Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka…

Tell the Wolves I'm Home (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Carol Rifka Brunt, Amy Rubinate (Reader)

Member:akh3966
Title:Tell the Wolves I'm Home
Authors:Carol Rifka Brunt
Other authors:Amy Rubinate (Reader)
Info:Blackstone Audio, Inc. (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (2012)

Recently added bychronic, Dianekeenoy, AthensHighLibrary, R_B, jnoble82, NANMON, LitaVore, private library, rjmoir

English (165)  Swedish (1)  All (166)
Wonderfully human and heartbreaking. ( )
  chronic | Mar 23, 2017 |
An accomplished first novel, with no trace of false sentiment. Carol Rifka Brunt has taken the familiar themes of sibling rivalry, sibling love, family dynamics, coming-of-age, jealousy, death, regret, and love and has given them a new depth of meaning. ( )
  maryhollis | Feb 20, 2017 |
I really REALLY loved this book and would highly recommend it. It's such a simple beautiful story, told so very well. I was on an airplane and people must have thought I was a little crazy reading for hours and hours, smiling and laughing and then crying. It had me from the very beginning and I couldn't put it down. Couldn't recommend this much more..... ( )
1 vote dmbkel41 | Dec 7, 2016 |
What a lovely book. I bought it for a 15 year old friend and then felt like I should o read it myself in case she wanted to talk about it and I'm so glad I did. After her beloved uncle dies of AIDS, June is contacted by his boyfriend - after being forbidden by her parents to ever be in touch with him - and their ensuing friendship is beautifully told. I also liked the side-plot about June's sister. I have a few quibbles but they are minor.

I'm usually iffy on books with a self-consciously quirky teenager narrator but I thoroughly believed in June.

It also reminded me of how much I hate Ronald Reagan - never a bad thing. ( )
1 vote laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
Finished this book and im not even sure if i like it.... Hahaha i liked certain aspects of it. I liked June, even if she got annoying at times. ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
For Maddy, Oakley, and Julia
My sister, Greta, and I were having our portrait painted by our uncle Finn that afternoon because he knew he was dying.
You could try to believe what you wanted, but it never worked. Your brain and your heart decided what you were going to believe and that was that. Whether you liked it or not.
You could never see any wolves in there. They hid, probably trying to pretend they weren't in a cage. Probably knowing that they looked just like plain old dogs when they were behind bars.
The gold in our hair looked so perfect right then, and I knew we both saw it. We could see the way it made us look like the closest of sisters. Girls made of exactly the same stuff.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679644199, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, June 2012: In Tell the Wolves I’m Home, Carol Rifka Brunt has made a singular portrait of the late-‘80s AIDS epidemic’s transformation of a girl and her family. But beyond that, she tells a universal story of how love chooses us, and how flashes of our beloved live through us even after they’re gone. Before her Uncle Finn died of an illness people don’t want to talk about, 14-year-old June Elbus thought she was the center of his world. A famous and reclusive painter, Finn made her feel uniquely understood, privy to secret knowledge like how to really hear Mozart’s Requiem or see the shape of negative space. When he’s gone, she discovers he had a bigger secret: his longtime partner Toby, the only other person who misses him as much as she does. Her clandestine friendship with Toby—who her parents blame for Finn’s illness—sharpens tensions with her sister, Greta, until their bond seems to exist only in the portrait Finn painted of them. With wry compassion, Brunt portrays the bitter lengths to which we will go to hide our soft underbellies, and how summoning the courage to be vulnerable is the only way to see through to each other’s hungry, golden souls. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:21 -0400)

"1987. The only one person who has ever truly understood fourteen-year-old June Elbus is her uncle, the renowned painter Finn Weiss. Shy at school and distant from her older sister, June can only be herself in Finn's company; he is her godfather, confidant, and best friend. So when he dies, far too young, of a mysterious illness her mother can barely speak about, June's world is turned upside down. But Finn's death brings a surprise acquaintance into June's life ... June realizes she's not the only one who misses Finn, and that this unexpected friend just might be the one she needs the most"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,214,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible