beyond that, she tells a universal story of how love chooses us, and how flashes of our beloved live through us even after they’re gone. Before her Uncle Finn died of an illness people don’t want to talk about, 14-year-old June Elbus thought she was the center of his world. A famous and reclusive painter, Finn made her feel uniquely understood, privy to secret knowledge like how to really hear Mozart’s Requiem or see the shape of negative space. When he’s gone, she discovers he had a bigger secret: his longtime partner Toby, the only other person who misses him as much as she does. Her clandestine friendship with Toby—who her parents blame for Finn’s illness—sharpens tensions with her sister, Greta, until their bond seems to exist only in the portrait Finn painted of them. With wry compassion, Brunt portrays the bitter lengths to which we will go to hide our soft underbellies, and how summoning the courage to be vulnerable is the only way to see through to each other’s hungry, golden souls. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:21 -0400)

"1987. The only one person who has ever truly understood fourteen-year-old June Elbus is her uncle, the renowned painter Finn Weiss. Shy at school and distant from her older sister, June can only be herself in Finn's company; he is her godfather, confidant, and best friend. So when he dies, far too young, of a mysterious illness her mother can barely speak about, June's world is turned upside down. But Finn's death brings a surprise acquaintance into June's life ... June realizes she's not the only one who misses Finn, and that this unexpected friend just might be the one she needs the most"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,791,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible