Tell the wolves I'm home : a novel by…

Tell the wolves I'm home : a novel (edition 2012)

by Carol Rifka Brunt

1,092None7,580 (4.21)59
Member:twinkley
Title:Tell the wolves I'm home : a novel
Authors:Carol Rifka Brunt
Info:New York : Dial Press, c2012.
Rating:*****
Tags:coming of age

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

Recently added bykarand, private library, kjchenicek, gsisson, GlitterFem, Y2Ash, rmacd47, HeddaLo
1980s (23) 2012 (15) 2013 (30) AIDS (84) art (18) artists (10) bildungsroman (6) coming of age (44) contemporary fiction (11) death (15) ebook (18) family (25) family relationships (8) fiction (118) grief (18) Kindle (8) loss (7) love (7) New York (25) New York City (23) read (9) read in 2013 (13) relationships (8) secrets (7) sisters (29) to-read (138) uncle (8) wishlist (8) YA (12) young adult (17)

English (95)  Swedish (1)  All languages (96)
this book filled my heart to overflowing - a debut novel about an awkward, wonderful 14 year old girl and her deep love for her uncle who died of AIDS, and later for his lover - but this is about so much more than that - about secrets and family and misunderstandings, and all the ways that one can love, and forgiveness and joy and art and freedom - i loved that young girl and loved the ways that the author sat inside her head and brought her to life for me - i was enchanted by this book - ( )
  njinthesun | Apr 15, 2014 |
I read a review about this book online somewhere that said it was pretty good so I put it on hold at the library and I have to admit that for the first few chapters I was slightly bored but I'm glad I kept at it because I ended up enjoying this book very much and falling in love with the characters. It became a quick read, a page turner for me.

June Elbus is 13 years old when her uncle Finn, her best friend and her godfather, dies of Aids in 1982. She is hurt and angry and feels left behind until she finds an unlikely friend in Finn's "other half", Toby whom she had not known during Finn's life. It was a family secret kept from her because her mother felt like Toby gave the Aids to Finn and refused to have any relationship with him or let her family know him. But we know that love always prevails and the family does come together full circle in the end. ( )
  clayhollow | Apr 8, 2014 |
June at age 14 has all the young teen awkwardness and none of the seemingly easy popularity she admires in her sister Greta. She is secretly in love with her uncle, famous painter Finn Weiss, with whom she shares a close relationship...but not so close that she knows he's gay and dying of AIDS. Improbable though her ignorance is, it's the mechanism Brunt chose to reveal the themes of discovery and forgiveness, set against a backdrop of 1980's era misunderstandings and fear surrounding the AIDS epidemic. The "reveals" are not deft but Brunt writes June and Toby, Finn's partner, with such care and sympathy that the reader feels every nuanced emotion. ( )
  quirkylibrarian | Apr 7, 2014 |
Oh my god, this book was devastating. I literally just finished it and I just... I just...

Thanks to all my librarian friends who highly recommended it. I never would have found this on my own and that would have been a tragedy. ( )
  Johanna_Talbott | Apr 7, 2014 |
This isn’t really going to be a proper review; I wasn’t really into book reviewing when I read this book, so I didn’t write down my thoughts. I just wanted to put it out there that it’s one of those books that I feel everyone should read. It’s just beautifully written, and while it is heartbreaking, it is also full of hope.

This book came into my life at just the right time. My father had passed away in July, and I found myself starting books and putting them down repeatedly. I was going through the worst case of reader’s block that I have ever experienced in my life. My fiance, knowing that I had wanted to read this book, bought it for me.

I’m pretty sure that this book brought me back from the dead, and I will always remember it being the saving grace that allowed me to finally cry and let myself feel something other than emptiness. It will forever hold a spot in my heart for that.

Also posted on my blog ( )
  raisedbybooks | Mar 12, 2014 |
For Maddy, Oakley, and Julia
My sister, Greta, and I were having our portrait painted by our uncle Finn that afternoon because he knew he was dying.
You could try to believe what you wanted, but it never worked. Your brain and your heart decided what you were going to believe and that was that. Whether you liked it or not.
You could never see any wolves in there. They hid, probably trying to pretend they weren't in a cage. Probably knowing that they looked just like plain old dogs when they were behind bars.
The gold in our hair looked so perfect right then, and I knew we both saw it. We could see the way it made us look like the closest of sisters. Girls made of exactly the same stuff.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679644199, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, June 2012: In Tell the Wolves I’m Home, Carol Rifka Brunt has made a singular portrait of the late-‘80s AIDS epidemic’s transformation of a girl and her family. But beyond that, she tells a universal story of how love chooses us, and how flashes of our beloved live through us even after they’re gone. Before her Uncle Finn died of an illness people don’t want to talk about, 14-year-old June Elbus thought she was the center of his world. A famous and reclusive painter, Finn made her feel uniquely understood, privy to secret knowledge like how to really hear Mozart’s Requiem or see the shape of negative space. When he’s gone, she discovers he had a bigger secret: his longtime partner Toby, the only other person who misses him as much as she does. Her clandestine friendship with Toby—who her parents blame for Finn’s illness—sharpens tensions with her sister, Greta, until their bond seems to exist only in the portrait Finn painted of them. With wry compassion, Brunt portrays the bitter lengths to which we will go to hide our soft underbellies, and how summoning the courage to be vulnerable is the only way to see through to each other’s hungry, golden souls. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:58 -0400)

"1987. There's only one person who has ever truly understood fourteen-year-old June Elbus, and that's her uncle, the renowned painter Finn Weiss. Shy at school and distant from her older sister, June can only be herself in Finn's company; he is her godfather, confidant, and best friend. So when he dies, far too young, of a mysterious illness her mother can barely speak about, June's world is turned upside down. But Finn's death brings a surprise acquaintance into June's life-someone who will help her to heal, and to question what she thinks she knows about Finn, her family, and even her own heart. At Finn's funeral, June notices a strange man lingering just beyond the crowd. A few days later, she receives a package in the mail. Inside is a beautiful teapot she recognizes from Finn's apartment, and a note from Toby, the stranger, asking for an opportunity to meet. As the two begin to spend time together, June realizes she's not the only one who misses Finn, and if she can bring herself to trust this unexpected friend, he just might be the one she needs the most."--Dust jacket.… (more)

513 wanted2 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,618 books! | Top bar: Always visible