Tell the wolves I'm home : a novel by…

Tell the wolves I'm home : a novel (edition 2012)

by Carol Rifka Brunt

Member:twinkley
Title:Tell the wolves I'm home : a novel
Authors:Carol Rifka Brunt
Info:New York : Dial Press, c2012.
Rating:*****
Tags:coming of age

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

English (106)  Swedish (1)  All languages (107)
This book was recommended to me by my best friend last week; and like every time she suggests a book, it is just perfect. For me, it is extremely meaningful when someone you consider special in your life gets to know you so well that you feel you can trust them until the end of days. Her knowing what book I would love reminds me of how important she is to me and even though we are far apart, she is the closest to my heart.
Now on to the book! Tell the Wolves I'm Home is in my top ten favorite books of all times, without a doubt. I knew it from chapter one where I felt that the author knew exactly what to say and how to say it and I found myself in tears. This is a very moving book narrated by fourteen year old June. She has a very special relationship with her uncle Finn, who is sadly dying of AIDS. Mind you the setting of the book is right smack in the 1980's, so AIDS was fairly new and all sorts if misconceptions and taboos were flying loosely everywhere. After Finn dies, June meets for the first time Finn's partner, Toby. Slowly, a relationship starts to emerge based on their love for Finn. They share good times, bad times and sad moments until the inevitable surfaces.
I have read that people say this book is a coming of age one because all that happens makes June mature; but for me this is a book about a love story -actually about multiple love stories that make your heart ache to have someone like Finn and Toby in your life.
You find yourself out of breath reading this book! You feel your heart braking and all you can do is sit and read and loose yourself in the story. The wording, the phrasing and the honesty of it all makes this novel a fabulous read that wedges itself in your heart, sets camp and stays with you well after you turned the last page.
Thanks for the tip, you mother of multiples ;) ( )
  AleAleta | Jul 30, 2014 |
I never know whether to post about books that I refuse to finish. I thought this story started out well but quickly got repetitive, boring, and a little disconcerting. The young teen girl is a overly attached to her maternal uncle, who dies of AIDS. The uncle's gay partner finds the girl and seeks out a friendship with her, secretly making plans with her behind her parents' backs and sharing information about her uncle to her. He also encourages her to smoke and drink alcohol and act in deceptive ways. Halfway through I was both disturbed by his role (what adult male is interested in a young teen girl???) and the fact that he appeared to be the good guy of the story. Eventually, I was bored and didn't want to see where the story was going so I gave this one up. ( )
  voracious | Jul 28, 2014 |
One of my new favorites. This isn't a fast, action packed novel-it's far more subtle which allows you to really sink into the characters' world. Brunt paints such a lovely picture of love, loss, family, envy, and coming of age. Bittersweet and moving. I've already given it as a gift to someone. ( )
  LaurenMae85 | Jul 14, 2014 |
I picked this book up by chance and am so glad I did! Brunt's ability to bring June's feelings to life was amazing. I grieved for June's lost relationship with Greta and was excited for her new-found relationship with Toby. As she searches for a way to hold her to dead uncle, she finds a way to connect with her sister and bring her family together. Along the way, she learns that life isn't always what is appears to be. Finn had a life that June knew nothing about. Greta would use alcohol to cope. June chose to venture to New York, without telling her parents, and build a relationship with Toby. She chose to show Toby the same unconditional love that Finn showed her. ( )
  eliza_jane | Jul 8, 2014 |
This book! THIS. BOOK. Aargh, this book made me feel so make so much. I am not someone who waxes on and on about that delights of books. Ok, who am I kidding? Yes, I totally am, however, this review is completely true. I really LOVED this book. June was me, I was June. I felt every bit of heartache when she did. I worried when she worried about Greta, her sister. I was embarrassed when she was embarrassed about who she loved. This book did that. And I loved every moment of it. I almost want to read it again but I am worried that I won't enjoy it as much the second time because you can't go back sometimes. Just like June discovers in the book. Gah, I love this book so flipping much. ( )
  kitten20057 | Jul 5, 2014 |
For Maddy, Oakley, and Julia
My sister, Greta, and I were having our portrait painted by our uncle Finn that afternoon because he knew he was dying.
You could try to believe what you wanted, but it never worked. Your brain and your heart decided what you were going to believe and that was that. Whether you liked it or not.
You could never see any wolves in there. They hid, probably trying to pretend they weren't in a cage. Probably knowing that they looked just like plain old dogs when they were behind bars.
The gold in our hair looked so perfect right then, and I knew we both saw it. We could see the way it made us look like the closest of sisters. Girls made of exactly the same stuff.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679644199, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, June 2012: In Tell the Wolves I’m Home, Carol Rifka Brunt has made a singular portrait of the late-‘80s AIDS epidemic’s transformation of a girl and her family. But beyond that, she tells a universal story of how love chooses us, and how flashes of our beloved live through us even after they’re gone. Before her Uncle Finn died of an illness people don’t want to talk about, 14-year-old June Elbus thought she was the center of his world. A famous and reclusive painter, Finn made her feel uniquely understood, privy to secret knowledge like how to really hear Mozart’s Requiem or see the shape of negative space. When he’s gone, she discovers he had a bigger secret: his longtime partner Toby, the only other person who misses him as much as she does. Her clandestine friendship with Toby—who her parents blame for Finn’s illness—sharpens tensions with her sister, Greta, until their bond seems to exist only in the portrait Finn painted of them. With wry compassion, Brunt portrays the bitter lengths to which we will go to hide our soft underbellies, and how summoning the courage to be vulnerable is the only way to see through to each other’s hungry, golden souls. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:58 -0400)

It is 1987, and only one person has ever truly understood fourteen-year-old June Elbus -- her uncle, the renowned painter Finn Weiss. Shy at school and distant from her older sister, June can only be herself in Finn's company; he is her godfather, confidant, and best friend. So when he dies, far too young, of a mysterious illness her mother can barely speak about, June's world is turned upside down. But Finn's death brings a surprise acquaintance into June's life -- someone who will help her to heal, and to question what she thinks she knows about Finn, her family, and even her own heart.… (more)

513 wanted2 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,727,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible