Secrets of the Vine for Women by Darlene…

Secrets of the Vine for Women

by Darlene Marie Wilkinson

I couldn't not get into this book simple because,basically I was trying to understand where it was going.It talks about a vinyard, the growth of it,but it its being compared to the teachings of the bible.When it was talking about the vineyard it was as though she was (the author) refering to her past as a child. Then it goes on to quote some scriptures frome the bible.Then she poses question in the book as though(the author) is tryng to connect with the reader.After that it explain a couple of situations were it refering to the bible,and the vineyard.When I think I'm settle into her (the Author) explaining ,and possible helping someone out,it goes back to the story of her being in a vineyard,and how her father carefully takes care of the vines,and the fruit from it.

I just couldn't connect,or you might say follow the path that the author was trying to potray in her book,and to be quite honest I didn't get the conection of the vineyard,and how the bible were one in the same.It was like her explaining the bible through a story from her past of being on a vineyard then it goes on with helping some one with the explantion of the bible.Then in a couple of paragraphs she would say in the next few chapters you(the reader) will understand or follow what I'm talking about,as though reading it wouldn't just explian what she was already talking about.

So in other words I just had to put the book aside.It was to much of trying to follow what the book was all about. ( )
  FaEllis | Feb 19, 2012 |
Why a “Secrets of the Vine for Women” when there already was a secrets of the vine? Darlene Marie writes “Whenever I teach on this subject, women consistently express a desire to go deeper. They want to learn more about how Jesus’ vineyard conversation applies to their experiences as women in today’s world. In short, they want to continue the conversation”. Isn’t that so true of women !

John 15 tells us the Jesus is the vine, God the vinedresser, and we as Christ followers are the branches.
We are to bear fruit or do ‘good work’ as God has designed us to do. There are degrees of fruit bearing, or levels of good work.

Level 1… no fruit
Level 2… fruit
Level 3… more fruit
Level 4… much fruit

We need to be pruned by God just as the grape vines are pruned to bear more fruit. Darlene Marie shares examples of life stories from women who were being pruned and how that developed more fruit.
God invites us to abide in Him, as that is the only way to produce the much fruit. We abide in Him by spending time with Him, reading the Bible, prayer, and keeping a spiritual journal.

The book follows beautifully with the example of the grape vines and harvest season, weaving the visual of the grape growing and the abundance of fruit. Excerpts from “Secrets of the Vine Bible Study” as well as a study guide, lend themselves well to an individual study time or as a group setting on studying this passage in John.
  MelanieSki | May 25, 2011 |
I have read the Secrets of the Vine book, as well as the children's edition. So when I saw this as a book to review I took the opportunity. I am extremely glad I did. This book is just the right size for a quick read. The author's writing style keeps the book from being overwhelming in theology. Everything is very simple to understand and is uplifting and encouraging. I would highly recommend this book to every woman - we could all use a little encouragement from time to time. I did especially enjoy the illustration of Mary and Martha. Too often we are overwhelmed by what must be done that we do not take care of the most important task at hand - just spending time with Jesus. Our to-do lists often take precedence over our quiet time with the Lord to the point that we begin to neglect it by treating this relationship as just another item on the to-do list.

This books size and price make it an excellent gift or basket filler for ladies in your church. A great read for ALL women.

Thank you Waterbrook/Multnamah for this review copy. ( )
  Adayriddle | May 4, 2011 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,003,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible