Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka…

Tell the Wolves I'm Home (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Carol Rifka Brunt, Amy Rubinate (Reader)

Member:Debodot
Title:Tell the Wolves I'm Home
Authors:Carol Rifka Brunt
Other authors:Amy Rubinate (Reader)
Info:Blackstone Audio, Inc. (2012), Edition: Unabridged MP3CD, MP3 CD
Rating:*****
Tags:aids, 1980s, sisters, death, mourning

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (2012)

English (173)  Swedish (1)  All (174)
This is the opposite of escapist fiction. This forces you to admit to ugly things about yourself and the nature of love and sibling dynamics that you'd rather were kept out of sight, or stowed away in an emotional basement. Felt weird about June's relationship with her uncle at first, then about Toby, but somehow I warmed up to their friendship. There were times I really hated Greta, and to a lesser extent, their mom, despite understanding the jealousy and hurt that drove them to act that way. I disliked the way this book made me feel, but I liked this book. I don't mean to sound cryptic on purpose. I hope someone knows what I mean. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
Shattered. Destroyed. That's the current state of my heart.

This book had me crying from chapter 1 and then it just turned me into a blubbering mess by the end of it.

A very sad yet realistic coming of age story. ( )
  lapiccolina | Jun 23, 2017 |
03/3/2016
i haven't cried this much since the order of the phoenix IT'S NOT FAIR. this is one of the best books i've ever read it is so real and i absolutely loved June and i got so attached to Toby i can't believe this oh god. how can something be so beautiful and touching and just so so sad ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
Bellissimo e tristissimo. ( )
  Angela.Me | Jun 10, 2017 |
A slow-moving yet delicious read. There is much beauty in this, but I think it could have done with some editing. ( )
  Soulmuser | May 30, 2017 |
For Maddy, Oakley, and Julia
My sister, Greta, and I were having our portrait painted by our uncle Finn that afternoon because he knew he was dying.
You could try to believe what you wanted, but it never worked. Your brain and your heart decided what you were going to believe and that was that. Whether you liked it or not.
You could never see any wolves in there. They hid, probably trying to pretend they weren't in a cage. Probably knowing that they looked just like plain old dogs when they were behind bars.
The gold in our hair looked so perfect right then, and I knew we both saw it. We could see the way it made us look like the closest of sisters. Girls made of exactly the same stuff.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679644199, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, June 2012: In Tell the Wolves I’m Home, Carol Rifka Brunt has made a singular portrait of the late-‘80s AIDS epidemic’s transformation of a girl and her family. But beyond that, she tells a universal story of how love chooses us, and how flashes of our beloved live through us even after they’re gone. Before her Uncle Finn died of an illness people don’t want to talk about, 14-year-old June Elbus thought she was the center of his world. A famous and reclusive painter, Finn made her feel uniquely understood, privy to secret knowledge like how to really hear Mozart’s Requiem or see the shape of negative space. When he’s gone, she discovers he had a bigger secret: his longtime partner Toby, the only other person who misses him as much as she does. Her clandestine friendship with Toby—who her parents blame for Finn’s illness—sharpens tensions with her sister, Greta, until their bond seems to exist only in the portrait Finn painted of them. With wry compassion, Brunt portrays the bitter lengths to which we will go to hide our soft underbellies, and how summoning the courage to be vulnerable is the only way to see through to each other’s hungry, golden souls. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:21 -0400)

"1987. The only one person who has ever truly understood fourteen-year-old June Elbus is her uncle, the renowned painter Finn Weiss. Shy at school and distant from her older sister, June can only be herself in Finn's company; he is her godfather, confidant, and best friend. So when he dies, far too young, of a mysterious illness her mother can barely speak about, June's world is turned upside down. But Finn's death brings a surprise acquaintance into June's life ... June realizes she's not the only one who misses Finn, and that this unexpected friend just might be the one she needs the most"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,165,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible