No title

Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Love? Maybe. by Heather Hepler

Due to copy and paste, formatting has been lost.

Love? Maybe was the perfect embodiment of what I've come to expect from Heather Hepler: fluff. She writes some of the fluffiest and cutest books, but I just can't really connect with her characters or her storylines. It was predictable as all get out, but ultimately forgettable.

I wanted Piper and Charlie to be together. I thought that they would be absolutely adorable together, and I was just waiting for that romance to happen - but I feel like I really didn't get real romance with this one. It was sweet, that's for sure; but I felt no chemistry between them.

Piper was an okay sort of character, but like I said before... I just can't connect with these characters. I did, however, like Charlie. He was a sweet guy, and truly lit up every scene that he was in, but he just wasn't in the book enough. Truly, I wanted to see more of him.

This book was completely full of predictability - and not really the good kind. The predictable that made me just want to have a long serious talk with Piper. She... she's just super dense. All in all, Love? Maybe was an okay read - I even enjoyed it, but it was ultimately forgettable. ( )
  MVTheBookBabe | Dec 25, 2013 |
2.5 stars

Overall, this was a cute read that left me feeling happy at the end (which was why I rounded up instead of down).

Piper, our heroine, is a super responsible 16? 17? (idk, we were never told how old she was or what grade she was in) year old. Her mom's a single mother who owns her own business, so a lot of the daily household and parenting duties (to her two young siblings) falls on her shoulders. After her father and stepfather both bailed on her life, she's cynical and jaded when it comes to love. Enter BFF on the scene with a Valentine's plan to get the three friends dates for the big day. It involves some (fake?) magic and some yummy treats. I didn't really get the unexplainable situations behind the whole "magic" situation. It was never touched on after the initial instances, and at the beginning of this book, I was actually wondering if this was supposed to be a paranormal YA. That was one of many things I just didn't get with this book. The intent was there, but the execution was just sort of...lacking.

This was told in first person narration, and while I didn't mind Piper's voice, I also couldn't connect with her very much. The writing style felt choppy and scattered, and it seemed to focus on inconsequential details rather than the important things. (I don't need to know how she got from her bedroom to the car outside and every step in between). Rather than focusing on that, I wish we would've gotten more meat, and I really wish we would've been given some physical descriptions of the characters. We got none.

There was also a whole lot of, "What was that look for?" and cut off sentences where characters didn't finish their thoughts...way too much secrecy and I didn't understand the purpose of it at all. For me, the story came together in the last 10% of the book. I wish we would've had more substance in the rest of the book, and I really wish we would've gotten more Charlie because what tiny little bit we saw of him was great and he had the potential to be super swoony.

...And I just reread what I wrote and realized I said "wish" about 47 times. That pretty much sums it up. I wished for a whole lot more than I got.

All in all, not a bad read, but not something that will stick with me or something I'd reread again. ( )
  CreativeJunkie | Sep 23, 2013 |
This had a somewhat similar situation to E. Lockhart's Ruby Oliver series, but with a much different voice from the main character. Somewhat predictable, but still enjoyable. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Mar 14, 2013 |
Underrated. That is the adjective that I decided best fits this novel. It deserves way more attention than it has gotten. I really enjoyed this story! Mostly because I loved the main character. And all the supporting characters. And all the characters that were mentioned for about two seconds. Everything about this book is just really likable. It is one of those books that you feel good reading, that you want to keep reading because the environment is like a hug. Even when things aren't so perfect for the characters, there is a warm, cozy place to retreat to.

Piper was born on Valentine's Day, but she'd be the first to tell you that it means absolutely nothing. On a sliding spectrum, she'd be closer to cynic than romantic. But when her best friend's heart gets broken (again - more proof that boys are trouble) she finds that according to the unwritten best friend code, she has to go along with the plan to make everything better. Even if that means finding a date for Valentine's Day...

Anyone who likes YA contemporaries is sure to like this book. It has a great mix of feel good with real life and a pinch of issues to form a most delectable concoction! Oh wait, did I mention like a third of the book takes places in the most awesome sounding candy shop? This book isn't just cuddly- it's sweet! (But maybe that's just because I had to buy a bar of chocolate to continue reading...)

But seriously, this novel is a great read. Perfectly paced and enjoyable, but not fake. The story is light, sure, but there are also darker undertones of divorce, depression and overall heartbreak. I would definitely recommend it.

P.S: Note to Charlie - I do all the voices! (That is in no way sexual.... you'd get it if you read it. Now you want to know, don't you!) ( )
  ilikethesebooks | Mar 31, 2012 |
I'm surprised that the word "cynical" doesn't appear in the book description, because it sure shows up a lot in the actual book. I've never been one to throw books on the ground and stomp on them or anything (except at the end of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince), but I swear I was ready to do so if I read the word "cynical" one more time. I get it. Piper is cynical. But does that mean she needs to tell us constantly that she's cynical? Does that mean that other people need to continuously remind us about how cynical she is? Did you know that Piper is cynical?! Because I apparently didn't and needed to be reminded every five pages.

Now that my rant is over, I can assure you that Love? Maybe really isn't so bad, once you get past the overuse of that word. The story is sweet and Piper really isn't as pessimistic as the author would apparently like you to believe. I think that's what bothered me the most about the overuse of the aforementioned word: we're constantly being told how ------- she is, but she really is a caring individual and a good friend who just maybe doesn't believe that everyone is destined to fall madly in love. She rarely puts herself above others, and it is that selflessness (which I think would be hard to find in most cynics) that helps her to develop in other areas throughout the novel.

I also loved how "clean" this story was, and that no one was really made out to be a villain (except maybe Stuart, but I get that). No one is having horribly meaningless and unnecessary-to-the-plot-line sex. No one is swearing up a storm because so-and-so doesn't love them. And most of all, no one, especially not Piper, is walking around putting people down just because things don't work out the way they'd hoped. And it's not as if the characters are all having happy, hunky-dory lives, either. Things are happening, people are stressing out, and I know I would have stooped to much lower levels under the duress some of the characters face. I think all of the characters (except Stuart) are class acts, and it's truly refreshing to read a story like that. I'd feel comfortable recommending Love? Maybe to teens and even pre-teens who want to read something "older," without reservation. ( )
  rrhsmichelle | Mar 21, 2012 |
Claire tells me it's the romantic that my birthday is on Valentine's Day, but then she think's it's romantic when Stuart remembers to say excuse me after he burps.

Just because Piper's birthday is on Valentine's Day does not mean she's a romantic. In fact, after watching her father and then her stepfather leave, she's pretty sure she doesn't believe in love at all. Then her friends concoct a plan to find them all Valentine's dates, and somehow Piper finds herself with the most popular guy in school. But true love never follows a plan, and a string of heartfelt gifts from a secret admirer has Piper wondering if she might be with the wrong guy.

In this heartwarming romance, true love is more than a maybe - and it might be closer than you think.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:34 -0400)

Wary of romance following her mother's second divorce and resistering her friends' attempts to fix her up with the hottest guy in school, Piper's life gets complicated when she receives a series of Valentines from a secret admirer.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,780,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible