Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka…

Tell the Wolves I'm Home (edition 2012)

by Carol Rifka Brunt, Amy Rubinate (Reader)

1,2041076,655 (4.17)66
Member:akh3966
Title:Tell the Wolves I'm Home
Authors:Carol Rifka Brunt
Other authors:Amy Rubinate (Reader)
Info:Blackstone Audio, Inc. (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

English (105)  Swedish (1)  All languages (106)
I never know whether to post about books that I refuse to finish. I thought this story started out well but quickly got repetitive, boring, and a little disconcerting. The young teen girl is a overly attached to her maternal uncle, who dies of AIDS. The uncle's gay partner finds the girl and seeks out a friendship with her, secretly making plans with her behind her parents' backs and sharing information about her uncle to her. He also encourages her to smoke and drink alcohol and act in deceptive ways. Halfway through I was both disturbed by his role (what adult male is interested in a young teen girl???) and the fact that he appeared to be the good guy of the story. Eventually, I was bored and didn't want to see where the story was going so I gave this one up. ( )
  voracious | Jul 28, 2014 |
One of my new favorites. This isn't a fast, action packed novel-it's far more subtle which allows you to really sink into the characters' world. Brunt paints such a lovely picture of love, loss, family, envy, and coming of age. Bittersweet and moving. I've already given it as a gift to someone. ( )
  LaurenMae85 | Jul 14, 2014 |
I picked this book up by chance and am so glad I did! Brunt's ability to bring June's feelings to life was amazing. I grieved for June's lost relationship with Greta and was excited for her new-found relationship with Toby. As she searches for a way to hold her to dead uncle, she finds a way to connect with her sister and bring her family together. Along the way, she learns that life isn't always what is appears to be. Finn had a life that June knew nothing about. Greta would use alcohol to cope. June chose to venture to New York, without telling her parents, and build a relationship with Toby. She chose to show Toby the same unconditional love that Finn showed her. ( )
  eliza_jane | Jul 8, 2014 |
This book! THIS. BOOK. Aargh, this book made me feel so make so much. I am not someone who waxes on and on about that delights of books. Ok, who am I kidding? Yes, I totally am, however, this review is completely true. I really LOVED this book. June was me, I was June. I felt every bit of heartache when she did. I worried when she worried about Greta, her sister. I was embarrassed when she was embarrassed about who she loved. This book did that. And I loved every moment of it. I almost want to read it again but I am worried that I won't enjoy it as much the second time because you can't go back sometimes. Just like June discovers in the book. Gah, I love this book so flipping much. ( )
  kitten20057 | Jul 5, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book quite a lot. I related to June, the shy, different child, who is lucky enough to find a positive, life-changing relationship with a non-parental adult - her uncle and then Toby. I think another reviewer was on to something, though, when he or she mentioned that it would have enhanced the book to include more details about what it was like for those dealing with AIDs during those times. On the other hand, all the secrets about it were realistic. The sidetrack about the sister in the woods did not work for me at all. I kept expecting that something sinister was happening to her and that seemed overly complex given the already complex nature of the themes in the main plot. Worrying about how it didn't fit in took some of my attention away from the story line ( )
  EllsieFind | Jun 7, 2014 |
For Maddy, Oakley, and Julia
My sister, Greta, and I were having our portrait painted by our uncle Finn that afternoon because he knew he was dying.
You could try to believe what you wanted, but it never worked. Your brain and your heart decided what you were going to believe and that was that. Whether you liked it or not.
You could never see any wolves in there. They hid, probably trying to pretend they weren't in a cage. Probably knowing that they looked just like plain old dogs when they were behind bars.
The gold in our hair looked so perfect right then, and I knew we both saw it. We could see the way it made us look like the closest of sisters. Girls made of exactly the same stuff.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679644199, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, June 2012: In Tell the Wolves I’m Home, Carol Rifka Brunt has made a singular portrait of the late-‘80s AIDS epidemic’s transformation of a girl and her family. But beyond that, she tells a universal story of how love chooses us, and how flashes of our beloved live through us even after they’re gone. Before her Uncle Finn died of an illness people don’t want to talk about, 14-year-old June Elbus thought she was the center of his world. A famous and reclusive painter, Finn made her feel uniquely understood, privy to secret knowledge like how to really hear Mozart’s Requiem or see the shape of negative space. When he’s gone, she discovers he had a bigger secret: his longtime partner Toby, the only other person who misses him as much as she does. Her clandestine friendship with Toby—who her parents blame for Finn’s illness—sharpens tensions with her sister, Greta, until their bond seems to exist only in the portrait Finn painted of them. With wry compassion, Brunt portrays the bitter lengths to which we will go to hide our soft underbellies, and how summoning the courage to be vulnerable is the only way to see through to each other’s hungry, golden souls. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:58 -0400)

It is 1987, and only one person has ever truly understood fourteen-year-old June Elbus -- her uncle, the renowned painter Finn Weiss. Shy at school and distant from her older sister, June can only be herself in Finn's company; he is her godfather, confidant, and best friend. So when he dies, far too young, of a mysterious illness her mother can barely speak about, June's world is turned upside down. But Finn's death brings a surprise acquaintance into June's life -- someone who will help her to heal, and to question what she thinks she knows about Finn, her family, and even her own heart.… (more)

513 wanted2 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,700,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible