Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka…

Tell the Wolves I'm Home (edition 2012)

by Carol Rifka Brunt, Amy Rubinate (Reader)

Member:Debodot
Title:Tell the Wolves I'm Home
Authors:Carol Rifka Brunt
Other authors:Amy Rubinate (Reader)
Info:Blackstone Audio, Inc. (2012), Edition: Unabridged MP3CD, MP3 CD
Rating:*****
Tags:aids, 1980s, sisters, death, mourning

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

English (108)  Swedish (1)  All languages (109)
This writing isn't spectacular; it's good, but it isn't as subtle or mysterious or beautiful or poignant as the story. The story is sad and wonderful and hard. ( )
  Michelle_Detorie | Nov 18, 2014 |
June is the youngest of two sisters. Her older sister, Greta, is the high school sweetheart, the beauty, the actress, the poised one...and then there is June Elbus. At least that is the way June sees herself - as the 'other' Elbus sister.

But, June has a couple of secret passions - imagining that she can roll back time to the dark ages and her uncle Finn. Unfortunately, both of these passions are rather impossible. Finn has Aids and well, time travel is frowned on.

Brunt guides the reader onto a back and forth Playland ride between June's current reality and moments with Finn in and around New York. Some of her moments were shared with Greta as Finn, a famous artist, painted their portrait on the last of his Sundays. Other moments were precious memories of time alone with Finn - at the Cloisters, listening to Requiem, wandering around Finn's New York.

And then Finn dies.

In the weeks that follow June's life changes as she meets and becomes friends with Finn's 'murderer', Toby - his partner. June's mom had threatened to cut off all ties between Finn and the girls if he whispered a hint of his partner to them - Toby is a complete stranger. So, when Toby delivers an odd package with a cryptic note to June it is the first she knows anything of this other half of Finn's life. As June figures out what to do with this growing friendship her relationship with Greta becomes more and more fractured - until it all comes to a head one stormy night.

This is a story of growing up - of learning hard truths about the ones you love and making the decision to accept that imperfection or reject it. It is a story of the cords that bind families together and sometimes smother them. It is a story of the hard reality of Aids and one young girl's fight to keep fear and pain at bay. It is a story of moving from the passions of our imagination to the realities of our own lives.

I loved this book! I cried and laughed and hurt and remembered. I remembered those last few moments of childhood before I understood that the world may not be the one that I dreamed it would be.

Read it!! ( )
  kebets | Nov 1, 2014 |
Unfortunately, I wasn't into this one all that much. It was more of a skim-read than anything. ( )
  Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |
This book was recommended to me by my best friend last week; and like every time she suggests a book, it is just perfect. For me, it is extremely meaningful when someone you consider special in your life gets to know you so well that you feel you can trust them until the end of days. Her knowing what book I would love reminds me of how important she is to me and even though we are far apart, she is the closest to my heart.
Now on to the book! Tell the Wolves I'm Home is in my top ten favorite books of all times, without a doubt. I knew it from chapter one where I felt that the author knew exactly what to say and how to say it and I found myself in tears. This is a very moving book narrated by fourteen year old June. She has a very special relationship with her uncle Finn, who is sadly dying of AIDS. Mind you the setting of the book is right smack in the 1980's, so AIDS was fairly new and all sorts if misconceptions and taboos were flying loosely everywhere. After Finn dies, June meets for the first time Finn's partner, Toby. Slowly, a relationship starts to emerge based on their love for Finn. They share good times, bad times and sad moments until the inevitable surfaces.
I have read that people say this book is a coming of age one because all that happens makes June mature; but for me this is a book about a love story -actually about multiple love stories that make your heart ache to have someone like Finn and Toby in your life.
You find yourself out of breath reading this book! You feel your heart braking and all you can do is sit and read and loose yourself in the story. The wording, the phrasing and the honesty of it all makes this novel a fabulous read that wedges itself in your heart, sets camp and stays with you well after you turned the last page.
Thanks for the tip, you mother of multiples ;) ( )
  AleAleta | Jul 30, 2014 |
I never know whether to post about books that I refuse to finish. I thought this story started out well but quickly got repetitive, boring, and a little disconcerting. The young teen girl is a overly attached to her maternal uncle, who dies of AIDS. The uncle's gay partner finds the girl and seeks out a friendship with her, secretly making plans with her behind her parents' backs and sharing information about her uncle to her. He also encourages her to smoke and drink alcohol and act in deceptive ways. Halfway through I was both disturbed by his role (what adult male is interested in a young teen girl???) and the fact that he appeared to be the good guy of the story. Eventually, I was bored and didn't want to see where the story was going so I gave this one up. ( )
  voracious | Jul 28, 2014 |
For Maddy, Oakley, and Julia
My sister, Greta, and I were having our portrait painted by our uncle Finn that afternoon because he knew he was dying.
You could try to believe what you wanted, but it never worked. Your brain and your heart decided what you were going to believe and that was that. Whether you liked it or not.
You could never see any wolves in there. They hid, probably trying to pretend they weren't in a cage. Probably knowing that they looked just like plain old dogs when they were behind bars.
The gold in our hair looked so perfect right then, and I knew we both saw it. We could see the way it made us look like the closest of sisters. Girls made of exactly the same stuff.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679644199, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, June 2012: In Tell the Wolves I’m Home, Carol Rifka Brunt has made a singular portrait of the late-‘80s AIDS epidemic’s transformation of a girl and her family. But beyond that, she tells a universal story of how love chooses us, and how flashes of our beloved live through us even after they’re gone. Before her Uncle Finn died of an illness people don’t want to talk about, 14-year-old June Elbus thought she was the center of his world. A famous and reclusive painter, Finn made her feel uniquely understood, privy to secret knowledge like how to really hear Mozart’s Requiem or see the shape of negative space. When he’s gone, she discovers he had a bigger secret: his longtime partner Toby, the only other person who misses him as much as she does. Her clandestine friendship with Toby—who her parents blame for Finn’s illness—sharpens tensions with her sister, Greta, until their bond seems to exist only in the portrait Finn painted of them. With wry compassion, Brunt portrays the bitter lengths to which we will go to hide our soft underbellies, and how summoning the courage to be vulnerable is the only way to see through to each other’s hungry, golden souls. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:58 -0400)

It is 1987, and only one person has ever truly understood fourteen-year-old June Elbus -- her uncle, the renowned painter Finn Weiss. Shy at school and distant from her older sister, June can only be herself in Finn's company; he is her godfather, confidant, and best friend. So when he dies, far too young, of a mysterious illness her mother can barely speak about, June's world is turned upside down. But Finn's death brings a surprise acquaintance into June's life -- someone who will help her to heal, and to question what she thinks she knows about Finn, her family, and even her own heart.… (more)

513 wanted2 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,052,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible