The Blood Knight by Greg Keyes

The Blood Knight

by Greg Keyes

Series: Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone (3)

This excellent fantasy series ("Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone") is very
reminiscent of George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - except that
it's actually finished! (There's one more book in the series that I
haven't yet read.) It follows a similar format, structurally, and the
'feel' of the writing is very similar. The story itself, however, is
quite original - at least, more so than many fantasy epics. I mean,
it's still got Dark Forces and Bold Warriors and Beautiful Queens etc,
etc... but we want that, right?

In the third book, The Blood Knight, the composer Leoff finds himself
entangled with the cursed and undead usurper, Robert. His only hope of
escape may be to create a composition of deadly power - music that may
kill anyone who hears it performed. But what cost to his soul will
writing this music take?
Meanwhile, Princess Anne is still on the run - but has begun to accept
the prophecy that she must be Queen, and finds a new maturity and
authority that is necessary to her destiny.
Anne may be the only hope the land has - because foul and deadly
creatures are seemingly multiplying, laying waste to the forest and
the lands. The Holter Aspar, Stephen, and Aspar's young village
sweetheart, Winna, are desperately seeking an answer to a dire problem
that becomes worse every day...

And now, I really rather desperately need to get my hands on a copy of
the fourth (and final) book in the series! ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
This is the third book out of four in the Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series and I enjoyed it a lot – about as much as I enjoyed the second book. This book felt a little more concentrated on a smaller set of story lines and characters, although that perception may be inaccurate. I think in reality it had close to the same number of characters, but fewer distinct storylines because events have begun merging together more. However, the over-all story seems to be getting progressively more intricate and interesting as it goes on and the world continues to gain more and more depth.

This book explained a lot more about some aspects of the world and its inhabitants. By the end, I felt like I understood the big picture better. However, there are still lingering questions that will hopefully be answered in the fourth and final book. Some interesting events also occurred near the end, and a couple of choices were made that I’m sure will lead to more trouble. I look forward to seeing what happens in the final book, and I hope the ending will bring everything to a satisfying conclusion. ( )
  YouKneeK | Jun 4, 2015 |
Blood Knight has been an adventure unlike any that has been presented in the series before. It is an amazing addition to the collection and I am finding it mildly upsetting that I only have one book left to read. This world has been engaging and exciting to read in the past year and I cannot imagine how the story lines will play out in the final book.
  PhilipTroy | Jan 8, 2015 |
Essentially the same as the previous two books, which is to say engaging. Like the characters, like the story. I'm a bit confused about hoe everything will tie together, but that should be resolved in the last book... ( )
  zjakkelien | Apr 20, 2014 |
Nov10:

Starts to get a little heavy with the details. I still liked the rest of the series, but the first 2 were the best.

Characters: Most of the new ones just don't work for me. But plenty of the old ones are still alive.

Plot: We've gone too far. It's just a convoluted mess.

Style: The fighting is still good. A bit too much on intrigue though. ( )
  Isamoor | Nov 20, 2010 |

Greg Keyesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345440722, Mass Market Paperback)

Brimming with passion and adventure, Greg Keyes’s epic saga of a royal family’s fall from power through treachery and dark magic, set amid the return of ancient evils whose malevolence threatens to annihilate humanity, bids fair to become a classic of its kind. Now, in the eagerly awaited third installment, Keyes draws the threads of his tapestry ever tighter, illuminating old mysteries and introducing new ones as events build toward a shattering climax.

The legendary Briar King has awakened, spreading madness and destruction. Half-remembered, poorly understood prophecies seem to point to the young princess Anne Dare, rightful heir to the throne of Crotheny, as the world’s only hope. Yet Anne is hunted by the minions of the usurper Robert, whose return from the grave has opened a doorway through which sinister sorceries have poured into the world. Though Anne herself is the conduit of fearsome powers beyond her understanding and control, it is time for girl to become woman, princess to become queen. Anne must stop running and instead march at the head of an army to take back her kingdom . . . or die trying.

But a mysterious assassin stalks her, so skilled in the deadly fencing style of dessrata that even Anne’s friend and protector Cazio, a master of the form, cannot stand against him, nor can her sworn defender, the young knight Neil MeqVren.

As for Anne’s other companions–Aspar White, the royal holter who bears an enchanted arrow capable of felling the Briar King; and Stephen Darige, the monk who blew the horn that woke the Briar King from his slumber–they cannot help her, as their separate paths carry them ever deeper into a deadly maze of myth and magic from which return may be impossible.

Meanwhile, Queen Muriele is a prisoner of the false king. With no allies but a crippled musician, who is himself a prisoner, and a servingwoman who is both more and less than she seems, Muriele will find herself a pawn in Robert’s schemes for conquest–and a weapon to be used against her own daughter.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:48 -0400)

It's 1963 and Sally Mitchell, the well-bred daughter of a wealthy New Zealand sheep farmer, is on her way to England with her friend Pru. When the young women stop over in Sydney, their plans go awry. Sally impulsively takes a job as a governess at Barra Creek, and when the mail plane that flew her there takes off she finds herself left in a different world - one dominated by the overpowering John Monroe and his strict and proper wife Lorna. Here Sally's life changes forever. The challenges of coping with her three young charges, wild stockmen, the heat and the Wet, brumby musters and cattle rushes all pale beside a great passion, a great loss and a gruesome death. Only Lorna knows the truth of the death and of a terrible injustice. Now, in 2003, she searches for the former governess to finally set things right and share her horrific secret. Australian Women's Weekly Great Read Selection.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,723,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible