Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka…

Tell the Wolves I'm Home (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Carol Rifka Brunt, Amy Rubinate (Reader)

Title:Tell the Wolves I'm Home
Authors:Carol Rifka Brunt
Other authors:Amy Rubinate (Reader)
Info:Blackstone Audio, Inc. (2012), Edition: Unabridged MP3CD, MP3 CD
Tags:aids, 1980s, sisters, death, mourning

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (2012)

English (128)  Swedish (1)  All languages (129)
It's 1987 and fourteen-year-old June's godfather, uncle, and best friend Finn, who is also a famous painter, is dying of AIDS. Introverted and solitary, June and her older sister Greta used to be close but have grown apart, just as her mother and Finn grew apart. During his last few months Finn paints a portrait of the sisters, finishing it just prior to his death. At the funeral June sees a strange man who turns out to be Finn's long time partner Toby, reviled by her mother who blames him for Finn contracting AIDS. June grows close to Toby as they both try and hold on to Finn's memory, but Toby is also suffering from AIDS. Greta, who resented June's close relationship with Finn is frustrated by her growing closeness to Toby and this expresses itself as nastiness. A bittersweet story, capturing the mood of the time when AIDS was still so new and misunderstood. The personal growth of the character and the emotional response to events is well crafted. Worth reading. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Oct 3, 2015 |
Written from the voice of teenage girl about her uncle dying of AIDS in the 1980s. Sweet, loving book which kept me engaged to the end. Well written with insight into human nature ( )
  lindaspangler | Sep 24, 2015 |
What a wonderful book! The year is 1987 and AIDS is something new and terribly frightening. This story is told by 14-year old June, whose uncle/godfather, Finn, has died from the disease. Her mother's only sibling, Finn was a renowned artist and to June, the most wonderful and exciting person in the world. At first, the reader only gets to know him through the eyes of June, but she soon discovers that there is much, much more to him than she ever knew. The story is beautifully told and I fell in love with several of the characters, including the dead Finn. Highly recommended! ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
A quick read with an engaging story and characters. Parts were a bit unrealistic, but I got over it. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
This was an exceptional read that brought me to tears. Throughout the book the characters grew individually and with each other. Everything was brought together beautifully, showing all of the feelings that each character struggled with. Perfectly told. I could not put it down. ( )
  LanaMarie | Jul 15, 2015 |
For Maddy, Oakley, and Julia
My sister, Greta, and I were having our portrait painted by our uncle Finn that afternoon because he knew he was dying.
You could try to believe what you wanted, but it never worked. Your brain and your heart decided what you were going to believe and that was that. Whether you liked it or not.
You could never see any wolves in there. They hid, probably trying to pretend they weren't in a cage. Probably knowing that they looked just like plain old dogs when they were behind bars.
The gold in our hair looked so perfect right then, and I knew we both saw it. We could see the way it made us look like the closest of sisters. Girls made of exactly the same stuff.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679644199, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, June 2012: In Tell the Wolves I’m Home, Carol Rifka Brunt has made a singular portrait of the late-‘80s AIDS epidemic’s transformation of a girl and her family. But beyond that, she tells a universal story of how love chooses us, and how flashes of our beloved live through us even after they’re gone. Before her Uncle Finn died of an illness people don’t want to talk about, 14-year-old June Elbus thought she was the center of his world. A famous and reclusive painter, Finn made her feel uniquely understood, privy to secret knowledge like how to really hear Mozart’s Requiem or see the shape of negative space. When he’s gone, she discovers he had a bigger secret: his longtime partner Toby, the only other person who misses him as much as she does. Her clandestine friendship with Toby—who her parents blame for Finn’s illness—sharpens tensions with her sister, Greta, until their bond seems to exist only in the portrait Finn painted of them. With wry compassion, Brunt portrays the bitter lengths to which we will go to hide our soft underbellies, and how summoning the courage to be vulnerable is the only way to see through to each other’s hungry, golden souls. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:21 -0400)

It is 1987, and only one person has ever truly understood fourteen-year-old June Elbus -- her uncle, the renowned painter Finn Weiss. Shy at school and distant from her older sister, June can only be herself in Finn's company; he is her godfather, confidant, and best friend. So when he dies, far too young, of a mysterious illness her mother can barely speak about, June's world is turned upside down. But Finn's death brings a surprise acquaintance into June's life -- someone who will help her to heal, and to question what she thinks she knows about Finn, her family, and even her own heart.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,774,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible