Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka…

Tell the Wolves I'm Home (2012)

by Carol Rifka Brunt

English (182)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (184)
A beautiful coming-of-age story, but so much more. A love triangle in a most nontraditional sense. Sibling love and hate, all mixed up together, all too traditional, and a sick uncle and a portrait. This isn't a thriller or action packed, and it isn't a romance, but it is one of those books that can worm its way into hearts. I couldn't wait to get to the end; I didn't want it to end. It makes me want to give my sister and my uncle a hug. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Aug 20, 2018 |
A wonderful book about the relationship between an awkward young girl and her charismatic uncle. It is also about her relationship with her sister, her mother , kids at school etc. All read so true. The book is well written and mesmerizing. It takes the reader back to the days when AIDS was fairly new and misunderstood. This is a debut novel and it is so well written - can't wait for more from this author! ( )
1 vote Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
The author portrayed the discrimination of AIDS victims during that era correctly. The relationships between the characters and all the emotions that each one was experiencing was written beautifully. Heart breaking story through and through. Even long after I finished the last pages I couldn't stop reminiscing about it. I cried throughout the book. ( )
  nu-bibliophile | Jul 18, 2018 |
I will be rather surprised if this book doesn't get made into a movie. It's easy to follow the cinematic trail throughout the narrative. Early on, in reading it, I also felt it would be a good companion to The Perks of Being a Wallflower, which is currently out as a movie, and which I enjoyed a great deal. So, why did I give Tell the Wolves a lesser rating than Perks? Is it because Perks has a boy and Tell the Wolves has a girl and I'm a male? Perhaps, (I did like the boy as a person more than I did the girl) but, if anything, Tell the Wolves has a narrative about the dynamics of childhood siblings that is very much closer to my own life. No, the author is very good and is likely to provide more good works in the future, but there were areas where I thought she could have done better. I much prefer a concise writing style. I don't need flowery language or the same point made ten different ways, and I also don't want a writer slowly creeping up to the point that needs to be made. And while the author's style isn't really guilty of the first two "sins", at too many times, I felt I was in one of those slow progressions like long ticket lines and too many serial TV shows. The book could have been shorter. Many readers will not agree with me. The beauty of the book comes from the interaction and dialogue between the main character and a character that doesn't even appear until well into the book. This is a "real" relationship. What makes it all the more interesting is that it is an entirely different relationship that seems to drive the whole storyline. And neither of these relationships is the one between the main character and her sister, which is also important, if not also a little predictable. All in all, I enjoyed this book much more than my rating may imply. It's one of the few books that I thing my wife will enjoy as much as I did. I recommend it. ( )
  larryerick | Apr 26, 2018 |
I am not usually into contemporary books, but I gave this one a shot after hearing some good reviews. This story follows 14 year old June Elbus as she struggles with the loss of her Uncle Finn (who died from AIDS). She is deeply hurt by his death and her sister's mean attitude towards her/the death. June discovers that her uncle had a boyfriend, whom he loved very much, and begins to get to know him, and through him, her uncle better. This story is very touching. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
For Maddy, Oakley, and Julia
My sister, Greta, and I were having our portrait painted by our uncle Finn that afternoon because he knew he was dying.
You could try to believe what you wanted, but it never worked. Your brain and your heart decided what you were going to believe and that was that. Whether you liked it or not.
You could never see any wolves in there. They hid, probably trying to pretend they weren't in a cage. Probably knowing that they looked just like plain old dogs when they were behind bars.
The gold in our hair looked so perfect right then, and I knew we both saw it. We could see the way it made us look like the closest of sisters. Girls made of exactly the same stuff.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679644199, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, June 2012: In Tell the Wolves I’m Home, Carol Rifka Brunt has made a singular portrait of the late-‘80s AIDS epidemic’s transformation of a girl and her family. But beyond that, she tells a universal story of how love chooses us, and how flashes of our beloved live through us even after they’re gone. Before her Uncle Finn died of an illness people don’t want to talk about, 14-year-old June Elbus thought she was the center of his world. A famous and reclusive painter, Finn made her feel uniquely understood, privy to secret knowledge like how to really hear Mozart’s Requiem or see the shape of negative space. When he’s gone, she discovers he had a bigger secret: his longtime partner Toby, the only other person who misses him as much as she does. Her clandestine friendship with Toby—who her parents blame for Finn’s illness—sharpens tensions with her sister, Greta, until their bond seems to exist only in the portrait Finn painted of them. With wry compassion, Brunt portrays the bitter lengths to which we will go to hide our soft underbellies, and how summoning the courage to be vulnerable is the only way to see through to each other’s hungry, golden souls. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:21 -0400)

"1987. The only one person who has ever truly understood fourteen-year-old June Elbus is her uncle, the renowned painter Finn Weiss. Shy at school and distant from her older sister, June can only be herself in Finn's company; he is her godfather, confidant, and best friend. So when he dies, far too young, of a mysterious illness her mother can barely speak about, June's world is turned upside down. But Finn's death brings a surprise acquaintance into June's life ... June realizes she's not the only one who misses Finn, and that this unexpected friend just might be the one she needs the most"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,848,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible